Indy/Indigo 2 SCSI compatibility - SGI

This is a discussion on Indy/Indigo 2 SCSI compatibility - SGI ; I have a stack of these boxes. I obtained 3 Unisys-caddied 9.1 gig SCSI hard drives yesterday (80 pin d-shaped connectors), and was wondering if these would work with either of these systems. I haven't taken them out of the ...

  1. Indy/Indigo 2 SCSI compatibility

    I have a stack of these boxes. I obtained 3 Unisys-caddied 9.1 gig SCSI
    hard drives yesterday (80 pin d-shaped connectors), and was wondering
    if these would work with either of these systems. I haven't taken them
    out of the caddies yet, but I look through the vents and something is
    written about Unisys firmware.

  2. Re: Indy/Indigo 2 SCSI compatibility

    In article <1145897508.155253.167710@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    Chris wrote:
    >I have a stack of these boxes. I obtained 3 Unisys-caddied 9.1 gig SCSI
    >hard drives yesterday (80 pin d-shaped connectors), and was wondering
    >if these would work with either of these systems.

    80 pin d-shaped... is that perhaps an SCA connector?

  3. Re: Indy/Indigo 2 SCSI compatibility

    On 24 Apr 2006 09:51:48 -0700, "Chris" wrote:

    >I have a stack of these boxes. I obtained 3 Unisys-caddied 9.1 gig SCSI
    >hard drives yesterday (80 pin d-shaped connectors), and was wondering
    >if these would work with either of these systems. I haven't taken them
    >out of the caddies yet, but I look through the vents and something is
    >written about Unisys firmware.

    If they have 80-pin SCA connectors, you can convert them to 50 pin for
    use in the Indigo2. It's tight, and you have to use a convertor
    that's not larger than a transverse section of the drive, but it can
    work. I have set up two I2s with SCA disks using this method.

    The Indy wants 50-pin, too, and there's a bit more room for the
    SCA->50 adapter, but the Indy only likes 1" high drives. If those are
    normal "half height" drives, 1.6" thick, getting one in an Indy will
    require some surgery.

    The firmware may or may not be an issue, it all depends on what it is.
    If it's just some odd sector size, you can reformat the disks. In
    theory, a program called "sformat" will do that, but I was unable to
    make it work on my SGIs when I needed to reformat some disks from
    530-byte sectors to the more usual 512-byte. I ended up usng a PC
    that had a SCSI card with an on-board BIOS that included reformatting
    software.

    If the firmware is something truly odd, it's difficult to speculate as
    to whether it might work or not, or what might be have to be done to
    make it wok. Maybe you can re-flash the PROMs on the drives, maybe
    not.

    Bottome line? In the possibly-apocryphal words of Bob Dole,
    "Depends."

    -Shel

+ Reply to Thread