Transfer NIS Master - SGI

This is a discussion on Transfer NIS Master - SGI ; I have an old Indigo2 (Green) that is my NIS Master. This machine locks up occasionally and I need to move the NIS master to another machine (Octane). Anyone know where I can find information on this process. I am ...

  1. Transfer NIS Master

    I have an old Indigo2 (Green) that is my NIS Master. This machine
    locks up occasionally and I need to move the NIS master to another
    machine (Octane). Anyone know where I can find information on this
    process. I am a average admin at best with IRIX.

    Thanks,
    Mike-b

  2. Re: Transfer NIS Master

    flash wrote:
    > I have an old Indigo2 (Green) that is my NIS Master. This machine
    > locks up occasionally and I need to move the NIS master to another
    > machine (Octane). Anyone know where I can find information on this
    > process. I am a average admin at best with IRIX.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike-b

    I don't know if you could add a slave server, issue it to sync with the
    master and then kill the master and make the slave the new master...

    But I think it's easier just to install ypserv, build your maps again
    using copies of your passwd files and so on (or get them with ypcat),
    set the domainname to the one of the old machine, plug out the old one
    and plug in the new one and then rebind the clients.

    Maybe copying the map files could work to but this does not look like a
    good way

    Normally you should not run into any problems.

    HTH,

    Wimmy

    --
    Being owned by someone used to be called slavery.
    Now it's called commitment.

  3. Re: Transfer NIS Master

    Thanks a ton for the reply's. It will take me a bit to digest this but
    as soon as I get started on it, I will follow up and let you know how
    it went.

    Thanks again,
    Mike-b

+ Reply to Thread