beyond 6.5.22m - SGI

This is a discussion on beyond 6.5.22m - SGI ; Does anyone know when, if ever, SGI is going to make a maintenance release beyond 6.5.22m freely available? They seem to be not following their own rules on this since the maintenance system releases were supposed to become freely available ...

  1. beyond 6.5.22m

    Does anyone know when, if ever, SGI is going to make a maintenance
    release beyond 6.5.22m freely available? They seem to be not following
    their own rules on this since the maintenance system releases were
    supposed to become freely available after they had been available
    for a year. This has resulted in SGI having 6.5.22m out there which
    has long ceased to receive new security patches while they are already
    on 6.5.29m. We should have had several releases beyond 6.5.22m become
    freely available by now. This is sort of crap alone would keep me
    from considering their Linux based hardware.
    Jack

  2. Re: beyond 6.5.22m

    Jack Howarth wrote:
    > Does anyone know when, if ever, SGI is going to make a maintenance
    > release beyond 6.5.22m freely available? They seem to be not following
    > their own rules on this since the maintenance system releases were
    > supposed to become freely available after they had been available
    > for a year. This has resulted in SGI having 6.5.22m out there which
    > has long ceased to receive new security patches while they are already
    > on 6.5.29m. We should have had several releases beyond 6.5.22m become
    > freely available by now. This is sort of crap alone would keep me
    > from considering their Linux based hardware.
    > Jack

    I don't have an answer besides they do whatever they damn please,
    nothing is forcing them to give you anything for free...

    I am however curious to see what the connection is with the Linux-based
    hardware comment... Following sgi's thinking, if you're too cheap to
    evan get a service contract for IRIX, then you're not quite the
    potential customer for buying their hardware, now are you?

  3. Re: beyond 6.5.22m

    Hah. We were a customer until their performance went down the tubes
    in the late 90's. However from what I read recently at the
    www.theregister.co.uk, they are likely to be in bankruptcy soon
    anyway.
    Jack
    ps Their support is still a joke when you compare it to Sun. At
    least Sun still provides free Recommended Patch Clusters for their
    boxes so they don't represent a security threat out in the wild.

    In article ,
    UNIX Museum wrote:

    > Jack Howarth wrote:
    > > Does anyone know when, if ever, SGI is going to make a maintenance
    > > release beyond 6.5.22m freely available? They seem to be not following
    > > their own rules on this since the maintenance system releases were
    > > supposed to become freely available after they had been available
    > > for a year. This has resulted in SGI having 6.5.22m out there which
    > > has long ceased to receive new security patches while they are already
    > > on 6.5.29m. We should have had several releases beyond 6.5.22m become
    > > freely available by now. This is sort of crap alone would keep me
    > > from considering their Linux based hardware.
    > > Jack

    > I don't have an answer besides they do whatever they damn please,
    > nothing is forcing them to give you anything for free...
    >
    > I am however curious to see what the connection is with the Linux-based
    > hardware comment... Following sgi's thinking, if you're too cheap to
    > evan get a service contract for IRIX, then you're not quite the
    > potential customer for buying their hardware, now are you?

  4. Re: beyond 6.5.22m

    Jack Howarth wrote:
    > Hah. We were a customer until their performance went down the tubes
    > in the late 90's.

    Funny, we're the complete opposite: we're still using tons of sgi
    IRIX/MIPS hardware even though we've been trying hard to find
    alternatives... We also use quite a bit of Sun hardware... Both have a
    place in our business, both have strengths and weaknesses...

    However from what I read recently at the
    > www.theregister.co.uk, they are likely to be in bankruptcy soon
    > anyway.

    Articles from The Register are as good as the latest gossip on Paris
    Hilton's nip slip...

    > ps Their support is still a joke when you compare it to Sun. At
    > least Sun still provides free Recommended Patch Clusters for their
    > boxes so they don't represent a security threat out in the wild.

    I've always been very satisfied by the response I got from both Sun or
    sgi support, slightly better with sgi actually... As for security
    patches, Sun & sgi are on par: 6.5.22 vulnerabilities are addressed by
    patches that can be downloaded by anybody with a supportfolio account...

    The nice thing about Sun though is the ability to download Solaris 10
    and Studio 11. That is a pretty smart move, especially Studio... The
    MIPSPro compilers are pretty expensive if you aren't a developer plus
    member... The thing that impressed me with Sun is the speed with which I
    was able to register our company and applications on the Sun directory...

+ Reply to Thread