[newbie] IRIX 6.5.5 not booting? Help! - SGI

This is a discussion on [newbie] IRIX 6.5.5 not booting? Help! - SGI ; Hi, I've just purchased an old Octane system with 6.5.5 installed. I turn it on, it does the diagnostics, etc, then I get an error message that says: "xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)partition(0)/unix - No such file or directory" (that wasn't copied verbatim, but ...

  1. [newbie] IRIX 6.5.5 not booting? Help!

    Hi,
    I've just purchased an old Octane system with 6.5.5 installed. I turn
    it on, it does the diagnostics, etc, then I get an error message that
    says:
    "xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)partition(0)/unix - No such file or directory"
    (that wasn't copied verbatim, but you get the idea)

    It's looking for a /unix folder to boot from, but it can't find it. I
    click 'OK', and I'm stuck on the Octane boot screen with 'Start
    System', 'Diagnostics', 'Command Prompt', etc, etc, etc...

    I'm a COMPLETE newbie to SGI and UNIX, but this system was supposed to
    have come with IRIX 6.5.5 installed and operational. Am I missing
    something?

    I can get into that command-prompt thing, boot into sash, and an 'ls'
    command shows that there's a whole bunch of files on the HD (eg. 'usr',
    'var', 'etc', 'desktop'), so that should indicate that IRIX is
    installed, shouldn't it?

    How can I fix this? I don't have a CDROM or network to another SGI
    machine...

  2. Re: [newbie] IRIX 6.5.5 not booting? Help!

    ya3thepower@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Hi,
    > I've just purchased an old Octane system with 6.5.5 installed. I turn
    > it on, it does the diagnostics, etc, then I get an error message that
    > says:
    > "xio(0)pci(15)scsi(0)partition(0)/unix - No such file or directory"
    > (that wasn't copied verbatim, but you get the idea)

    /unix was your kernel which doesnt exit. Without these file you cant
    boot into irix.

    > It's looking for a /unix folder to boot from, but it can't find it. I
    > click 'OK', and I'm stuck on the Octane boot screen with 'Start
    > System', 'Diagnostics', 'Command Prompt', etc, etc, etc...

    Enter the 'command prompt (5)' and type in 'hinv'. Check if there is a
    DISK on controller 0 (its the internal one) and ID 1. The disk slots in
    the Octane are numbered from 1-3 and beginns from the bottom. If you
    would like to boot from a DISK with ID 3 for example you have to edit
    some ENV settings. Try a 'printenv' on the prompt to check your settings.

    The name of this file is stored in the volume header of your disk under
    the 'bootfile' entry.

    > I'm a COMPLETE newbie to SGI and UNIX, but this system was supposed to
    > have come with IRIX 6.5.5 installed and operational. Am I missing
    > something?
    >
    > I can get into that command-prompt thing, boot into sash, and an 'ls'
    > command shows that there's a whole bunch of files on the HD (eg. 'usr',
    > 'var', 'etc', 'desktop'), so that should indicate that IRIX is
    > installed, shouldn't it?

    And did you see a '/unix' file? Take also a look into /var/adm/crash
    to find a copy of an older kernel. Maybe its possible to copy it back to
    the old location.

    > How can I fix this? I don't have a CDROM or network to another SGI
    > machine...

    Rule 1: never buy your first sgi system without cdrom and install medias.

    If you familar with unix/linux you can setup an tftp installserver and
    install/boot your sgi over network.

    regards
    Joerg

+ Reply to Thread