New to SGI o2 - SGI

This is a discussion on New to SGI o2 - SGI ; Hello all. I am about to purchase my first SGI machine. It will be an o2, though I cannot give further specs on the system than that. I understand that new packages come in the form of .tardist files. How ...

  1. New to SGI o2

    Hello all.

    I am about to purchase my first SGI machine. It will be an o2, though I
    cannot give further specs on the system than that.

    I understand that new packages come in the form of .tardist files. How does
    one use a .tardist file? I am coming from a Linux background so I'm
    familiar with shells and what have you, and I'm betting that I'll need to
    use a shell to install a .tardist file. If there's a GUI way to do it,
    great. If not, I'm comfortable with the shell.

    Also, is there anything like the manpages on Linux for IRIX? If there is
    you can simply give me the name of the program used to install .tardist
    files and I'll man it up.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: New to SGI o2

    On 2006-07-04, The Allberry Family wrote:

    > Also, is there anything like the manpages on Linux for IRIX? If there is
    > you can simply give me the name of the program used to install .tardist
    > files and I'll man it up.

    Irix' got great man-pages. The command to install a .tardist is 'inst'
    or the graphical 'swmgr'.

    -jf

  3. Re: New to SGI o2

    Hey, thanks for the speedy reply!

  4. Re: New to SGI o2

    Le Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:41:00 +0000, The Allberry Family a écrit*:

    > Hey, thanks for the speedy reply!

    Check techpubs.sgi.com too, they've got all IRIX and hardware
    documentation.

    --
    Sutor ne ultra Crepidam.

  5. Re: New to SGI o2

    The Allberry Family schrieb:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I am about to purchase my first SGI machine. It will be an o2, though I
    > cannot give further specs on the system than that.
    >
    > I understand that new packages come in the form of .tardist files. How does
    > one use a .tardist file? I am coming from a Linux background so I'm
    > familiar with shells and what have you, and I'm betting that I'll need to
    > use a shell to install a .tardist file. If there's a GUI way to do it,
    > great. If not, I'm comfortable with the shell.

    Some contribution to the answers you already revieved.

    A foo.tardist is a standard 'tar' file archive. So you can extract it
    with tar as usual.

    tar tf foo.tardist. After that you w'll get the distribution packages.
    Some of them are already compressed so there is no need for *.tgz or so.

    If you dont like to untar them manually the inst/swmgr tool would
    extract it automaticly. IMHO this takes several times longer.....

    inst -f foo.tardist -f foo2.tardist

    Imho its similar to a rpm file.

    The gui tool can used in the same way... but you have to enable some of
    the features first. To get the command and log section take a look into
    the upper right menu.

    > Also, is there anything like the manpages on Linux for IRIX? If there is
    > you can simply give me the name of the program used to install .tardist
    > files and I'll man it up.

    man inst
    man swmgr

    On a well configurated IRIX machine you also have the inforsearch tool
    which offers a GUI or webbased view to the manual pages and books.

    http://www.irixworld.net/cgi-bin/inf...&db=bks&db=man

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH Mobil: 0171/60 57 963
    D-97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  6. Re: New to SGI o2

    Regrettably, all the good advice and instructions we got in this thread are
    going to waste. My seller has informed me that the SGI machines are
    "toast". Bad PROM/Motherboard/HDD.

    Oh well, there's always Ebay!

    "The Allberry Family" wrote in message
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I am about to purchase my first SGI machine. It will be an o2, though I
    > cannot give further specs on the system than that.
    >
    > I understand that new packages come in the form of .tardist files. How
    > does one use a .tardist file? I am coming from a Linux background so I'm
    > familiar with shells and what have you, and I'm betting that I'll need to
    > use a shell to install a .tardist file. If there's a GUI way to do it,
    > great. If not, I'm comfortable with the shell.
    >
    > Also, is there anything like the manpages on Linux for IRIX? If there is
    > you can simply give me the name of the program used to install .tardist
    > files and I'll man it up.
    >
    > Thanks.

  7. Re: New to SGI o2

    In article ,
    The Allberry Family wrote:
    >Regrettably, all the good advice and instructions we got in this thread are
    >going to waste. My seller has informed me that the SGI machines are
    >"toast". Bad PROM/Motherboard/HDD.

    >Oh well, there's always Ebay!

    [ ... ]

    Ask around locally; you may be suprised at how easy it is to find a
    free SGI. I rescued an Indigo2 from the corner of a dumpster, and
    have picked up six or seven O2s free. Now, if the price of electricity
    would go down...

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net What do you call two SUVs colliding?