Lost root pw on Irix Origin 200 - SGI

This is a discussion on Lost root pw on Irix Origin 200 - SGI ; I have a major problem. In our development business, we haven't had requests for Irix based versions for a looong time. We hav now, for a Origin 3900. The guy who setup our two Origin 200 master/slave's aren't employed anylonger, ...

  1. Lost root pw on Irix Origin 200

    I have a major problem.
    In our development business, we haven't had requests for Irix based
    versions for a looong time. We hav now, for a Origin 3900.
    The guy who setup our two Origin 200 master/slave's aren't employed
    anylonger, and that was long before my time.
    The netcard fails, so no way of contacting the server that way.
    I've hooked up a serial console, but no one knows the root password.
    It's Irix 6.5.23 IP27.

    Any ways of resetting roots passwd? From the console, I tried single
    mode, which of cause require... dada, root passwd

    --
    Kind regards,
    Mogens V.

  2. Re: Lost root pw on Irix Origin 200

    :
    : Any ways of resetting roots passwd? From the console, I tried single
    : mode, which of cause require... dada, root passwd

    http://www.google.com/search?q=irix+...+root+password

    Depending on your set up, the easiest way to change the root password would
    either be booting from the install media, or removing the root drive an
    installing it in a different IRIX system or a Linux system with the appropriate
    kernel options enabled (SGI Partition types, XFS filesystem).

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler - Master of Code-fu
    -- nicoya@ubb.ca -- http://www.ubb.ca/ --

  3. Re: Lost root pw on Irix Origin 200

    Mogens V. wrote:
    >I have a major problem.
    >In our development business, we haven't had requests for Irix based
    >versions for a looong time. We hav now, for a Origin 3900.
    >The guy who setup our two Origin 200 master/slave's aren't employed
    >anylonger, and that was long before my time.
    >The netcard fails, so no way of contacting the server that way.
    >I've hooked up a serial console, but no one knows the root password.
    >It's Irix 6.5.23 IP27.

    >Any ways of resetting roots passwd? From the console, I tried single
    >mode, which of cause require... dada, root passwd

    You'll find detailed instructions on how to fix that, along with a lot
    of other valuable information on IRIX administration, at:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgi.html

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net I don't need an iPod, I have an IQ.