minimum IRIX version on Fuel - SGI

This is a discussion on minimum IRIX version on Fuel - SGI ; Hello all, What's the minimum _full_ IRIX version (note: not overlay) that knows about a Fuel ? I have initially naively speculated of just scrubbing the system disk and installing a clean OS with the latest overlay applied just as ...

  1. minimum IRIX version on Fuel

    Hello all,

    What's the minimum _full_ IRIX version (note: not overlay)
    that knows about a Fuel ? I have initially naively speculated
    of just scrubbing the system disk and installing a clean OS
    with the latest overlay applied just as I usually do with
    Octanes and O2s but it occured to me that back in 1998 there
    was no such thing as an IP34/35 so the procedure may fail ...
    Any info on the matter is, as always, greatly appreciated.

    Thanks and regards,
    Christian

  2. Re: minimum IRIX version on Fuel

    In article <1127257396.4458@erwin.inf.tu-dresden.de>,
    Christian Boehme wrote:

    : Hello all,
    :
    : What's the minimum _full_ IRIX version (note: not overlay)
    : that knows about a Fuel ? I have initially naively speculated
    : of just scrubbing the system disk and installing a clean OS
    : with the latest overlay applied just as I usually do with
    : Octanes and O2s but it occured to me that back in 1998 there
    : was no such thing as an IP34/35 so the procedure may fail ...
    : Any info on the matter is, as always, greatly appreciated.

    The best plan is to start with the inst-tools CD (aka CD 1) from your latest
    patchset, and install both the overlay and the base 6.5 in one go.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: minimum IRIX version on Fuel

    Christian Boehme writes:

    > What's the minimum _full_ IRIX version (note: not overlay)
    > that knows about a Fuel ?

    There isn't such a thing. The IRIX 6.5 base release doesn't know
    about Fuel, and there hasn't been a full version since, as you of
    course know. The minimum overlay required is 6.5.15, it seems.
    Our Fuel arrived with 6.5.17 in August 2002.

    > I have initially naively speculated of just scrubbing the system disk
    > and installing a clean OS with the latest overlay applied just as I
    > usually do with Octanes and O2s but it occured to me that back in 1998
    > there was no such thing as an IP34/35 so the procedure may fail ...
    > Any info on the matter is, as always, greatly appreciated.

    Why anybody would install the base release first and only upgrade to
    the latest overlay afterwards is beyond me. Go for the overlay right
    away. Use the latest kit available to you.

  4. Re: minimum IRIX version on Fuel

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:

    > Why anybody would install the base release first and only upgrade to
    > the latest overlay afterwards is beyond me.

    Not to me What do you do with a sparkling new disk after having
    it specifically partitioned (a thing usually not done with a system
    disk when the system in question is up & running) to make it work
    in said system ? I'd install an OS that, again, very specifically
    suits my needs.

    Cheers,
    Christian

  5. Re: minimum IRIX version on Fuel

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:

    > The best plan is to start with the inst-tools CD (aka CD 1) from your
    > latest patchset, and install both the overlay and the base 6.5 in one go.

    I usually netboot the box with the appropriate miniroot from
    the overlays which, apparently, already contains the kernel _to
    be installed_ and not some miniroot kernel. Is that what you're
    implying ?

    Cheers,
    Christian

  6. Re: minimum IRIX version on Fuel

    Christian Boehme writes:

    > Not to me What do you do with a sparkling new disk after having
    > it specifically partitioned (a thing usually not done with a system
    > disk when the system in question is up & running) to make it work
    > in said system ? I'd install an OS that, again, very specifically
    > suits my needs.

    I install the latest IRIX release. I can't think of a general reason
    to install anything that has known security deficiencies. There are
    a few packages that refuse to work past 6.5.10 but fortunately we are
    not running any of them any more.

    I start with the miniroot from the latest overlay and open 1of3, 2of3,
    3of3, Applications, and Complementary Applications from the latest
    overlay set, as well as Foundation 1, Foundation 2, the compilers,
    Development Foundation, Development Libraries, and NFS from the base
    6.5 set. After all of these are open in inst, I select the packages
    I want, if I want to alter the default installation. Then I hit "go".

    You will have to do the same if you want to install an OS onto Fuel
    because the base 6.5 kit doesn't support IP35.

  7. Re: minimum IRIX version on Fuel

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:

    > You will have to do the same if you want to install an OS onto Fuel
    > because the base 6.5 kit doesn't support IP35.

    Which is _precisely_ what I was assuming in the OP.

    Cheers,
    Christian

+ Reply to Thread