EFS errors with Linux - SGI

This is a discussion on EFS errors with Linux - SGI ; Hi I am using Linux Kernel 2.6.14 with EFS support built-in. I am trying to mount my Irix 6.2 CDs so that I can remote boot my SGI Indy, but I get the following error while mounting the CD as ...

  1. EFS errors with Linux

    Hi
    I am using Linux Kernel 2.6.14 with EFS support built-in.
    I am trying to mount my Irix 6.2 CDs so that I can remote boot my SGI
    Indy, but I get the following error while mounting the CD as EFS
    "EFS: device does not support 512 byte blocks"

    I am using new CDs of Irix 6.2 I recently bought them.
    I need help regarding this.

    I have looked around but no one seems to have had this problem.

    Any ideas ?

    Regards
    Vikas

  2. Re: EFS errors with Linux

    :
    : I am using new CDs of Irix 6.2 I recently bought them.
    : I need help regarding this.
    :
    : I have looked around but no one seems to have had this problem.
    :
    : Any ideas ?

    Use the loop device for reblocking, as thus:

    mount /dev/whatever /wherever -t efs -o loop

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler - Master of Code-fu
    -- nicoya@ubb.ca --*http://www.ubb.ca/ --

  3. Re: EFS errors with Linux

    walburn@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am using Linux Kernel 2.6.14 with EFS support built-in.
    > I am trying to mount my Irix 6.2 CDs so that I can remote boot my SGI
    > Indy, but I get the following error while mounting the CD as EFS
    > "EFS: device does not support 512 byte blocks"

    In addition to Tony's hint: SGI/ IRIX uses 512 byte block length on CDs
    whereas the ISO9660 block length is 2048 byte.

    Toni

  4. Re: EFS errors with Linux

    walburn@gmail.com writes:

    > I have looked around but no one seems to have had this problem.

    No, you haven't looked around.

    http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...01.2/0606.html

    This is no longer a problem with the 2.6 kernel, fortunately. You
    can't mount the EFS CDs directly (even when your drive is on IDE),
    but the use of the loopback feature makes the problem go away.

  5. Re: EFS errors with Linux

    Thanks everyone, the -o loop suggestion worked fine.

    Vikas

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:
    > walburn@gmail.com writes:
    >
    > > I have looked around but no one seems to have had this problem.

    > No, you haven't looked around.
    >
    > http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...01.2/0606.html
    >
    > This is no longer a problem with the 2.6 kernel, fortunately. You
    > can't mount the EFS CDs directly (even when your drive is on IDE),
    > but the use of the loopback feature makes the problem go away.
    >
    > --
    > Atro Tossavainen (Mr.) / The Institute of Biotechnology at
    > Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish & / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
    > +358-9-19158939 UNIX Dinosaur / employs me, but my opinions are my own.

+ Reply to Thread