Software for IRIX - SGI

This is a discussion on Software for IRIX - SGI ; Hi all, You've got the SGI machine, but what about the software? What would you list as the top 5 essential programs for IRIX. Could be freeware or commercial. Thanks in advance, P....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Software for IRIX

    Hi all,

    You've got the SGI machine, but what about the software?

    What would you list as the top 5 essential programs for IRIX.

    Could be freeware or commercial.

    Thanks in advance,

    P.

  2. Re: Software for IRIX

    > What would you list as the top 5 essential programs for IRIX.
    >
    > Could be freeware or commercial.

    Eeh, this is completely irrelevant, this depends on the purpose of use.
    But I suspect most programs will have something to do with visualisation.

    Here we use them for crystallography, so Turbo/Frodo is most used.

    Here is a list of freeware for SGI, maintained by SGI itself;
    http://freeware.sgi.com/
    But it's not being updated frequently, and most of it is GNU software
    from www.gnu.org, precompiled and packaged...

    Wimmy

  3. Re: Software for IRIX

    mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com wrote:

    >You've got the SGI machine, but what about the software?

    Slowly, but surely, the NetBSD pkg system is crawling up on the
    unsuspecting IRIX.

    >What would you list as the top 5 essential programs for IRIX.

    Tcsh, vim 5.x, less, python 2.x, perl 5.x.

    scs

  4. Re: Software for IRIX

    Thanks, I was thinking something like:

    1. Photoshop for IRIX
    2. XMMS/mpg123 for audio
    3. Firefox from Nekochan
    4. Blender
    5. Maya/SoftImage

    Though I'm sure there are other nuggets of gold out there worth digging
    up and using...

    Cheers,

    P.

  5. Re: Software for IRIX

    mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com wrote:
    [ 'holy' Irix software du jour ]

    >Thanks, I was thinking something like:

    >1. Photoshop for IRIX

    For me not essential. Have netpbm and (digital) photofilters of my own;
    more are in the works. There's alse Pegamento: impressive.

    >2. XMMS/mpg123 for audio

    For me not essential, but I have mpg123. Own audioports (ogg, mpe, etc)
    are in the works.

    >3. Firefox from Nekochan

    I avoid Netscape clowns^Wclones, as the UI is severely flawed and irritating.
    Prefer to use remote Opera.

    >4. Blender

    Looked at it; havec no use for it. Use povray + scripting extensions
    for the few times I render.

    >5. Maya/SoftImage

    Have no use for it.

    Most things I use are 'boring' standard developer stuff and is in the
    NetBSD ports tree or will be.

    The only holy 3rd party program I currently respect highly and can't
    build myself yet is the Irix port of mplayer.

    scs

  6. Re: Software for IRIX

    mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > You've got the SGI machine, but what about the software?
    >
    > What would you list as the top 5 essential programs for IRIX.
    >
    > Could be freeware or commercial.

    Hi,

    My 5 is:
    1) Softimage|3D - this software rulz Unfortunately |3D is no longer
    developed, but some old XSI versions are also availble.
    2) Maya
    3) Blender
    4) Photoshop 3.0 (it's a pity that this is latest (only?) IRIX version
    5) Lightwave 5.6 - same problem as with PS

    THere are also many other great software packages, but problems with
    acquiring licenses are almost ubelievable (old Alias SW) or HW (and SW)
    cost is to big (Discreet compositing SW)

    Regards,
    Robert

  7. Re: Software for IRIX

    S.C.Sprong wrote:

    >>3. Firefox from Nekochan

    > I avoid Netscape clowns^Wclones, as the UI is severely flawed and irritating.
    > Prefer to use remote Opera.

    I'm goad I haven't run into any problems like you have. I checked out
    www.opera.com (which appears to be the site for the browser) and they
    don't say anything about a port to IRIX other than it's a port being
    considered.

    Where did you get it from (specifically) so I can download it and see
    what it looks like for myself? I'm always up to checking out new stuff!

    Thanks,

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    (to email me, just take out the NOSPAM)

    Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
    This email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with out
    my permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
    result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

  8. Re: Software for IRIX

    Chris Jones writes:

    > > Prefer to use remote Opera.

    > I'm goad I haven't run into any problems like you have. I checked out
    > www.opera.com (which appears to be the site for the browser) and they
    > don't say anything about a port to IRIX other than it's a port being
    > considered.

    Note the original poster said "remote". I gather they are running
    Opera remotely from a supported platform.

  9. Re: Software for IRIX

    "Chris Jones" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > S.C.Sprong wrote:
    >

    >>>3. Firefox from Nekochan

    >> I avoid Netscape clowns^Wclones, as the UI is severely flawed and
    >> irritating.
    >> Prefer to use remote Opera.
    >>

    > I'm goad I haven't run into any problems like you have. I checked
    > out www.opera.com (which appears to be the site for the browser) and
    > they don't say anything about a port to IRIX other than it's a port
    > being considered.
    >
    > Where did you get it from (specifically) so I can download it and
    > see what it looks like for myself? I'm always up to checking out
    > new stuff!

    He use OPERA from a remote machine and not as an irix application from
    any mips box.

    regards
    Joerg

  10. Re: Software for IRIX

    Joerg Behrens wrote:
    [ remote Opera browser, not Opera MIPS ]
    >He use OPERA from a remote machine and not as an irix application from
    >any mips box.

    Indeed. A splendid arrangement between the stupenduously amount of RAM
    and CPU power in a peecee and the responsiveness of Irix X.

    scs

  11. Re: Software for IRIX

    > Indeed. A splendid arrangement between the stupenduously amount of RAM
    > and CPU power in a peecee and the responsiveness of Irix X.

    Is that using something like vncviewer, or another form of desktop
    sharing?

    It would be handy to be able to have the resposive IRIX as main
    desktop, and keep compatibility with others using PC software.

    It's this sort of utils and tweaks that I'm sure I can learn from
    others...

    Cheers,

    P.

  12. Re: Software for IRIX

    mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com wrote:
    [ I wrote ]
    >> Indeed. A splendid arrangement between the stupenduously amount of RAM
    >> and CPU power in a peecee and the responsiveness of Irix X.

    >Is that using something like vncviewer, or another form of desktop
    >sharing?

    In this case, just a remote X application and a generous use of NFS file
    sharing, but I intend to look at VNC for Microsoft products in the near
    future. I currently have no idea what VNC s exactly, or how it works,
    or whether using remote Windows applications is at all usable with Unix.

    >It would be handy to be able to have the resposive IRIX as main
    >desktop, and keep compatibility with others using PC software.

    Absolutely; that's why I like SGI boxes.

    scs

  13. Re: Software for IRIX

    On 2005-06-29, S.C.Sprong wrote:
    > mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com wrote:
    > [ I wrote ]
    >>> Indeed. A splendid arrangement between the stupenduously amount of RAM
    >>> and CPU power in a peecee and the responsiveness of Irix X.

    >>Is that using something like vncviewer, or another form of desktop
    >>sharing?

    > In this case, just a remote X application and a generous use of NFS file
    > sharing, but I intend to look at VNC for Microsoft products in the near
    > future. I currently have no idea what VNC s exactly, or how it works,
    > or whether using remote Windows applications is at all usable with Unix.

    VNC makes it appear as though you are sitting in front of that
    particular Windows system. It's used a lot by IT departments to take
    control of an employee's desktop system to fix it. VNC was created by
    Bell Labs and has evolved in to a variety of different versions and I
    think even Windows has some sort of variant now.

    VNC does not allow easy integration between two systems. I find tools
    like Synergy to be more useful. If you have a Windows system next to
    your SGI, you can use Synergy to share the keyboard and mouse. You get
    a shared clipboard and, if you set up a Windows share or NFS mount, you
    can get shared files.

    But I don't have Windows systems at home. I have had to run a Windows
    program at home before and I just used one of the many x86 emulators
    available. Bochs was ok. I hear Qemu is ok too.

    --
    David Cantrell (david@burdell.org)

  14. Re: Software for IRIX

    David Cantrell wrote:
    >On 2005-06-29, S.C.Sprong wrote:
    >> I currently have no idea what VNC s exactly, or how it works, or
    >> whether using remote Windows applications is at all usable with Unix.

    >VNC makes it appear as though you are sitting in front of that
    >particular Windows system. It's used a lot by IT departments to take
    >control of an employee's desktop system to fix it. [...]
    >VNC does not allow easy integration between two systems.

    Thank you for your comments. My intention is to find out how much
    integration between Microsoft Windows XP and X is possible.

    scs

  15. Re: Software for IRIX

    On 2005-06-29, S.C.Sprong wrote:
    > David Cantrell wrote:
    >>On 2005-06-29, S.C.Sprong wrote:
    >>> I currently have no idea what VNC s exactly, or how it works, or
    >>> whether using remote Windows applications is at all usable with Unix.

    >>VNC makes it appear as though you are sitting in front of that
    >>particular Windows system. It's used a lot by IT departments to take
    >>control of an employee's desktop system to fix it. [...]
    >>VNC does not allow easy integration between two systems.

    > Thank you for your comments. My intention is to find out how much
    > integration between Microsoft Windows XP and X is possible.

    I'll go ahead and say some more. At my last job I had an Ultra 10
    (yeah, I know...Sun, but that's what the employer used) on my desk and
    a Windows system. I used Synergy to share the mouse and keyboard. The
    Ultra 10 was my main workstation and the Windows system was the slave.
    I was able to share the clipboard easily and I had the whole C: volume
    from the Windows system available on the Ultra 10.

    I went a step further. I installed Cygwin on Windows, which gives you a
    Unix environment with X. The X server integrates very well with
    Windows. I had it launch at startup and run minimized. I was able to
    run apps from the Sun and display then on the Windows system.

    Had I gone the other way and used the Windows system as my main
    workstation, I don't think the integration would have been as useful.
    But that's just me.

    With all of that software running (X server on both systems, synergy,
    etc, etc), I think it would be possible (but incredibly painful) to
    implement a system that lets you drag a window from one system to the
    other and automatically take care of changing over to the other X
    server.

    --
    David Cantrell (david@burdell.org)

  16. Re: Software for IRIX

    > I went a step further. I installed Cygwin on Windows, which gives you a
    > Unix environment with X. The X server integrates very well with
    > Windows. I had it launch at startup and run minimized. I was able to
    > run apps from the Sun and display then on the Windows system.

    David,

    That's very interesting.

    So are you saying that you can install X on windows and remotely export
    something like Word or Excel and make it appear on the Unix machine? Is
    this usable or painful?

    I say this is interesting as I have access to a Sun Blade 100, SGI O2,
    Apple Mac, Dull PC with Linux and a PC running windows at the office
    .... and a limited amount of desk space and screens...

    P.

  17. Re: Software for IRIX

    On 2005-06-29, mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> I went a step further. I installed Cygwin on Windows, which gives you a
    >> Unix environment with X. The X server integrates very well with
    >> Windows. I had it launch at startup and run minimized. I was able to
    >> run apps from the Sun and display then on the Windows system.

    > David,
    >
    > That's very interesting.
    >
    > So are you saying that you can install X on windows and remotely export
    > something like Word or Excel and make it appear on the Unix machine? Is
    > this usable or painful?

    No, doesn't work that way. Guess I wasn't clear on it. Cygwin gives
    you an X server on Windows, which means you can use it to display
    remotely running X software. In my case, I used it to display software
    that was running on the Ultra 10.

    To my knowledge, there is no way to execute a Windows program and have
    it display on anything other than the locally attached monitor.
    Software like VNC gets around this limitation by giving you a view of
    the whole locally attached monitor over the network.

    > I say this is interesting as I have access to a Sun Blade 100, SGI O2,
    > Apple Mac, Dull PC with Linux and a PC running windows at the office
    > ... and a limited amount of desk space and screens...

    Synergy can at least help reduce the number of keyboards and mice you
    have. Some of those can probably go headless, but I don't know what
    your requirements are.

    Synergy page: http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

    --
    David Cantrell (david@burdell.org)

  18. Re: Software for IRIX

    mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>I went a step further. I installed Cygwin on Windows, which gives you a
    >>Unix environment with X. The X server integrates very well with
    >>Windows. I had it launch at startup and run minimized. I was able to
    >>run apps from the Sun and display then on the Windows system.

    > David,
    >
    > That's very interesting.
    >
    > So are you saying that you can install X on windows and remotely export
    > something like Word or Excel and make it appear on the Unix machine? Is
    > this usable or painful?

    The other way round.
    Cygwin is good enough to login to Irix and Solaris form Windows, just do
    XWin --query IP_Address_Of_Target_Machine
    For more complicated 3D works, taking a look at Hummingbird's products,
    I am using Exceed 7 and found it to be faster than using Cygwin.

    > I say this is interesting as I have access to a Sun Blade 100, SGI O2,
    > Apple Mac, Dull PC with Linux and a PC running windows at the office
    > ... and a limited amount of desk space and screens...

    My suggestion to you,
    PS2 KVM for O2, PCs and Mac(using USB to PS2 adaptor), remote login to
    Blade, don't use USB to PS2 adaptor with Blades, OBP *sometimes* will
    not detect kyboard and change to console mode! and it's always better
    using a Sun keyboard with Blades, so if you have space left for another
    keyboard and mouse, do it! just share the monitor between them via KVM.
    Some of the KVM will allow you to connect PS2, USB and mini-Din 8 for
    UltraSparc, check on eBay, you may get lucky to find one, if it comes
    with the right cables, it's even better(I found on for 60UK pounds, but
    4 sets of cables cost me over 100 pounds).

    HTH
    S.Chang

  19. Re: Software for IRIX

    David Cantrell writes:

    > To my knowledge, there is no way to execute a Windows program and
    > have it display on anything other than the locally attached monitor.
    > Software like VNC gets around this limitation by giving you a view
    > of the whole locally attached monitor over the network.

    Windows Terminal Services and Citrix allow stuff to run on a server,
    but have the display be on a client. Think X11 dumb terminals using
    XDMP (?) to log onto a remote host: same idea.

    --
    David Magda

  20. Re: Software for IRIX

    In article ,
    David Magda wrote:

    : Windows Terminal Services and Citrix allow stuff to run on a server,
    : but have the display be on a client. Think X11 dumb terminals using
    : XDMP (?) to log onto a remote host: same idea.

    If you have XP Pro or some other variant of windows with Remote Desktop built-in
    (single-user version of Terminal Services), you can use rdesktop on pretty much
    any unix-like OS for the client side. (except on MacOS X, where you'd be much
    better off using Microsoft's own Remote Desktop client)

    http://www.rdesktop.org/

    It compiles and runs just fine on IRIX. It's nice to be able to put a windows
    machine in the closet and use it remotely with rdesktop from a Real Computer[tm].

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast