restore GUI boot, upgrading OS - SGI

This is a discussion on restore GUI boot, upgrading OS - SGI ; I'd set my O2 (running 6.5.19) to run headless as a server, but it has been powered down for awhile. Now when I boot it up, I get the "error" sound a bit after the startup chimes, and I cannot ...

  1. restore GUI boot, upgrading OS

    I'd set my O2 (running 6.5.19) to run headless as a server, but it has
    been powered down for awhile. Now when I boot it up, I get the "error"
    sound a bit after the startup chimes, and I cannot connect via ssh or
    telnet, and the power light stays orange instead of turning green. This
    box is the only non-Mac I have, so I don't know a whole lot about
    troubleshooting it. Is there any way to restore it to using the monitor
    and keyboard, perhaps using a boot CD of some kind?

    The reason I powered up again after not using it for awhile was that I
    recently found out I can upgrade to 6.5.22 for free. Can anyone point
    me to "definitive" instructions for doing this? The little I've found
    Googling makes it sound like there are some caveats that could trip me
    up pretty badly. I'd rather not try to piece together a bunch of
    incomplete instructions if the One True Way to upgrade Irix is available
    somewhere.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: restore GUI boot, upgrading OS

    Timothy Larson schrieb:
    > I'd set my O2 (running 6.5.19) to run headless as a server, but it has
    > been powered down for awhile.

    Is your headless server configurated to run without key/mouse? This is
    not the standard so it would be my first guess.

    > Now when I boot it up, I get the "error"
    > sound a bit after the startup chimes, and I cannot connect via ssh or
    > telnet, and the power light stays orange instead of turning green. This
    > box is the only non-Mac I have, so I don't know a whole lot about
    > troubleshooting it. Is there any way to restore it to using the monitor
    > and keyboard, perhaps using a boot CD of some kind?

    Sounds like a hardware issue and an boot CD cant help you there. So hook
    up a serial cable and use your favorite terminal programm with the
    settings 9600,8,1,N.

    > The reason I powered up again after not using it for awhile was that I
    > recently found out I can upgrade to 6.5.22 for free. Can anyone point
    > me to "definitive" instructions for doing this?

    Start reading the update instructions.

    > The little I've found
    > Googling makes it sound like there are some caveats that could trip me
    > up pretty badly. I'd rather not try to piece together a bunch of
    > incomplete instructions if the One True Way to upgrade Irix is available
    > somewhere.

    Download and install patch 5086 first. After that download and extract
    the 4 6.5.22 overlay tar.gz files into ONE directory and use the inst
    tool or just swmgr. Keep your irix 6.5 cds handy to solve conflicts.

    regards
    Joerg

  3. Re: restore GUI boot, upgrading OS

    Timothy Larson wrote:

    > I'd set my O2 (running 6.5.19) to run headless as a server, but it
    > has
    > been powered down for awhile. Now when I boot it up, I get the
    > "error" sound a bit after the startup chimes, and I cannot connect
    > via ssh or
    > telnet, and the power light stays orange instead of turning green.

    RTFM, Fig. 4-1 in
    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...0owner%20guide

    [...]

+ Reply to Thread