What part of an Indigo 2 holds the node lock info.... - SGI

This is a discussion on What part of an Indigo 2 holds the node lock info.... - SGI ; Hi, I have 2 Indigo 2 systems, one is like new and the other I got in the lst year from a company that I used to work for messed up case etc..... What I want to do is use ...

  1. What part of an Indigo 2 holds the node lock info....

    Hi,

    I have 2 Indigo 2 systems, one is like new and the other I got in the
    lst year from a company that I used to work for messed up case
    etc.....

    What I want to do is use the case from my nice machine but the
    software from the other machine is is prepress software that I used to
    work on.

    They are both the same machines Impact 10000 however if I transfer the
    harddrives from one to another the software will not work due to a
    node lock.

    What I want to know is where is the node lock info stored, in the cpu
    or motherboard. If it is the mother board I will just have to pull
    them both apart if it is the cpu I could just swap them over.

    Thanks

    Codeman

  2. Re: What part of an Indigo 2 holds the node lock info....

    In article <35afc2lec59s0d9l41ag750ubq00ibi3l3@4ax.com>,
    Codeman wrote:

    >They are both the same machines Impact 10000

    >What I want to know is where is the node lock info stored, in the cpu
    >or motherboard. If it is the mother board I will just have to pull
    >them both apart if it is the cpu I could just swap them over.

    Neither, it's a small chip in the midplane if I recall correctly
    (though it might have moved on the R10000 Impacts.) Unfortunately
    I can't find reference information right at the moment. nekochan.net
    attracts people who would know.

  3. Re: What part of an Indigo 2 holds the node lock info....

    Codeman wrote:
    >Hi,

    >I have 2 Indigo 2 systems, one is like new and the other I got in the
    >lst year from a company that I used to work for messed up case
    >etc.....

    >What I want to do is use the case from my nice machine but the
    >software from the other machine is is prepress software that I used to
    >work on.

    [ ... ]

    If the cases are the same color, just move the cover and front pieces. The
    sides of the bottom edge aren't wide enough to be noticable and it will
    take you all of two minutes, if you take your time.

    If there're any empty memory slots in the nodelocked system, fill them
    from the case donor.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net What do you call two SUVs colliding?
    Poetic justice.

  4. Re: What part of an Indigo 2 holds the node lock info....

    I would do that but the base of the case has marks on it and I dont
    like it! I have it stood up with the feet....

    Codeman

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 01:14:02 -0000, gheston@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
    wrote:

    >In article <35afc2lec59s0d9l41ag750ubq00ibi3l3@4ax.com>,
    >Codeman wrote:
    >>Hi,

    >>I have 2 Indigo 2 systems, one is like new and the other I got in the
    >>lst year from a company that I used to work for messed up case
    >>etc.....

    >>What I want to do is use the case from my nice machine but the
    >>software from the other machine is is prepress software that I used to
    >>work on.

    > [ ... ]
    >
    >If the cases are the same color, just move the cover and front pieces. The
    >sides of the bottom edge aren't wide enough to be noticable and it will
    >take you all of two minutes, if you take your time.
    >
    >If there're any empty memory slots in the nodelocked system, fill them
    >from the case donor.
    >

    >Gary

  5. Re: What part of an Indigo 2 holds the node lock info....

    In article <8l8gc2h7d6ta4l2u2ua4o03ltdpit8ps36@4ax.com>, Codeman
    wrote:

    : I would do that but the base of the case has marks on it and I dont
    : like it! I have it stood up with the feet....
    :
    : Codeman

    All the skins on the Indigo2 can be removed and swapped. It's just a matter of
    finding all the right screws, there aren't many of them.

    As I recall, the method is to remove the 5.25 bay, then the cpu (but not the
    heatsink!), power supply, graphics or any option boards, midplane, then
    motherboard. Once that's out, you can shuffle around the skins to get the best
    set, pick the best parts out of each system, and reassemble yourself a nice
    FrankenSGI.

    I'd give you more detailed instructions, but I no longer have an Indigo2 in my
    posession.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler - Master of Code-fu
    -- nicoya@ubb.ca -- http://www.ubb.ca/ --

+ Reply to Thread