tape backups on irix - SGI

This is a discussion on tape backups on irix - SGI ; I've just inherited the administration duties for an SGI visualisation system, an Onyx plus a small cluster of Origins all hanging of a nice CXFS shared storage system. The Onyx in this system has a tape jukebox attached to it. ...

  1. tape backups on irix

    I've just inherited the administration duties for an SGI visualisation
    system, an Onyx plus a small cluster of Origins all hanging of a nice
    CXFS shared storage system. The Onyx in this system has a tape jukebox
    attached to it. Departmental legend has it that this is our backup
    system.

    Of course none of this is documented.

    So I've had a trawl through the crontabs and /etc and I can't see
    anything that looks like a backup to me , although I might just not
    know what I'm looking for. The backup and restore GUI in the toolchest
    has a dialog box for sheduled backups but it's empty.

    So given that this was set up by an SGI engineer and everyone swears
    blind that it is doing backups, where should I be looking to find out
    if/when/what it's backing up.

    Any pointers greatly appreciated,
    Huw

  2. Re: tape backups on irix

    In article <1156847201.558525.233530@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    huw.lynes@gmail.com wrote:
    :I've just inherited the administration duties for an SGI visualisation
    :system, an Onyx plus a small cluster of Origins all hanging of a nice
    :CXFS shared storage system. The Onyx in this system has a tape jukebox
    :attached to it. Departmental legend has it that this is our backup
    :system.

    :So I've had a trawl through the crontabs and /etc and I can't see
    :anything that looks like a backup to me ,

    >So given that this was set up by an SGI engineer and everyone swears
    >blind that it is doing backups, where should I be looking to find out
    >if/when/what it's backing up.

    It might have Networker set up on it. Try giving the command
    nwadmin and seeing if you get a GUI.
    Also try chkconfig and seeing if anything backup-looking
    shows up. In the case of Networker, it would be
    networker and netwr_client that might show up.

  3. Re: tape backups on irix

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <1156847201.558525.233530@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    > huw.lynes@gmail.com wrote:
    > >So given that this was set up by an SGI engineer and everyone swears
    > >blind that it is doing backups, where should I be looking to find out
    > >if/when/what it's backing up.

    > It might have Networker set up on it. Try giving the command
    > nwadmin and seeing if you get a GUI.
    > Also try chkconfig and seeing if anything backup-looking
    > shows up. In the case of Networker, it would be
    > networker and netwr_client that might show up.

    I got excited for a moment there when I saw netwr_client, but it was in
    fact the client for netware. Drat. I'm beginning to come to the
    conclusion that there are no backups (this is at least functionally
    true since even if they do exist no-one knows how to restore from
    them).

    Is there good documentation on how to use a tape jukebox under Irix
    somewhere? I'm reasonably familiar with the mt commands but I haven't
    had to deal with a jukebox before.

    Looks like I'm just going to have to list all the tapes to see what's
    on them.

  4. Re: tape backups on irix

    In article <1156862387.840085.327490@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    huw.lynes@gmail.com wrote:

    >Is there good documentation on how to use a tape jukebox under Irix
    >somewhere? I'm reasonably familiar with the mt commands but I haven't
    >had to deal with a jukebox before.

    The commands for dealing with a jukebox at a low level, are carefully
    hidden in the "stacker" program.

    Only fairly high level programs such as Networker and Veratis Backup Exec
    seem to bother to deal with jukeboxes directly.

    Programs such as cxfsdump and bru usually just prompt for the tape to be
    changed.

    cxfsdump has decent ideas about packing multiple simultaneous
    backup "streams" onto one tape, and knowing when they are continued
    onto other tapes. bru on the other hand only does one stream at a time,
    but can detect if the input stream was incomplete and prompt for more.
    tar is not at all adept at handling multiple tapes.

    Have you tried searching /etc/rc2.d/* for occurances of 'tape' ?

  5. Re: tape backups on irix

    roberson@hushmail.com (Walter Roberson) writes:

    > networker and netwr_client that might show up.

    netwr_client is not related to Legato Networker Save/Restore, but
    rather to the IRIX NetWare client.

  6. Re: tape backups on irix

    "huw.lynes@gmail.com" writes:

    > So I've had a trawl through the crontabs and /etc and I can't see
    > anything that looks like a backup to me , although I might just not
    > know what I'm looking for. The backup and restore GUI in the toolchest
    > has a dialog box for sheduled backups but it's empty.

    Is there anything in ps -ef that you don't recognize as belonging
    to IRIX?

  7. Re: tape backups on irix

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:

    > Is there anything in ps -ef that you don't recognize as belonging
    > to IRIX?

    no, although there are an awful lot of processes on this box as it is
    part of a condor queue.

    Now that I know about stacker I've cleared the tape from the drive back
    into the tape changer. I also discovered the the root alias on the box
    went into the aether so I pointed it somewhere useful. My current plan
    is to give it 7 days. Any automatic backup system should either fail
    and spew an email, or move a tape into the drive.

    If neither of those things happens I'll assume that whatever the system
    was, it isn't working now and it'll be quicker for me to build a new
    backup system from scratch. I may also go through the tape contents to
    see what if anything was going on in the past.

    Thanks for all your help,

    Huw

  8. Re: tape backups on irix

    HL> I've just inherited the administration duties for an SGI visualisation
    HL> system, an Onyx plus a small cluster of Origins all hanging of a nice
    HL> CXFS shared storage system. The Onyx in this system has a tape jukebox
    HL> attached to it. Departmental legend has it that this is our backup
    HL> system.
    It could be running DMF which is not really a backup, more like file
    migration facility.

    max

  9. Re: tape backups on irix

    > It might have Networker set up on it. Try giving the command
    > nwadmin and seeing if you get a GUI.

    More definitively, try typing this at the command line:
    versions | grep -i networker

    Another commercial backup package which supports IRIX is the IBM/Tivoli
    Storage Manager. Try typing the following command lines:
    versions | grep -i tivoli
    or
    versions | grep -i adsm

+ Reply to Thread