Linker error on SGI PRISM server - SGI

This is a discussion on Linker error on SGI PRISM server - SGI ; Hi all! I have got a small problem in my SGI Prism server. $ uname -a Linux prism 2.4.21-sgi306rp13 #5 SMP Wed Mar 1 18:57:28 CST 2006 ia64 ia64 ia64 GNU/Linux The SGI prism server is based on RHEL 3 ...

  1. Linker error on SGI PRISM server

    Hi all!

    I have got a small problem in my SGI Prism server.

    $ uname -a
    Linux prism 2.4.21-sgi306rp13 #5 SMP Wed Mar 1 18:57:28 CST 2006 ia64
    ia64 ia64 GNU/Linux

    The SGI prism server is based on RHEL 3 and . It uses a g++ version
    3.2.2 20030502. Now, on compiling a c program , I am getting following
    error when I compile the program:

    $ g++ test3.cpp nnet.cpp -I ~/library/headers -L ~/library/lib -lnrutil
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/swagat/library/lib/libnrutil.a
    when searching for -lnrutil
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnrutil
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

    I already have header files and static library libnrutil.a at the
    specified place. The same program does not give any error on my debian
    system with 2.6.x kernel.

    Can anybody resolve this issue?

    Regards,
    swagat

  2. Re: Linker error on SGI PRISM server

    In article <1142354308.969066.6240@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.co m>,
    "swagat" wrote:

    : Hi all!
    :
[...]

    Is your library compiled for IA64? You didn't copy it from an x86 system, did
    you?

    Run "objdump -a /home/swagat/library/lib/libnrutil.a" and examine the output to
    determine the ISA of the object files contained in the archive. If it shows
    "elf32-i386" then you will need to recompile the library for IA64, from source.

    You'll also need to make sure that the library was compiled with a similar g++
    version, as the C++ ABI has changed quite a few times in incompatible ways.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: Linker error on SGI PRISM server

    Thanks tony for your reply. That was exactly the reason. I copied the
    library from my i386 machine. I recompile the library and now its
    working.

    Regards,
    swagat

+ Reply to Thread