Viewing Samba shares on WinXP - SGI

This is a discussion on Viewing Samba shares on WinXP - SGI ; Just installed Samba, all self test come back O.K., the sgi box even shows up on Windows XP's network, however, I can't seem to access the shares. Diags seem O.K. See below. [root: /usr/samba/bin]#./smbclient -L IRIS added interface ip=10.1.1.5 bcast=10.255.255.255 ...

  1. Viewing Samba shares on WinXP

    Just installed Samba, all self test come back O.K., the sgi box even
    shows up on Windows XP's network, however, I can't seem to access the
    shares.

    Diags seem O.K. See below.

    [root: /usr/samba/bin]#./smbclient -L IRIS
    added interface ip=10.1.1.5 bcast=10.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
    Password:
    Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a.2]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    homes Disk Home Directories
    print$ Disk printer driver directory
    tmp Disk Temporary file space
    / Disk SGI O2
    mayascn Disk Maya scenes directory on SGI
    IPC$ IPC IPC Service (SGI O2)
    ADMIN$ Disk IPC Service (SGI O2)
    root Disk Home Directories

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    IRIS SGI O2
    SPIDY Phil's

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    HOME SPIDY
    [root: /usr/samba/bin]#

    Any suggestions?

    P.S. I'm new to Samba, so treat me like a four year old.:-)

  2. Re: Viewing Samba shares on WinXP

    Spidy wrote:
    > Just installed Samba, all self test come back O.K., the sgi box even
    > shows up on Windows XP's network, however, I can't seem to access the
    > shares.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    Read the documentation regarding password encryption. XP will be doing
    this unless you have told it not to, so you will need to be sure that the
    samba setup does it too.

    # Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
    # security_level.txt for details.
    security = user
    # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
    # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
    # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/sfw/private/smbpasswd
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    valid users = %S

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  3. Re: Viewing Samba shares on WinXP

    It must be deeper than that. I tried it, the only difference was it
    asked for username and password.

    However, when I try and access it from XP I get the following:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Phil>net use x: \\IRIS\TMP
    System error 1240 has occurred.

    The account is not authorized to log in from this station.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Phil>net use x: \\IRIS\TMP
    The password or user name is invalid for \\IRIS\TMP.

    Enter the user name for 'IRIS': root
    Enter the password for IRIS:
    System error 1326 has occurred.

    Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Phil>net use x: \\IRIS\TMP
    System error 1240 has occurred.

    The account is not authorized to log in from this station.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Phil>net use x: \\IRIS\TMP
    System error 1240 has occurred.

    The account is not authorized to log in from this station.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Phil>net use x: \\IRIS\TMP
    The password or user name is invalid for \\IRIS\TMP.

    Enter the user name for 'IRIS': root
    Enter the password for IRIS:
    System error 1326 has occurred.

    Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Phil>net use x: \\IRIS\TMP
    The password or user name is invalid for \\IRIS\TMP.

    Enter the user name for 'IRIS': root
    Enter the password for IRIS:
    System error 1326 has occurred.

    Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Phil>

    I know I'm close, it seems to be a setting in smb.conf?

    Anything else I could try?

    Tristram Scott wrote:
    > Spidy wrote:
    >
    >>Just installed Samba, all self test come back O.K., the sgi box even
    >>shows up on Windows XP's network, however, I can't seem to access the
    >>shares.
    >>

    >>Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Read the documentation regarding password encryption. XP will be doing
    > this unless you have told it not to, so you will need to be sure that the
    > samba setup does it too.
    >
    > # Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
    > # security_level.txt for details.
    > security = user
    > # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
    > # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
    > # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > smb passwd file = /etc/sfw/private/smbpasswd
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > browseable = yes
    > writable = yes
    > valid users = %S

  4. Re: Viewing Samba shares on WinXP

    Spidy schrieb:
    > It must be deeper than that. I tried it, the only difference was it
    > asked for username and password.

    Create a user and password with the smbpasswd tool or switch to public
    mode for your shares.

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH Mobil: 0171/60 57 963
    D-97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  5. Re: Viewing Samba shares on WinXP

    How do I do that exactly?

    Remember I'm new to Samba.:-)

    Joerg Behrens wrote:

    > Spidy schrieb:
    >
    >> It must be deeper than that. I tried it, the only difference was it
    >> asked for username and password.

    > Create a user and password with the smbpasswd tool or switch to public
    > mode for your shares.
    >
    > regards
    > Joerg

  6. Re: Viewing Samba shares on WinXP

    Spidy schrieb:
    > How do I do that exactly?
    >
    > Remember I'm new to Samba.:-)

    [o2k]:~ $ man smbpasswd
    NAME
    smbpasswd - change a user's SMB password

    SYNOPSIS
    smbpasswd [-a] [-x] [-d] [-e] [-D debuglevel] [-n]
    [-r ] [-R ] [-m]
    [-U username[%password]] [-h] [-s] [-w pass] [-i] [-L]
    [username]

    When ever you would like to learn more about a programm or tool just
    take a look to it man page or try a "foobar -h".

    http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...TO-Collection/

    regards
    Joerg

  7. Re: Viewing Samba shares on WinXP

    Thank you.

    Setting encrypted passwords = yes and then running the command seems to
    have solved it.

    Now to get sharity to work.

    Any idea how to start the deamon?

    Joerg Behrens wrote:
    > Spidy schrieb:
    >
    >> How do I do that exactly?
    >>
    >> Remember I'm new to Samba.:-)
    >>

    > [o2k]:~ $ man smbpasswd
    > NAME
    > smbpasswd - change a user's SMB password
    >
    > SYNOPSIS
    > smbpasswd [-a] [-x] [-d] [-e] [-D debuglevel] [-n]
    > [-U username[%password]] [-h] [-s] [-w pass] [-i] [-L]
    > [username]
    >

    > When ever you would like to learn more about a programm or tool just
    > take a look to it man page or try a "foobar -h".
    >
    > http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...TO-Collection/
    >
    > regards
    > Joerg

+ Reply to Thread