The Future of IRIX - SGI

  2. Re: The Future of IRIX

    In article <4402a752$0$14378$6d36acad@titian.nntpserver.com>,
    "Randal T. Rioux" wrote:

    : In scanning the news releases on sgi.com, I noticed no mentions (read:
    : pride or advertising) of IRIX since 2003. The most recent release
    : praises the Altix as their "flagship product" - which runs Linux. I
    : can't be the only one concerned that the abandonment of IRIX is coming
    : fast?

    Come and gone, really.

    : Does anyone from SGI read this group, and if so, can your provide any
    : details as to the future of IRIX? If it is getting the can, why not
    : start releasing the source or make more of the software tools available
    : for free?

    They are releasing the source and making the software and tools available, just
    on linux.

    It's a better deal that way too. If they just release IRIX specific source code,
    then it becomes really more trouble than it's worth for anyone to benefit from
    it. Maybe a few OS geeks might study their design decisions or use it to write a
    few drivers. But, by porting the code to linux, everyone gets to use it right
    away, and forever.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: The Future of IRIX

    Randal T. Rioux wrote:

    > Does anyone from SGI read this group, and if so, can your provide any
    > details as to the future of IRIX? If it is getting the can, why not
    > start releasing the source or make more of the software tools available
    > for free? It could have the Sun effect, and increase interest and sales!

    Because AT&T source (and possibly other) was fairly freely
    mixed in with IRIX source (sometimes for good reason, sometimes not)
    making source available is nearly impossible. And it's never safe to
    simply assume there was no mixing.

    Essentially there is no one to pay for the expensive
    'vetting' process to ensure there is no copyrighted-by-others
    source in any given source package one might want to open-source.

    Sorry, it just cannot happen aside from lucky special situations (such
    as stuff SGI has already open sourced).
    David Anderson

  4. Re: The Future of IRIX

  5. Re: The Future of IRIX

    The licensing status of IRIX compilers is not my call.
    Traditionally one became a registered developer and then
    got licensing free or nearly so. But I have no idea whether the
    procedures for that are still in place (nor do I know what they are now
    if the procedures exist).

+ Reply to Thread