Indy OS upgrade - SGI

This is a discussion on Indy OS upgrade - SGI ; To keep a long story short I've finally managed to find the time to upgrade my Indy running 6.5.19 to 6.5.29 and lo-and-behold! I find that most of the old systems can't be upgraded past 6.5.22. So I have upgraded ...

  1. Indy OS upgrade

    To keep a long story short I've finally managed to find the time to
    upgrade my Indy running 6.5.19 to 6.5.29 and lo-and-behold! I find that
    most of the old systems can't be upgraded past 6.5.22.
    So I have upgraded to 6.5.22 but I am curious about the changes that are
    in the later versions.

    Trying to find out more information from the SGI support site was
    unsuccessful so I've decided to ask here.

    What is the reason's for this?

    Also, has anyone done an upgrade to 6.5.29 to an old system? If so, did
    you experience any problems?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Indy OS upgrade

    In article ,
    Mike Surman writes:
    > What is the reason's for this?

    See: https://support.sgi.com/content_requ...036/index.html

    Support for "legacy" systems (those before O2, Octane, Onyx2) ends
    at 6.5.22.

    ~Steve

  3. Re: Indy OS upgrade

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:06:17 -0500, Mike Surman wrote:
    > Also, has anyone done an upgrade to 6.5.29 to an old system? If so, did
    > you experience any problems?

    I'd expect the largest problem to be a sad lack of a kernel intended
    to run on legacy hardware as well as missing installation tools. You
    might be able to stitch together a frankenstein IRIX on a running
    system trying rulesoverride in inst. But most likely you'll end up
    reinstalling from scratch to 6.5.22.

    Gerhard

  4. Re: Indy OS upgrade

    Gerhard Lenerz has the idea. Though it's unlikely relevant
    kernel source was removed the builds targeted at the older
    hardware would have been turned off (The kernel and
    a few other things are built targeted to specific hardware).
    Meaning you would have to install the 'wrong image' and though it
    might sort of work it would surely fail in mysterious ways.
    Different hardware had different hardware 'issues' that software
    had to overcome - install wrong kernel software and the compensation
    code is missing and, well, things will
    not work reliably if they work at all. That's not the entire
    picture, but hopefully enough to convince Mike Surman
    not to install 6.5.29 where it's not intended to go!
    David Anderson

+ Reply to Thread