cricket, snmp and Irix 6.5 - SGI

This is a discussion on cricket, snmp and Irix 6.5 - SGI ; Hi folks, I'm trying to collect host statistics from some Irix boxes for graphing with cricket. We have the Irix snmpd installed. It works, kinda; the problem is that the collector issues errors (see below) and some of the graphs ...

  1. cricket, snmp and Irix 6.5

    Hi folks,
    I'm trying to collect host statistics from some Irix boxes for
    graphing with cricket. We have the Irix snmpd installed. It works,
    kinda; the problem is that the collector issues errors (see below)
    and some of the graphs come up blank. I would guess that the Irix
    SNMP distribution doesn't support some of the MIBs that cricket is
    querying.

    Looking up the MIBs in question on mibdepot.com, they appear to be the
    NETSERVER-MIB and the UCD-SNMP-MIB. Is it possible to configure
    Irix's snmpd to support these? I haven't played with SNMP software
    before, so I'm not too clear on how this stuff works.

    Thanks in advance.

    [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46 ] Starting collector: Cricket version 1.0.5
    (2004-03-28)
    [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46*] Received SNMP response with error code
    noSuchName. OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.6.0
    [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46 ] Retrieved data for hr_sys (0): U,U
    [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46 ] Some data is missing for hr_sys (0).
    [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46*] Received SNMP response with error code
    noSuchName. OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.50.0

    --
    Ben

    You buttered your bread, now lie in it.

  2. Re: cricket, snmp and Irix 6.5

    From somewhere in cyberspace, Ben Rosengart said:
    > I'm trying to collect host statistics from some Irix boxes for
    >graphing with cricket. We have the Irix snmpd installed. It works,
    >kinda; the problem is that the collector issues errors (see below)
    >and some of the graphs come up blank. I would guess that the Irix
    >SNMP distribution doesn't support some of the MIBs that cricket is
    >querying.

    Your guess is correct - that's what the "noSuchName" error means.

    >Looking up the MIBs in question on mibdepot.com, they appear to be the
    >NETSERVER-MIB and the UCD-SNMP-MIB. Is it possible to configure
    >Irix's snmpd to support these? I haven't played with SNMP software
    >before, so I'm not too clear on how this stuff works.

    You may want to ask that question on the Cricket users mailing list:

    https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/.../cricket-users

    And/or read the man pages carefully for the Irix snmpd - it's possible
    that they support some other MIB with host information.

    > [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46 ] Starting collector: Cricket version 1.0.5
    > (2004-03-28)
    > [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46*] Received SNMP response with error code
    > noSuchName. OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.6.0
    > [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46 ] Retrieved data for hr_sys (0): U,U
    > [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46 ] Some data is missing for hr_sys (0).
    > [27-Apr-2006 16:11:46*] Received SNMP response with error code
    > noSuchName. OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.50.0

    --
    Ed Ravin | "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as
    | well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the
    eravin@ | streets, and to steal bread."
    panix.com | --Anatole France, Le Lys Rouge [1894]

  3. Re: cricket, snmp and Irix 6.5

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 23:34:27 +0000 (UTC), Ed Ravin wrote:
    > From somewhere in cyberspace, Ben Rosengart said:
    >
    >>Looking up the MIBs in question on mibdepot.com, they appear to be the
    >>NETSERVER-MIB and the UCD-SNMP-MIB. Is it possible to configure
    >>Irix's snmpd to support these? I haven't played with SNMP software
    >>before, so I'm not too clear on how this stuff works.

    The nice support fellow at SGI claims to have a CD with subagents
    for these MIBs -- but it's payware. No word yet on how I can buy
    it, though; a circumstance which may partially illuminate why SGI
    is in Chapter 11.

    > You may want to ask that question on the Cricket users mailing list:
    >
    > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/.../cricket-users
    >
    > And/or read the man pages carefully for the Irix snmpd - it's possible
    > that they support some other MIB with host information.

    And hopefully, I'd be able to use that as a drop-in replacement by
    modifying the OIDs in the systemperf subtree, I guess.

    Thanks, Ed. Next lunch is on me.

    --
    Ben

    You buttered your bread, now lie in it.