can't install IRIX via NFS ! - SGI

This is a discussion on can't install IRIX via NFS ! - SGI ; Hi, I would like to install IRIX on my Octane from a NFS share, so I installed a nfs server on a Linux box, then copied IRIX CDs on a nfs shared dir. Then I boot the Octane, go to ...

  1. can't install IRIX via NFS !

    Hi,

    I would like to install IRIX on my Octane from a NFS share, so I installed
    a nfs server on a Linux box, then copied IRIX CDs on a nfs shared dir.

    Then I boot the Octane, go to system maintenance and click install from
    CDROM (I don't want to setup a bootp+tftp server !)

    so at install prompt, I type
    Inst> from devtux:/mnt/ro/6.5.29/cd1
    An I get an error message !

    While capturing packets on the linux box, I noticed the Octane tries to do
    a 'r' command, don't know why !

    So I'd like to know what is the necessary setup on the 'server' side to
    perform a remote install, assuming the 'server' is a Linux box ?

    --
    Rico

  2. Re: can't install IRIX via NFS !

    Eric Belhomme <{rico}+no/spam@ricospirit.net> wrote:
    > So I'd like to know what is the necessary setup on the 'server' side to
    > perform a remote install, assuming the 'server' is a Linux box ?

    I've just wrote a tutorial, in French:

    (Eh oui petit veinard, tu en as de la chance

  3. Re: can't install IRIX via NFS !

    Eric Belhomme schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to install IRIX on my Octane from a NFS share, so I installed
    > a nfs server on a Linux box, then copied IRIX CDs on a nfs shared dir.
    >
    > Then I boot the Octane, go to system maintenance and click install from
    > CDROM (I don't want to setup a bootp+tftp server !)
    >
    > so at install prompt, I type
    > Inst> from devtux:/mnt/ro/6.5.29/cd1
    > An I get an error message !
    >
    > While capturing packets on the linux box, I noticed the Octane tries to do
    > a 'r' command, don't know why !
    >
    > So I'd like to know what is the necessary setup on the 'server' side to
    > perform a remote install, assuming the 'server' is a Linux box ?

    Why do you think that the installer comes with NFS support? Is there a
    hidden switch or a magic feature that i dont know?

    regards
    Joerg

  4. Re: can't install IRIX via NFS !

    Joerg Behrens wrote in

    > Why do you think that the installer comes with NFS support? Is there a
    > hidden switch or a magic feature that i dont know?

    because it is !
    When launching Inst, try 'help from' or 'help open' and you'll see

    --
    Rico

  5. Re: can't install IRIX via NFS !

    Khanh-Dang wrote in
    news:20060522171005.6088fdbc@aiguebelle.pamplemous se.homeunix.org:

    > (Eh oui petit veinard, tu en as de la chance

    Yes I am ! I just spend almost the entire afternoon without getting
    valuable results !

    Thanks for the Howto

    --
    Rico

  6. Re: can't install IRIX via NFS !

    Eric Belhomme schrieb:
    > Joerg Behrens wrote in
    >
    >> Why do you think that the installer comes with NFS support? Is there a
    >> hidden switch or a magic feature that i dont know?
    >>

    > because it is !
    > When launching Inst, try 'help from' or 'help open' and you'll see

    @: Remote CD-ROM, or distribution directory with
    user ID

    from server:/d/distdir/nfs Read a single product "nfs" from a remote
    distribution directory

    Maybe you have misread it. Inst use TFTP for gathering the files from a
    remote machine. The term "nfs" is used for a product name and not in
    terms of a filesystem.

    regards
    Joerg

  7. Re: can't install IRIX via NFS !

    Eric Belhomme <{rico}+no/spam@ricospirit.net> writes:

    > because it is !
    > When launching Inst, try 'help from' or 'help open' and you'll see

    You need to check out

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...LE81158-PARENT