please help! - SGI

This is a discussion on please help! - SGI ; We've got an old UNIX machine... It's an O2 system, and we're running IRIX 6.3. We accidentally removed the folders etc and dev from the system when clearing off unused directories to make space. Now we can't boot the system ...

  1. please help!

    We've got an old UNIX machine... It's an O2 system, and we're running
    IRIX 6.3. We accidentally removed the folders etc and dev from the
    system when clearing off unused directories to make space. Now we
    can't boot the system to get these directories back onto the machine!
    When we start up the machine it says that it cannot load because
    etc/init.d is missing. We tried restarting the machine and clicking on
    Stop for Maintenance - and we've tried every option on this menu.
    We've got the IRIX 6.3 Applications cd and have tried to recover the
    system from this disk, but cannot get it to read from the disk... Any
    suggestions or can anyone help? Thank you!

  2. Re: please help!

    motlab wrote:

    > We've got an old UNIX machine... It's an O2 system, and we're running
    > IRIX 6.3. We accidentally removed the folders etc and dev from the
    > system when clearing off unused directories to make space. Now we
    > can't boot the system to get these directories back onto the machine!
    > When we start up the machine it says that it cannot load because
    > etc/init.d is missing. We tried restarting the machine and clicking on
    > Stop for Maintenance - and we've tried every option on this menu.
    > We've got the IRIX 6.3 Applications cd and have tried to recover the
    > system from this disk, but cannot get it to read from the disk... Any
    > suggestions or can anyone help? Thank you!

    You need more than the Applications cd I think. I don't know what you
    need for 6.3 specifically but the Installation Tools cd and probably
    several others are going to be a must.

  3. Re: please help!

    In article <1152622276.814687.222360@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    motlab wrote:
    >We've got an old UNIX machine... It's an O2 system, and we're running
    >IRIX 6.3. We accidentally removed the folders etc and dev from the
    >system when clearing off unused directories to make space. Now we
    >can't boot the system to get these directories back onto the machine!
    >When we start up the machine it says that it cannot load because
    >etc/init.d is missing. We tried restarting the machine and clicking on
    >Stop for Maintenance - and we've tried every option on this menu.
    >We've got the IRIX 6.3 Applications cd and have tried to recover the
    >system from this disk, but cannot get it to read from the disk... Any
    >suggestions or can anyone help? Thank you!

    First, you'll need a full set of IRIX 6.3 CDs to get much done.

    Second, get a book on Unix system administration or find a competent
    *nix admin to help you.

    And, start learning at:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgi.html

    where you can learn about something called a "miniroot" that will help
    you work on your system.

    /etc and /dev contain system-specific configuration information on all
    Unix-type operating systems; I hope you have a system backup somewhere.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net What do you call two SUVs colliding?
    Poetic justice.