Hi,

I am running Irix 6.5.22m on an SGI O2. I'd like to restrict some
accounts by chroot'ing them upon login. From reading man pages for
passwd(4) and login and googling a while, I was under the impression
that adding an asterisk before the shell path would chroot to the
account's home directory and take the login from there, i.e. from:
....:/some/home/dir:/bin/sh
to:
alex:...:/some/home/dir:*/bin/sh
However, this does not work for me. Reading the log /var/adm/SYSLOG:
User alex not allowed because shell * does not exist

Is there some option I have to enable in some configuration file in
order for * to be recognized as a chroot directive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- Alex