X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L - SGI

This is a discussion on X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L - SGI ; I managed to get my hands on an SGI Challenge L. It doesn't have the video option. However, I noticed that X is indeed installed (probably just as part of Irix 6.5). Is there anyway to get X server to ...

  1. X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    I managed to get my hands on an SGI Challenge L. It doesn't have the
    video option. However, I noticed that X is indeed installed (probably
    just as part of Irix 6.5). Is there anyway to get X server to run in
    some kind of a virtual frame buffer and use remote X clients or SSH
    into an X session?

    Here are the hardware specs:

    System Bus Information:
    Slot 1: MC3 memory board with 512 megabytes of memory (Enabled)
    Slot 2: IP19 processor board with 2 cpus (Enabled)
    Slot 3: IP19 processor board with 2 cpus (Enabled)
    Slot 5: IO4 I/O peripheral controller board (Enabled)
    System: IP19

    Processor: 150 Mhz R4400, 1M secondary cache

    Primary I-cache size: 16 Kbytes

    Primary D-cache size: 16 Kbytes

    Secondary cache size: 1024 Kbytes

    Processor: 150 Mhz R4400, 1M secondary cache, (cpu 1)

    Primary I-cache size: 16 Kbytes

    Primary D-cache size: 16 Kbytes

    Secondary cache size: 1024 Kbytes

    Processor: 150 Mhz R4400, 1M secondary cache, (cpu 2)

    Primary I-cache size: 16 Kbytes

    Primary D-cache size: 16 Kbytes

    Secondary cache size: 1024 Kbytes

    Processor: 150 Mhz R4400, 1M secondary cache, (cpu 3)

    Primary I-cache size: 16 Kbytes

    Primary D-cache size: 16 Kbytes

    Secondary cache size: 1024 Kbytes

    Memory size: 512 Mbytes

    SCSI CDROM: scsi(0)cdrom(2)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(1)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(2)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(3)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(4)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(5)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(6)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(7)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(8)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(9)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(10)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(11)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(12)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(13)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(14)

    SCSI Disk: scsi(1)disk(15)

  2. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Le Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:43:07 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:

    > I managed to get my hands on an SGI Challenge L. It doesn't have the video
    > option. However, I noticed that X is indeed installed (probably just as
    > part of Irix 6.5). Is there anyway to get X server to run in some kind of
    > a virtual frame buffer and use remote X clients or SSH into an X session?

    Terhe is a confusion here : the X server is actually the display. If you
    have some other machine with an X display (some unix/linux box, or windows
    with additioonal software) you can run the X apps on your challenge BUT
    displaying remotely on your X server. That's the magic of X11.
    Just configure your Xserver correctly, rlogin (or better ssh) to your
    challenge and run winterm or some other X app.

    --
    In girum imus nocte ecce et consumimur igni

  3. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Le Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:43:07 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:
    >

    > > I managed to get my hands on an SGI Challenge L. It doesn't have
    > > the video option. However, I noticed that X is indeed installed
    > > (probably just as part of Irix 6.5). Is there anyway to get X
    > > server to run in some kind of a virtual frame buffer and use remote
    > > X clients or SSH into an X session?

    > Terhe is a confusion here : the X server is actually the display. If
    > you have some other machine with an X display (some unix/linux box,
    > or windows with additioonal software) you can run the X apps on your
    > challenge BUT displaying remotely on your X server. That's the magic
    > of X11. Just configure your Xserver correctly, rlogin (or better
    > ssh) to your challenge and run winterm or some other X app.

    Any ideas on how to do this?

    Thx.
    Harout Hedeshian

  4. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:43:07 -0500, "Harout Hedeshian"
    wrote:

    >I managed to get my hands on an SGI Challenge L.

    Welcome to the club!

    A Challenge L is a fun machine to have around.

    > It doesn't have the
    >video option. However, I noticed that X is indeed installed (probably
    >just as part of Irix 6.5). Is there anyway to get X server to run in
    >some kind of a virtual frame buffer and use remote X clients or SSH
    >into an X session?

    X terminology is different. The software you run on your local
    machine, and which shows you the displays, is the X _server_.

    The software that runs on the distant machine is the X _client_.

    Yeah, I know.

    So ... you can do like I do, which is to run an X server on your
    laptop, and run the X client on the Challenge. I use XFree86 from
    Cygwin. It works Just Fine.

    -Shel

  5. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Sheldon T. Hall - DO NOT MAIL wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:43:07 -0500, "Harout Hedeshian"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I managed to get my hands on an SGI Challenge L.

    > Welcome to the club!

    Thanks!

    > A Challenge L is a fun machine to have around.

    Definately. It's noisy, big, heavy. Now I can rightfully say I have a
    "mini-mainframe" in my basement. I know, I know. It's not a mainframe.

    > > It doesn't have the
    > > video option. However, I noticed that X is indeed installed
    > > (probably just as part of Irix 6.5). Is there anyway to get X
    > > server to run in some kind of a virtual frame buffer and use remote
    > > X clients or SSH into an X session?

    > X terminology is different. The software you run on your local
    > machine, and which shows you the displays, is the X server.
    >
    > The software that runs on the distant machine is the X client.

    So I find out. Apparently I'm not the only one confused. BUT, it makes
    sense now that I have done a little googling.

    > Yeah, I know.
    >
    > So ... you can do like I do, which is to run an X server on your
    > laptop, and run the X client on the Challenge. I use XFree86 from
    > Cygwin. It works Just Fine.

    Ok, So I used this commercial X program for windows called XSecurePro
    and using XDCMP it connects and works fine. But I can't get it to work
    on an XFree86 (or Xorg) system. I have tried

    X -query 10.0.0.102
    X -indirect 10.0.0.102

    Where 10.0.0.102 is the Challenge L.

    I would eventually like to custom compile a linux from scratch that is
    specific to this task (I know there are others out there but most are
    filled with too much garbage).

    > -Shel

    Thanks,

    Harout Hedeshian

  6. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Le Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:43:18 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:

    > Any ideas on how to do this?

    How to do what? I just explained to you what to do. Do you have a machine
    with an X server?

    --
    Ne pas savoir de quoi on parle est un avantage dont il ne faut pas
    abuser.

  7. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Le Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:20:48 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:

    > Ok, So I used this commercial X program for windows called XSecurePro and
    > using XDCMP it connects and works fine. But I can't get it to work on an
    > XFree86 (or Xorg) system. I have tried
    >
    > X -query 10.0.0.102
    > X -indirect 10.0.0.102
    >
    > Where 10.0.0.102 is the Challenge L.

    WHat's the error? DOes the X server start but can't connect? first check
    that your X server runs standalone ("startx").

    --
    Les défauts n'apparaissent qu'après que le programme a passé (avec
    succès) la phase d'intégration.

  8. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Le Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:20:48 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:
    >

    > > Ok, So I used this commercial X program for windows called
    > > XSecurePro and using XDCMP it connects and works fine. But I can't
    > > get it to work on an XFree86 (or Xorg) system. I have tried
    > >
    > > X -query 10.0.0.102
    > > X -indirect 10.0.0.102
    > >
    > > Where 10.0.0.102 is the Challenge L.

    > WHat's the error? DOes the X server start but can't connect? first
    > check that your X server runs standalone ("startx").

    The X server starts but it sits there with an ugly X. It does the same
    thing if I give it some fake IP adress.

    What do you mean by standalone?

  9. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Le Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:36:05 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:

    > What do you mean by standalone?

    I mean by itself, withotu trying to connect to some other machine.

    --
    Si ça a l'air facile, c'est difficile. Si ça a l'air difficile, c'est
    carrément impossible. Si ça a l'air impossible, c'est un compilateur

  10. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Le Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:36:05 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:
    >
    > > What do you mean by standalone?

    > I mean by itself, withotu trying to connect to some other machine.

    Oh, yeah. Absolutely it works fine standalone. If I type startx, it
    brings up TWM. I can open up a terminal type a few things and exit. I
    installed a VERY basic linux system whose sole purpose is to connect to
    the Challenge.

  11. X Server Connection Error

    Harout Hedeshian wrote:

    > Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    >
    > > Le Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:20:48 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:
    > >

    > > > Ok, So I used this commercial X program for windows called
    > > > XSecurePro and using XDCMP it connects and works fine. But I can't
    > > > get it to work on an XFree86 (or Xorg) system. I have tried
    > > >
    > > > X -query 10.0.0.102
    > > > X -indirect 10.0.0.102
    > > >
    > > > Where 10.0.0.102 is the Challenge L.

    > > WHat's the error? DOes the X server start but can't connect? first
    > > check that your X server runs standalone ("startx").

    > The X server starts but it sits there with an ugly X. It does the same
    > thing if I give it some fake IP adress.
    >
    > What do you mean by standalone?

    Ok, here are some developments. If I use the linux box and SSH into the
    Challenge, I can run

    /usr/bin/X11/xcalc -display [windows machine w/ commercial X]:0

    and it pops up on the windows machine. When I try to do that to the
    linux machine running X I get the following error:

    Xlib: connection to "[linux machine]:0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

    The X server IS running on the linux box.

  12. Re: X Server Connection Error

    Hi,

    Harout Hedeshian wrote:

    > Ok, here are some developments. If I use the linux box and SSH into the
    > Challenge, I can run
    >
    > /usr/bin/X11/xcalc -display [windows machine w/ commercial X]:0
    >
    > and it pops up on the windows machine.

    Hmm. When using SSH, you can just try 'ssh -X '. This enables
    som nice "automagic" X11 configuration with X11 forwarding (you might
    have to check your SSH server configuration if that's allowed). Then you
    just start your X11 app and it pops up on the machine you started your
    SSH session from.

    Regards,

    Dominik.

  13. Re: X Server Connection Error

    Dominik Schlütter wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Harout Hedeshian wrote:
    >

    > > Ok, here are some developments. If I use the linux box and SSH into
    > > the Challenge, I can run
    > >
    > > /usr/bin/X11/xcalc -display [windows machine w/ commercial X]:0
    > >
    > > and it pops up on the windows machine.

    > Hmm. When using SSH, you can just try 'ssh -X '. This
    > enables som nice "automagic" X11 configuration with X11 forwarding
    > (you might have to check your SSH server configuration if that's
    > allowed). Then you just start your X11 app and it pops up on the
    > machine you started your SSH session from.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Dominik.

    When I do that, I get the following error:

    Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
    forwarding.

    I'm fearing that this may as well be the issue with usind XDMCP

  14. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Le Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:08:22 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:

    > Oh, yeah. Absolutely it works fine standalone. If I type startx, it brings
    > up TWM. I can open up a terminal type a few things and exit. I installed a
    > VERY basic linux system whose sole purpose is to connect to the Challenge.

    Then try this : startx on your linux box, then from your TWM start an
    xterm, set "xhost +", rlogin to the challenge, check that $DISPLAY points
    to your Linux box, and start winterm or something else to check if it's
    all OK.

    --
    Je suis riche des biens dont je sais me passer.
    Louis-Jean-Baptiste Etienne Vigée.

  15. Re: X Server Connection Error

    Le Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:25:50 -0500, Harout Hedeshian a écrit*:

    > When I do that, I get the following error:
    >
    > Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

    And then does something starts or not? Sometimes this message doesn't harm.

    --
    L'Algérie était au bord du gouffre, aujourd'hui elle a fait un grand pas
    en avant.

  16. Re: X Terminal Server on SGI Challenge L

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Then try this : startx on your linux box, then from your TWM start an
    > xterm, set "xhost +", rlogin to the challenge, check that $DISPLAY
    > points to your Linux box, and start winterm or something else to
    > check if it's all OK.

    Ok, Now we are getting somewhere. I was able to launch xcalc from the
    serial terminal onto the laptop X server usring this command:
    "/usr/bin/X11/xcalc -display laptop:0".

    Now, how do I get "X -query" to work? Doing "X -query sgi.localdomain
    && xhost +" didn't work. Xhost gives "Xhost: unable to open display ""
    ". This is most likely because Xhost executes after X quits.

+ Reply to Thread