IRIX 6.5.14 on an Indy - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX 6.5.14 on an Indy - SGI ; Hi and thanks for the help. I have the opportunity to pick up some IRIX 6.5.14 installation CDs. What is the minimum amount of RAM that I need? I know the more the merrier but am after the minimum required? ...

  1. IRIX 6.5.14 on an Indy

    Hi and thanks for the help. I have the opportunity to pick up some IRIX
    6.5.14 installation CDs. What is the minimum amount of RAM that I need? I
    know the more the merrier but am after the minimum required?

    Also does anyone foresee any problems with this OS on an Indy?

    After a brief foray into Linux (IRIX 5.3 was lacking) I want my IRIX back.

    Cheers Pier

  2. Re: IRIX 6.5.14 on an Indy

    On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 23:38:47 +1000, Pier Federici wrote:
    > Also does anyone foresee any problems with this OS on an Indy?

    If you don't want to run really demanding applications (think Mozilla
    or the likes of it) 128 or maybe even 64 MB should do for basic
    operation. My servers for my UNIX networks are two Indies running
    a 1:1 copy of the same IRIX 6.5 installation. They have 160MB/192MB
    RAM and are R5000SC/150 machines and I think in most cases the
    bottleneck is the CPU or general system bandwidth.

    IRIX 6.5 might come with tons of CDs, but it actually isn't so bad
    regarding memory requirements.

    Gerhard
    --
    SGI Hardware Info and Museum -- http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/
    "Wanted Items" -- http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/collection/wanted.php

    ( iris / IRIX / IP22 )

  3. Re: IRIX 6.5.14 on an Indy

    Gerhard Lenerz wrote:

    > On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 23:38:47 +1000, Pier Federici wrote:
    >> Also does anyone foresee any problems with this OS on an Indy?

    > If you don't want to run really demanding applications (think Mozilla
    > or the likes of it) 128 or maybe even 64 MB should do for basic
    > operation. My servers for my UNIX networks are two Indies running
    > a 1:1 copy of the same IRIX 6.5 installation. They have 160MB/192MB
    > RAM and are R5000SC/150 machines and I think in most cases the
    > bottleneck is the CPU or general system bandwidth.

    but wouldn't putting the maximum amount of RAM (i.e. 256MB) into it
    alleviate swapping delays? I think it shouldn't be too expensive these
    days (but haven't checked RAM prices recently)

    Rainer

    > IRIX 6.5 might come with tons of CDs, but it actually isn't so bad
    > regarding memory requirements.
    >

    > Gerhard

  4. Re: IRIX 6.5.14 on an Indy

    In article <4ja04iF6ngj5U1@individual.net>,
    Rainer Latka wrote:
    [ ... ]

    >but wouldn't putting the maximum amount of RAM (i.e. 256MB) into it
    >alleviate swapping delays? I think it shouldn't be too expensive these
    >days (but haven't checked RAM prices recently)

    More RAM will always reduce swapping.

    Make sure your swap partition is at least 2x the size of your RAM; more
    won't hurt.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net What do you call two SUVs colliding?
    Poetic justice.

  5. Re: IRIX 6.5.14 on an Indy

    Thankyou all very much.
    I will pick up some more RAM latter on.
    Cheers Pier

    "Gary Heston" wrote in message
    > In article <4ja04iF6ngj5U1@individual.net>,
    > Rainer Latka wrote:
    > [ ... ]
    >
    > >but wouldn't putting the maximum amount of RAM (i.e. 256MB) into it
    > >alleviate swapping delays? I think it shouldn't be too expensive these
    > >days (but haven't checked RAM prices recently)

    > More RAM will always reduce swapping.
    >
    > Make sure your swap partition is at least 2x the size of your RAM; more
    > won't hurt.
    >

    > Gary
    >
    > --
    > Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net What do you call two SUVs colliding?