Need help for Octane 2 install - SGI

This is a discussion on Need help for Octane 2 install - SGI ; Hi i try install a original Irix 6.5.13 on my Octane2 with a clear hard disk drive 36GB but when i choose "Install system software -> local cd-rom" I was waiting for a message of repartition oparation, else the only ...

  1. Need help for Octane 2 install

    Hi i try install a original Irix 6.5.13 on my Octane2 with a clear hard disk
    drive 36GB but when i choose "Install system software -> local cd-rom" I was
    waiting for a message of repartition oparation, else the only message that
    return me is:
    "bootfile not set, using default.
    dks0d1s8: volume header not valid.
    swap partition (0) is not a valid swap area"

    I think that this message appear 'cos the HD is not formatted
    I don't know how formatting the disk drive...
    Please help me!!
    Thanks a lot...
    Stefano.

    P.S. the cdrom drive is setting with ID7

  2. Re: Need help for Octane 2 install

    Stefano schrieb:
    > Hi i try install a original Irix 6.5.13 on my Octane2 with a clear hard disk
    > drive 36GB but when i choose "Install system software -> local cd-rom" I was
    > waiting for a message of repartition oparation, else the only message that

    Because you dont run the fdisk utility first to create a 'rootdisk'.
    boot -f dksc(1,7,8)sash64 dksc(1,7,7)stand/fx.64 --x

    > return me is:
    > "bootfile not set, using default.
    > dks0d1s8: volume header not valid.
    > swap partition (0) is not a valid swap area"
    >
    > I think that this message appear 'cos the HD is not formatted
    > I don't know how formatting the disk drive...

    Just read http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html

    regards
    Joerg

+ Reply to Thread