Slow speed on SGI prism - SGI

This is a discussion on Slow speed on SGI prism - SGI ; Hi all! I have a SGI Prism server with RHEL 3.0 installed on it. It has two Itanium 64 bit processor and 4GB RAM. But somehow, I find this machine very slow. I mean, my normal 32bit processor desktop less ...

  1. Slow speed on SGI prism

    Hi all!

    I have a SGI Prism server with RHEL 3.0 installed on it. It has two
    Itanium 64 bit processor and 4GB RAM. But somehow, I find this machine
    very slow. I mean, my normal 32bit processor desktop less time in
    executing a particular c program.

    How can I improve the performance of my machine? How can I take the
    advantage dual processor?

    $ uname -a
    Linux prism.ee.iitk.ac.in 2.4.21-sgi306rp13 #5 SMP Wed Mar 1 18:57:28
    CST 2006 ia64 ia64 ia64 GNU/Linux

    Regards,
    swagat

  2. Re: Slow speed on SGI prism

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 05:01:02 -0700, swagat wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I have a SGI Prism server with RHEL 3.0 installed on it. It has two
    > Itanium 64 bit processor and 4GB RAM. But somehow, I find this machine
    > very slow. I mean, my normal 32bit processor desktop less time in
    > executing a particular c program.

    Is the program integer heavy? ia64 is much better at floating point
    then integer. What compilers are you using?

    > How can I improve the performance of my machine?

    Upgrade to SLES 9 SP 3 and ProPack 4 SP 3.
    > How can I take the advantage dual processor?

    What programming model do you want to use?
    Jeff Hanson - jhanson@sgi.com - Field Technical Analyst

    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill. - Lee/Lifeson/Peart

+ Reply to Thread