Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5? - SGI

This is a discussion on Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5? - SGI ; Hey all, I've recently had the chance to mess around with a couple old O2 systems, running IRIX 6.5.5, which was the highest version I have acccess to, and I've been trying to update to a new web browser (NS ...

  1. Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5?

    Hey all,

    I've recently had the chance to mess around with a couple old O2
    systems, running IRIX 6.5.5, which was the highest version I have
    acccess to, and I've been trying to update to a new web browser (NS
    Communicator 4.61 just isn't adequate). I've tried using the recent
    versions from the nekochan archives, installed patches as necessary (I
    think?), but it just does a core dump while loading. Has anyone gotten
    newer software of this sort to run on 6.5.5? I'm somewhat familiar w/
    linux, but I'm a complete newb when it comes to IRIX, so any pointers
    in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks!

  2. Re: Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5?

    On 15 Sep 2006 13:46:18 -0700, "John" wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >I've recently had the chance to mess around with a couple old O2
    >systems, running IRIX 6.5.5, which was the highest version I have
    >acccess to, and I've been trying to update to a new web browser (NS
    >Communicator 4.61 just isn't adequate). I've tried using the recent
    >versions from the nekochan archives, installed patches as necessary (I
    >think?), but it just does a core dump while loading. Has anyone gotten
    >newer software of this sort to run on 6.5.5? I'm somewhat familiar w/
    >linux, but I'm a complete newb when it comes to IRIX, so any pointers
    >in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks!

    I believe the Nekochan packages require 6.5.21 or later.

    If you sign up for an account on the SGI website, you can download a
    set of 6.5.22 updates.

    -Shel

  3. Re: Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5?

    Thanks! I had more than one response to this, and upgrading to 6.5.22
    (which seems to be the latest version SGI has available without a paid
    support account) has made my life a world better. I was also able to
    get NFS working and upgrade a couple other systems that way.

    Sheldon T. Hall - DO NOT MAIL wrote:
    > On 15 Sep 2006 13:46:18 -0700, "John" wrote:
    >
    > >Hey all,
    > >
    > >I've recently had the chance to mess around with a couple old O2
    > >systems, running IRIX 6.5.5, which was the highest version I have
    > >acccess to, and I've been trying to update to a new web browser (NS
    > >Communicator 4.61 just isn't adequate). I've tried using the recent
    > >versions from the nekochan archives, installed patches as necessary (I
    > >think?), but it just does a core dump while loading. Has anyone gotten
    > >newer software of this sort to run on 6.5.5? I'm somewhat familiar w/
    > >linux, but I'm a complete newb when it comes to IRIX, so any pointers
    > >in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks!

    > I believe the Nekochan packages require 6.5.21 or later.
    >
    > If you sign up for an account on the SGI website, you can download a
    > set of 6.5.22 updates.
    >
    > -Shel

  4. Re: Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5?

    John wrote:
    > Thanks! I had more than one response to this, and upgrading to 6.5.22
    > (which seems to be the latest version SGI has available without a paid
    > support account) has made my life a world better. I was also able to
    > get NFS working and upgrade a couple other systems that way.

    Don´t miss the latest Firefox and Thunderbird from the
    "additional download" section, foetz´ contribution.

    Walther

  5. Re: Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5?

    Walther Mathieu wrote:

    > John wrote:
    > > Thanks! I had more than one response to this, and upgrading to 6.5.22
    > > (which seems to be the latest version SGI has available without a paid
    > > support account) has made my life a world better. I was also able to
    > > get NFS working and upgrade a couple other systems that way.

    > Don´t miss the latest Firefox and Thunderbird from the
    > "additional download" section, foetz´ contribution.

    thanks for the promo ;-)
    also keep in mind that the gtk2 builds might need newer libs than the ones from
    nekoware. i included a readme in all packages so be sure to have a look at it if
    there're any probs.

    --
    ah-consulting.net
    Götz Fischer

  6. Re: Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5?

    goetz fischer wrote:
    > Walther Mathieu wrote:
    >> Don´t miss the latest Firefox and Thunderbird from the
    >> "additional download" section, foetz´ contribution.
    >>

    > thanks for the promo ;-)

    de nada.

    > also keep in mind that the gtk2 builds might need newer libs than the
    > ones from nekoware. i included a readme in all packages so be sure to
    > have a look at it if there're any probs.

    I´d recommend the gtk1 build - gtk2 sux.

  7. Re: Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5?

    Walther Mathieu wrote:

    > I´d recommend the gtk1 build - gtk2 sux.

    my words :-)

    --
    ah-consulting.net
    Götz Fischer
    Senior Consultant
    Phone: +49(0)7225/98 98 79
    Fax: +49(0)7225/28 64
    eMail: g.fischer@ah-consulting.net
    http://www.ah-consulting.net
    http://www.ah-webhosting.com

  8. Re: Running a modern web browser on an old O2, IRIX 6.5.5?

    John wrote:

    > Thanks! I had more than one response to this, and upgrading to 6.5.22
    > (which seems to be the latest version SGI has available without a paid
    > support account) has made my life a world better. I was also able to
    > get NFS working and upgrade a couple other systems that way.

    I would recommend installing Mozilla as well as Firefox, Mozilla seems
    to work better for a few sites and has easier Flash plugin integration
    (I couldn't get the Flash plugin to work with Firefox, though I'm told
    it can be done). Can't recall off hand which version of Mozilla I
    have, could be the latest one from Nekochan. Personally I find Firefox
    is still a real dog of an app and runs like poo on anything but a
    really zippy SGI, i.e. faster than my 270 R12k O2!

+ Reply to Thread