Octane Install Problem - SGI

This is a discussion on Octane Install Problem - SGI ; New 18gb disk, boot from install CD, usual repartition, rootdisk, label, sync etc and start the install. Miniroot seems to copy but then I get a message (followed by reset of machine after 10 secs or so) too quick to ...

  1. Octane Install Problem

    New 18gb disk, boot from install CD, usual repartition, rootdisk,
    label, sync etc and start the install.

    Miniroot seems to copy but then I get a message (followed by reset of
    machine after 10 secs or so) too quick to write down (serial console
    tmrw!) sth about /hw, unable to find device then showing the path to
    the disk partition I think, with /ql in it (qlogic I think) also saying
    it can't find it. Then sth about device 'dks' (not dksc) and a message
    about checking nvram.

    I've done 'resetenv', hinv show all the disks present and cdrom too.
    Terminated properly as well! Diags checkout. White lightbar.

    Boots fine with old system disk.

    Just tried another disk, 37gb, same errors. Disk get very hot tho.

    Am I missing sth!?

    Steve

  2. Re: Octane Install Problem

    Le Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:32:29 +0100, Steve a écrit*:

    > Am I missing sth!?

    Did you create a swap partition on the disk? What OS version are you
    installing?

    --
    Le travail est la malédiction des classes qui boivent.
    O. Wilde.

  3. Re: Octane Install Problem

    Emmanuel Florac schrieb:
    > Le Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:32:29 +0100, Steve a écrit :
    >

    >>Am I missing sth!?

    > Did you create a swap partition on the disk? What OS version are you
    > installing?

    And tell us also what kind of octane (r1xk, vpro or mgras).

    regards
    Joerg

  4. Re: Octane Install Problem

    Sorry for missing info!

    System is Octane, dual R10K/195, 512mb, MXI gfx. My only CD set is Irix 6.5.

    I didn't create a swap partition cos to be honest I thought
    'repartition, rootdisk' would do that for me. I newly back to SGI-land,
    I've done all this many times before on an Indigo2 (I still have it1)
    and several O2's.

    However, I have googled and circumvented the problem by using an SGI
    firmwared disk. Only 4gb one but ok for root disk. The other disks are
    Seagate and IBM respectively but worked in the O2's I had!

    This 4gb disk works oerfectly, OS installed and rebooted.

    I get the text messages I remember about webface being on etc and
    screen switches to launch the login window but goes blank. New problem!
    Screen is Sun 21" Flat CRT that works fine normally, and with this
    system with the original system disk. Screen just goes blank ie not
    powersaves or out of sync.

    Any help with this one, hope I've not missed any info.

    Cheers

    Steve

  5. Re: Octane Install Problem

    Le Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:11:21 +0100, Steve a écrit*:

    > I get the text messages I remember about webface being on etc and screen
    > switches to launch the login window but goes blank. New problem! Screen is
    > Sun 21" Flat CRT that works fine normally, and with this system with the
    > original system disk. Screen just goes blank ie not powersaves or out of
    > sync.

    Start the machine in single user mode first : stop for maintenance (esc),
    enter command monitor (5), "single". Then you should check
    /usr/gfx/gfxinfo output to see if there's anything weird.

    --
    A travers l'audimat, c'est la logique du commercial qui s'impose aux
    productions culturelles. Or, il est important de savoir que,

  6. Re: Octane Install Problem

    On 2005-09-28 14:23:35 +0100, Emmanuel Florac said:

    > Le Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:11:21 +0100, Steve a écrit*:
    >

    >> I get the text messages I remember about webface being on etc and screen
    >> switches to launch the login window but goes blank. New problem! Screen is
    >> Sun 21" Flat CRT that works fine normally, and with this system with the
    >> original system disk. Screen just goes blank ie not powersaves or out of
    >> sync.

    > Start the machine in single user mode first : stop for maintenance (esc),
    > enter command monitor (5), "single". Then you should check
    > /usr/gfx/gfxinfo output to see if there's anything weird.

    Well! I did boot into sngle user, did nothing really and did init 3 and
    gfx came back - ok so far apart from some glitches and artifacts. I
    feared the TRAMs might be suspect but hardware diags pass and no
    problems since. Touch wood!

    All seems ok now, just had issues with domain or search line missing
    from resolv.conf, don't remeber that issue from my previous SGI fun!

    Thanks!

    Steve

  7. Re: Octane Install Problem

    Le Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:05:16 +0100, Steve a écrit*:

    > All seems ok now, just had issues with domain or search line missing from
    > resolv.conf, don't remeber that issue from my previous SGI fun!

    It did change somewhere between IRIX 6.2 and 6.5, IIRC.

    > Thanks!

    You're welcome.

    --
    Mais monsieur, voudriez-vous que je me l'écorchasse?
    Barbey d'Aurevilly.

+ Reply to Thread