OPen serial port on Irix. Help me!! - SGI

This is a discussion on OPen serial port on Irix. Help me!! - SGI ; I'm a novice of IRIX systems. I must use a glove on my ONYX4 connected through a serial port. I have the driver code for Linux. I know that changing the device file /dev/sstyS0 with /dev7ttyf3 for IRIX (hardware flow ...

  1. OPen serial port on Irix. Help me!!

    I'm a novice of IRIX systems. I must use a glove on my ONYX4 connected
    through a serial port. I have the driver code for Linux. I know that
    changing the device file /dev/sstyS0 with /dev7ttyf3 for IRIX
    (hardware flow control) it should work fine. Unfortunately it does not
    go. I have tried to use system manager by adding a seril device, I
    have changed the inittab file, but nothing. In my opinion it needs to
    set and open in right way the serial port. The detailed
    characteristics of the glove are these:
    speed = 38400 bps
    bits = 8
    parity = NOT
    stopbit = 1
    hardware flow control.
    The init tab line that I modified is :

    t3:23ff:/sbin/suattr -C CAP_FOWNER,CAP_DEVICE_MGT,CAP_DAC_WRITE+ip -c
    "/sbin/getty ttyf3 dx_38400" # dx_38400.

    ANY suggestions?
    thanks in advance !

    Tommy

  2. Re: OPen serial port on Irix. Help me!!

    "MGT" writes:

    > I'm a novice of IRIX systems. I must use a glove on my ONYX4 connected
    > through a serial port. I have the driver code for Linux.

    Do you have a driver for IRIX?

    If the answer is "no", that's what you need to address first. It does
    not matter if you can connect the device if nobody's listening.

  3. Re: OPen serial port on Irix. Help me!!

    Yes, I have the driver code for Irix. It can open the port, but it's no
    possible to receive data from the glove!
    Any suggestions?

  4. Re: OPen serial port on Irix. Help me!!

    * "MGT"
    | The init tab line that I modified is :
    |
    | t3:23ff:/sbin/suattr -C CAP_FOWNER,CAP_DEVICE_MGT,CAP_DAC_WRITE+ip -c
    | "/sbin/getty ttyf3 dx_38400" # dx_38400.

    I don't think you should be using getty on that port if you intend to
    use it directly with other programs. getty is to provide a login
    session on that port, which is not what you want here.

    I'd start with commenting that line out of inittab, and then make sure
    nothing else uses that port.

    R'

  5. Re: OPen serial port on Irix. Help me!!

    Le Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:13:15 -0700, MGT a écrit*:

    > The init tab line that I modified is :
    >
    > t3:23ff:/sbin/suattr -C CAP_FOWNER,CAP_DEVICE_MGT,CAP_DAC_WRITE+ip -c
    > "/sbin/getty ttyf3 dx_38400" # dx_38400.

    That's certainly not w terminal, useful to login but useless for any other serial device! remove
    the settings you added and first try to configure your serial port from
    the GUI : toolchest->System Manager->Serial devices, that's the easy way.

    --
    Si non confectus non reficiat.

+ Reply to Thread