nfs - Indigo2 X FreeBSD - SGI

This is a discussion on nfs - Indigo2 X FreeBSD - SGI ; Hello, Indigo2 machine in network w/ FreeBSD, both configured for nfs server/client functions, and "nfsd" daemon running on both. IRIX idaho 6.5 04101930 IP22 FreeBSD presto 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 20 13:02:55 GMT 2000 jkh@bento.FreeBSD.org :/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386 FreeBSD ...

  1. nfs - Indigo2 X FreeBSD

    Hello,

    Indigo2 machine in network w/ FreeBSD, both configured for nfs
    server/client functions, and "nfsd" daemon running on both.

    IRIX idaho 6.5 04101930 IP22

    FreeBSD presto 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 20 13:02:55
    GMT 2000 jkh@bento.FreeBSD.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386

    FreeBSD machine mounts IRIX disks OK, but Indigo2 does not mount FreeBSD
    disks.

    Changed to manual approach

    Setup fstab:
    /dev/root / xfs rw,raw=/dev/rroot 0 0
    /dev/dsk/dks0d2s7 /disk_02/ xfs rw 0 0
    /swap/swap1 swap swap pri=2 0 0
    /vswap/vswap1 swap swap pri=5,vlength=409600 0 0
    /vswap/vswap2 swap swap pri=5,vlength=1024000 0 0
    presto:/usr /diskA-1 nfs soft,rw 0 0
    presto:/disk2 /diskA-2 nfs soft,rw 0 0

    Then attempted to mount presto disks
    mount -h presto -v
    mount: presto:/disk2 server not responding: Port mapper failure - Timed out
    mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    mount: retrying
    /diskA-2
    mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2
    mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2

    Could someone identify problem & suggest corrective action?

    Thanks

  2. Re: nfs - Indigo2 X FreeBSD

    AS> IRIX idaho 6.5 04101930 IP22
    What does uname -aRd say?

    AS> Then attempted to mount presto disks
    AS> mount -h presto -v
    AS> mount: presto:/disk2 server not responding: Port mapper failure - Timed out
    AS> mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2

    What does 'rpcinfo -p presto' say when you run it on idaho?

    max

  3. Re: nfs - Indigo2 X FreeBSD

    Thanks Max & Brent
    The problem, partly, was in the portmap, not enabled in the rc.conf file
    of Presto.

    However, the problem still persist,
    Now from idaho ==>
    rpcinfo -p presto
    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100005 3 udp 997 mountd
    100005 3 tcp 1021 mountd
    100005 1 udp 997 mountd
    100005 1 tcp 1021 mountd

    From idaho
    mount presto:/disk2 /diskA-2 hangs indefinitely

    and

    mount -h amatuk -v
    mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2.
    mount: amatuk:/disk2 on /diskA-2: Connection timed out
    mount: retrying
    /diskA-2
    mount: unknown filesystem type: nfs
    mount: giving up on:
    /diskA-2
    mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, trying NFS version 2.
    mount: amatuk:/usr on /diskA-1: Connection timed out

    I probably need to post on FreeBSD also

    Adam
    PS: mutual entries in host and host.allows exist

    Adam Smith wrote:

  4. Re: nfs - Indigo2 X FreeBSD

    AS> However, the problem still persist,
    AS> Now from idaho ==>
    AS> rpcinfo -p presto
    AS> program vers proto port
    AS> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    AS> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    AS> 100005 3 udp 997 mountd
    AS> 100005 3 tcp 1021 mountd
    AS> 100005 1 udp 997 mountd
    AS> 100005 1 tcp 1021 mountd

    This isn't enough - Irix nfs client DOES expect to get nfs registration
    from the server, you could try

    idaho# mount -o proto=udp,port=2049 presto:/dist2 /diskA-2

    as a workaround but I'd suggested checking why nfsd didn't register
    with portmap on FreeBSD. Most likely cause is that nfsd was started
    before portmap or portmap was restarted.

    AS> PS: mutual entries in host and host.allows exist

    That doesn't matter for nfs on Irix, I don't know if it does on FreeBSD.

    max

  5. Re: nfs - Indigo2 X FreeBSD

    Thanks Max,

    I rebooted the SGI machine with presto running hoping to resolve the nfs
    registration issue.
    I then tried "mount -o proto=udp,port=2049 presto:/disk2 /diskA-2"
    But system just sat there, nothing happened.

    BTW, I looked up proto on man mount & did not find any reference to it,
    esp. related to UDP, couldn't be the same .proto in the cron context?

    Anyway also tried
    mount -t nfs presto:/disk2 /diskA-2
    status unchanged as before

    According to the man pages ref. to the -t option, "mount calls another
    program of the form mount_typename, where typename is one of the above
    types. This program must be on the default path."

    I was wondering if the helper program "mount_typename", in this case
    should be "mount_nfs" and if it should be in the PATH? since I can't
    find that filename with a systemwide search.

    Now when the system was rebooting, as the mount instructions were in
    fstab an attempt was made to mount presto disks but failed. The message
    that was generated was: NFS3 ... getattr failed for service ...
    presto Timed out
    ...NFS2...
    unknown file system type: nfs
    ________________________________

    Can't find anything on 'getattr' on the system or in the /etc/services
    file either.

    Hope this can lead to a resolution

    Thanks again

    Max Matveev wrote:

    > AS> However, the problem still persist,
    > AS> Now from idaho ==>
    > AS> rpcinfo -p presto
    > AS> program vers proto port
    > AS> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    > AS> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    > AS> 100005 3 udp 997 mountd
    > AS> 100005 3 tcp 1021 mountd
    > AS> 100005 1 udp 997 mountd
    > AS> 100005 1 tcp 1021 mountd
    >
    > This isn't enough - Irix nfs client DOES expect to get nfs registration
    > from the server, you could try
    >
    > idaho# mount -o proto=udp,port=2049 presto:/dist2 /diskA-2
    >
    > as a workaround but I'd suggested checking why nfsd didn't register
    > with portmap on FreeBSD. Most likely cause is that nfsd was started
    > before portmap or portmap was restarted.
    >
    > AS> PS: mutual entries in host and host.allows exist
    >
    > That doesn't matter for nfs on Irix, I don't know if it does on FreeBSD.
    >
    > max

  6. Re: nfs - Indigo2 X FreeBSD

    Sorry for the long silience - I was on the road in the last three
    weeks and could not get to the news.

    AS> Thanks Max,
    AS> I rebooted the SGI machine with presto running hoping to resolve the
    AS> nfs registration issue.
    No, you really need to deal with presto - it's the one which misses
    registration.

    AS> I then tried "mount -o proto=udp,port=2049 presto:/disk2 /diskA-2"
    AS> But system just sat there, nothing happened.

    Do you know how to use snoop? It could tell you what's going on the
    network. If you can capture the snoop trace with

    # snoop -o -P presto

    and you're willing to share it, I'll drop you a note via email with my
    address.

    AS> BTW, I looked up proto on man mount & did not find any reference to
    AS> it, esp. related to UDP, couldn't be the same .proto in the cron
    AS> context?
    You want fstab(4) manpage, nfs section of it.

    AS> Anyway also tried
    AS> mount -t nfs presto:/disk2 /diskA-2
    AS> status unchanged as before

    AS> According to the man pages ref. to the -t option, "mount calls another
    AS> program of the form mount_typename, where typename is one of the above
    AS> types. This program must be on the default path."
    On Irix nfs mounts are done by the mount program itself, it does not
    call anything.

    AS> Now when the system was rebooting, as the mount instructions were in
    AS> fstab an attempt was made to mount presto disks but failed. The
    AS> message that was generated was: NFS3 ... getattr failed for service ...
    AS> presto Timed out
    >>>

    AS> ...NFS2...
    AS> unknown file system type: nfs

    AS> Can't find anything on 'getattr' on the system or in the /etc/services
    AS> file either.
    Getattr is the one of nfs calls - nfs just tells you a little bit too
    much.

    max

+ Reply to Thread