problems with cronjobs not running / maxrun (25) procs reached - SGI

This is a discussion on problems with cronjobs not running / maxrun (25) procs reached - SGI ; I'm seeing this in the /var/cron/log file: ! maxrun (25) procs reached 09:20:02 ! rescheduling a cron job 09:20:02 I've got one account on this system which is the primary purpose of this system (8 cpu origin 2000 w/8Gb ram) ...

  1. problems with cronjobs not running / maxrun (25) procs reached

    I'm seeing this in the /var/cron/log file:

    ! maxrun (25) procs reached 09:20:02
    ! rescheduling a cron job 09:20:02

    I've got one account on this system which is the primary purpose of this
    system (8 cpu origin 2000 w/8Gb ram) and it's got a total of 44 crontab
    entries.

    I don't believe that the message above that I'm seeing is related to
    this one account reaching it's max limit of crontab entries.... since
    it's been over 25 entries for a long long time.

    My theory is that there are enough crontab entries *system wide* that
    are trying to run at the same time, that I'm getting times when there
    are more than 25 cronjobs trying to run at once - and cron is choking on it.

    So, assuming my idea is correct, does anybody know where a kernel
    parameter might be that could up this limit? I did some searching
    online but couldn't find anything.

    If my theory is wrong, then hopefully somebody will shed some light on
    my issue. I came to this today when my SYSLOG rotating root cronjob
    didn't run. I've setup a every-5-minute cronjob of my own that touches
    a file... just to see how often it runs and if it runs ok. That seems
    to be working, but I'm still trying to gather info.

    Thanks in advance for any body's help,

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    (to email me, just take out the NOSPAM)

    Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
    This email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with out
    my permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
    result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

  2. Re: problems with cronjobs not running / maxrun (25) procs reached

    Thanks to Brent who replied to me..... in my investigation I forgot to
    read the man page for 'cron' and didn't see this:

    -j jobs Specify the maximum number of jobs (MAXRUN) that cron can
    simultaneously run. The default value is 25. The maximum
    allowed value is 250.

    When I added a '-j 50' to my /etc/config/cron.options (that didn't exist
    before) and restarted cron via /etc/init.d/cron, I again monitored the
    /var/cron/log file and so far haven't seen anymore of my maxrun /
    rescheduling entries.

    So I think I'm good to go.

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    (to email me, just take out the NOSPAM)

    Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
    This email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with out
    my permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
    result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

+ Reply to Thread