irix ldap client 6.5.28 - SGI

This is a discussion on irix ldap client 6.5.28 - SGI ; Hi, I have a linux ldap server setup and I can authenticate to it from other linux boxes. I am now trying to get our Irix boxes to authenticate to it via ldap. I have modified two files /var/ns/nsd_openldap.conf: changed ...

  1. irix ldap client 6.5.28

    Hi,

    I have a linux ldap server setup and I can authenticate to it from
    other linux boxes. I am now trying to get our Irix boxes to
    authenticate to it via ldap.

    I have modified two files /var/ns/nsd_openldap.conf:
    changed this:

    # Server object
    server server_a
    {
    schema=rfc2307
    openldap_config=/var/ns/server_openldap.conf
    #binddn="cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com"
    # base="dc=example,dc=com"
    #password=secret
    }

    also changed the /var/ns/server_openldap.conf file with the appropriate
    "host" and "base" lines.

    last I ran:
    nsadmin flush
    nsadmin restart

    but I am getting nothing. If I try to su to a user or finger a use I
    get "unknow user" message.

    Any hits or help on what I am missing here?

    Thanks

    Rene

  2. Re: irix ldap client 6.5.28

    Hello Rene,

    I had the same problem and I jus couldn't figure it out, so I just
    dropped the idea of getting LDAP to work on Irix, although it should be
    possible.

    I can give you an example of the configuration files if you want to,
    because you'll need to alter a few more if I'm not mistaking.
    Also, if you want to use TLS you need at least Irix 6.5.28.

    The only thing I succeeded in was running and ldapsearch (over an
    encrypted connection) but I never was able to authenticate... :-(

    Regards,

    Wimmy

    --
    Being owned by someone used to be called slavery.
    Now it's called commitment.

  3. Re: irix ldap client 6.5.28

    Wim Cossement writes:
    > I had the same problem and I jus couldn't figure it out, so I just
    > dropped the idea of getting LDAP to work on Irix, although it should
    > be possible.

    It is, modifications are minimal. Only problem is if your LDAP server
    uses MD5 password hashes which are popular on Linux (then you need an
    external password hashing program, which is a little trickier to
    configure).

    > I can give you an example of the configuration files if you want to,
    > because you'll need to alter a few more if I'm not mistaking.
    > Also, if you want to use TLS you need at least Irix 6.5.28.

    Not true, I got IRIX 6.5.22m to work with SSL via stunnel. Unless you
    absolutely need TLS instead of SSL, it's easy enough to set up.

    Alas, my SGI is not up at the moment, I'll try to post a config when I'm
    back from Denmark.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  4. Re: irix ldap client 6.5.28

    Thomas Jahns wrote:
    > Wim Cossement writes:
    >> I had the same problem and I jus couldn't figure it out, so I just
    >> dropped the idea of getting LDAP to work on Irix, although it should
    >> be possible.

    > It is, modifications are minimal. Only problem is if your LDAP server
    > uses MD5 password hashes which are popular on Linux (then you need an
    > external password hashing program, which is a little trickier to
    > configure).

    Well, I never tried it with MD5 hashes, I wanted to use SSHA as this was
    the one I used on Linux.
    But how does one use an external hashing program? Maybe I need to look
    in to it... :-)

    >> I can give you an example of the configuration files if you want to,
    >> because you'll need to alter a few more if I'm not mistaking.
    >> Also, if you want to use TLS you need at least Irix 6.5.28.

    > Not true, I got IRIX 6.5.22m to work with SSL via stunnel. Unless you
    > absolutely need TLS instead of SSL, it's easy enough to set up.

    I might try that too, but how, since I find Irix LDAP info to be quite
    condensed and limited.

    > Alas, my SGI is not up at the moment, I'll try to post a config when I'm
    > back from Denmark.

    Sweet!

    Wimmy

+ Reply to Thread