How check and enable the port on IRIX - SGI

This is a discussion on How check and enable the port on IRIX - SGI ; Hi all, How could I check and enable the port on IRIX, I know on Solaris 10, I can check if the port is online or disable : svcs -a | grep bpcd , please let me know ASAP, thanks ...

  1. How check and enable the port on IRIX

    Hi all,

    How could I check and enable the port on IRIX, I know on Solaris 10, I
    can check if the port is online or disable : svcs -a | grep bpcd ,
    please let me know ASAP, thanks alot.

    Tom

  2. Re: How check and enable the port on IRIX

    nguytom@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > How could I check and enable the port on IRIX, I know on Solaris 10, I

    The port? Did you mean 'ports' or speaking in term of a network interface?

    > can check if the port is online or disable : svcs -a | grep bpcd ,
    > please let me know ASAP, thanks alot.

    Maybe you search for 'netstat' or 'fuser'. The following command fuser
    80/tcp list all process which are bind to port 80.

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH http://www.takenet.de
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  3. Re: How check and enable the port on IRIX

    Thanks Joerg,

    I know we can use netstat -a | grep 80 , if the port is diasble, how
    could I turn it on? I know we can user kill -HUP inetd_pid but this
    command only uses after modify /etc/services
    Joerg Behrens wrote:
    > nguytom@gmail.com schrieb:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > How could I check and enable the port on IRIX, I know on Solaris 10, I

    > The port? Did you mean 'ports' or speaking in term of a network interface?
    >
    > > can check if the port is online or disable : svcs -a | grep bpcd ,
    > > please let me know ASAP, thanks alot.

    > Maybe you search for 'netstat' or 'fuser'. The following command fuser
    > 80/tcp list all process which are bind to port 80.
    >
    > regards
    > Joerg
    >
    > --
    > TakeNet GmbH http://www.takenet.de
    > 97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243
    > Alfred-Nobel-Straße 20 Fax: +49 931 903-3025

  4. Re: How check and enable the port on IRIX

    In article <1155317099.484724.13230@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.co m>,
    nguytom@gmail.com writes:
    > Thanks Joerg,
    > I know we can use netstat -a | grep 80 , if the port is diasble, how
    > could I turn it on? I know we can user kill -HUP inetd_pid but this
    > command only uses after modify /etc/services

    Turn it on? You have to run an application that binds to that port.
    Either list it in /etc/inetd.conf, or run it as a standalone daemon.
    You would probably want to do the latter with a http server. If you
    have one of the SGI webservers installed, it's as simple as doing a
    `chkconfig apache on`, `chkconfig fw_apache2 on` or `chkconfig
    nss_fastrack on` (depending on which you have installed) and then
    starting the service (reboot or run the appropriate script in /etc/init.d).
    Of course, you'll want to configure the service before starting it....

    HTH,
    ~Steve

  5. Re: How check and enable the port on IRIX

    nguytom@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Thanks Joerg,
    >
    > I know we can use netstat -a | grep 80 , if the port is diasble, how
    > could I turn it on? I know we can user kill -HUP inetd_pid but this
    > command only uses after modify /etc/services

    Turn it on? There is no magic 'turn on'. You have to start the daemon or
    application and depents in its type it binds to the configurated
    adress and port.

    Propper services uses a init script which take notice of the settings
    from 'chkconfig'. So try 'chkconfig foobar on' followed by
    '/etc/init.d/foobar start'.

    regards
    Joerg

+ Reply to Thread