change display-resolution remotely - SGI

This is a discussion on change display-resolution remotely - SGI ; Hi there, i have the need to change the resolution of a octane2 via remote-login. Setmon should do the trick, but only at local consoles ... ist there a possibility to do this remote? Thanks Peter...

  1. change display-resolution remotely

    Hi there,

    i have the need to change the resolution of a octane2 via remote-login.
    Setmon should do the trick, but only at local consoles ... ist there a
    possibility to do this remote?

    Thanks
    Peter

  2. Re: change display-resolution remotely

    In article <1160141650.061196.259300@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:

    >i have the need to change the resolution of a octane2 via remote-login.
    >Setmon should do the trick, but only at local consoles ... ist there a
    >possibility to do this remote?

    $ man setmon
    setmon changes the video output format to the one specified; it also
    specifies the default video format to be used at system power-up or
    graphics initialization. setmon should be invoked after you have
    acquired root privileges. You must also set the DISPLAY environment
    variable to the local machine (e.g. :0.0) so that any GL calls that
    setmon makes will occur on the local machine, and not over a network
    interface.

  3. Re: change display-resolution remotely

    Walter Roberson schrieb:

    > You must also set the DISPLAY environment
    > variable to the local machine (e.g. :0.0) so that any GL calls that
    > setmon makes will occur on the local machine, and not over a network
    > interface.

    Sure - DISPLAY was set (set DISPAY=iris1:0.0) - sorry for not reporting
    this. But setmon complains anyway.

    Greets
    Peter

  4. Re: change display-resolution remotely

    Hello systembetreuer

    > Sure - DISPLAY was set (set DISPAY=iris1:0.0) - sorry for not reporting
    > this. But setmon complains anyway.

    Perhaps you don't have permissions to write to the Display. (something
    like xauth, which is normally disabled by SGI but that is insecure)

    Perhaps you can cut and paste the Error-Messages here?

    After that i'm sure we can help you.

    Bye
    --
    Marcus Siegl

  5. Re: change display-resolution remotely

    Marcus Siegl schrieb:
    > Perhaps you can cut and paste the Error-Messages here?

    (I access the octane with putty/rlogin. For the Display-Variable I have
    tried: 0.0, :0.0, 127.0.0.1:0.0, iris01:0.0 - all with the same
    result.)

    login: root
    Password:
    IRIX Release 6.5 IP30 iris01
    Copyright 1987-2002 Silicon Graphics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Last login: Mon Oct 9 10:09:46 MDT 2006 from mypc.our.domain
    iris01 root / >echo $DISPLAY
    mypc.our.domain:0
    iris01 root / >set DISPLAY=:0.0
    iris01 root / >echo $DISPLAY
    :0.0
    iris01 root / >/usr/gfx/setmon
    setmon: must run on local hardware.
    setmon: try setting DISPLAY to :0.0 or :0.1
    iris01 root / >

    > After that i'm sure we can help you.

    Hope this so much - thank you!

    Greets
    Peter

  6. Re: change display-resolution remotely -> solved

    systembetreuer@googlemail.com schrieb:
    > iris01 root / >set DISPLAY=:0.0

    .... setenv is the right syntax ... sorry for that, our main system is
    AIX, where env-settings will be set with export - im not so familar
    with irix ...

    Thanks@all!

    Peter

  7. Re: change display-resolution remotely

    Hello systembetreuer

    >> Perhaps you can cut and paste the Error-Messages here?

    > (I access the octane with putty/rlogin. For the Display-Variable I have
    > tried: 0.0, :0.0, 127.0.0.1:0.0, iris01:0.0 - all with the same
    > result.)

    Seems so.

    > iris01 root / >/usr/gfx/setmon
    > setmon: must run on local hardware.
    > setmon: try setting DISPLAY to :0.0 or :0.1
    > iris01 root / >

    Perhaps you have to set the Variable $DISPLAY for all following
    commands and forks.

    Try something like this:

    login
    password