XP Pro to Irix 6.5.19f GigE card: Poor TCP performance - SGI

This is a discussion on XP Pro to Irix 6.5.19f GigE card: Poor TCP performance - SGI ; Here's our problem: TCP data from our Windows XP Pro boxes to our Origin 2000 server always goes at 17MBytes/sec, even though they all have GigE cards running at full speed, full duplex. I'm using ttcp and pcattcp to test. ...

  1. XP Pro to Irix 6.5.19f GigE card: Poor TCP performance

    Here's our problem: TCP data from our Windows XP Pro boxes to our
    Origin 2000 server always goes at 17MBytes/sec, even though they all
    have GigE cards running at full speed, full duplex.

    I'm using ttcp and pcattcp to test. I've tested all combinations to
    and from our Windows, Linux and Irix boxen.For most combinations of
    sending data back and forth, Windows<->Linux, Linux<->Irix, and even
    Irix->Windows (though not Windows->Irix), the rates are ~50MBytes/sec.
    Windows->Irix is always 17MBytes/sec.

    The Origin 2000 has three optical GigE XIO cards, not trunked, and is
    running 6.5.19f.

    The correct card on the Origin always lights up during a test. We've
    tried two of the three cards, and gotten the same result with both. It
    doesn't seem to matter which brand of GigE card is in the XP box
    (Intel, Broadcom, DLink), whether or not the XP drivers are updated, or
    which XP box is used (various off-the-shelf and homebuilt machines).
    The result is always 17MBytes/sec.

    Any idea what might be going on here?

    Any idea how to fix it?

    Thanks.

    Andrew Klaassen

  2. Re: XP Pro to Irix 6.5.19f GigE card: Poor TCP performance

    clawsoon@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Any idea what might be going on here?
    >
    > Any idea how to fix it?

    I remember when installing a GigE card in an Origin200 that there
    was something one was supposed to do with systune to enhance
    the kernel parameters for operation of the GigE port. Did you do
    that? Can't remember what the changes are now, but they should
    be detailed in the GigE installation guide on techpubs.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

    PS. Irony: if you had IRIX/IRIX transmission, Origin can sustain
    980Mbit/sec, though it does need good CPUs to do this...

  3. Re: XP Pro to Irix 6.5.19f GigE card: Poor TCP performance

    In article <1159379026.339660.48760@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:

    >clawsoon@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> Any idea what might be going on here?

    >> Any idea how to fix it?

    >I remember when installing a GigE card in an Origin200 that there
    >was something one was supposed to do with systune to enhance
    >the kernel parameters for operation of the GigE port.

    There's a configuration utility for the gige card; I don't recall it's
    name at the moment.

    >Did you do
    >that? Can't remember what the changes are now, but they should
    >be detailed in the GigE installation guide on techpubs.

    >PS. Irony: if you had IRIX/IRIX transmission, Origin can sustain
    >980Mbit/sec, though it does need good CPUs to do this...

    We had terrible performance between Novell and an O3000 gigE
    even though the link was only running at 100 Mb. 3 or 4 packets
    [speaking literally] would get transmitted, the 200 ms timer would
    have to fire before the O3000 would send the ACKs. We had to switch
    that link to a 100 Mb card and that solved the problem. It wasn't
    a problem with that particular gigE card: we swapped and the problem
    persisted.

  4. Re: XP Pro to Irix 6.5.19f GigE card: Poor TCP performance

    WR> There's a configuration utility for the gige card; I don't recall it's
    WR> name at the moment.

    egconfig for Tigon2 based cards
    tgconfig for Tigon3 based cards

    tg2 was a dog.

    max

  5. Re: XP Pro to Irix 6.5.19f GigE card: Poor TCP performance

    Max Matveev wrote:

    > WR> There's a configuration utility for the gige card; I don't recall it's
    > WR> name at the moment.

    > egconfig for Tigon2 based cards
    > tgconfig for Tigon3 based cards

    > tg2 was a dog.

    Certainly, it had very high DMA setup latencies, which meant that its
    aggregate small packet performance was rather limited - in netperf
    TCP_RR terms to something on the order of 40K Transactions per
    second. (Well, on the HP 9000's I benchmarked anyway

    It also meant that the NIC could not hit link-rate on bulk transfer
    with a 1500 byte MTU if the packets were in more than one buffer per.
    That meant it usually went faster on a netperf TCP_STREAM test than a
    netperf TCP_SENDFILE test - on HP-UX at least the data copies were
    such that the TCP segments were single-buffer, with room left for the
    link-level headers.

    The perils of having a CPU on the NIC's datapath...

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  6. Re: XP Pro to Irix 6.5.19f GigE card: Poor TCP performance

    Max Matveev wrote:

    > WR> There's a configuration utility for the gige card; I don't recall it's
    > WR> name at the moment.
    >
    > egconfig for Tigon2 based cards
    > tgconfig for Tigon3 based cards
    >
    > tg2 was a dog.
    >
    > max

    Thanks! I looked through lots of SGI docs and found tgconfig mentioned
    everywhere, but I didn't hear about egconfig anywhere. I'm accessing
    the card with it now, dumping some stats... nothing meaningful yet,
    since I just started playing with it about five minutes ago.

    It says the card is an Alteon AceNIC v6. How would that compare to a
    Tigon3 based card, performance-wise?

    Andrew Klaassen

+ Reply to Thread