High kernel heap usage - SGI

This is a discussion on High kernel heap usage - SGI ; Hi, I'am seeing a bad thing on my dual r12k o200 (irix 6.5.26m) : (from osview -ai 1) System Memory Phys 512.0M kernel 480.1M heap 471.0M mbufs 1.7M stream 608.0K ptbl 2.0M fs ctl 3.8M fs data 15.5M delwri 128.0K ...

  1. High kernel heap usage

    Hi,

    I'am seeing a bad thing on my dual r12k o200 (irix 6.5.26m) :

    (from osview -ai 1)
    System Memory
    Phys 512.0M
    kernel 480.1M
    heap 471.0M
    mbufs 1.7M
    stream 608.0K
    ptbl 2.0M
    fs ctl 3.8M
    fs data 15.5M
    delwri 128.0K
    free 12.7M
    data 5.4M
    empty 7.3M
    userdata 0
    reserved 112.0K
    pgallocs 0

    as you cen see the kernel heap is 480 MB so I suspect something is very
    wrong here. The CPUs are nearly always in 100% sxbrk state so the machine
    is barely usable but I see nothing in the logs. This box runs named, ftp &
    apache servers + some perl scripts run with mrtg. The load is quite light.

    Is there anything I can do to reclaim some memory without rebooting or at
    least to know why so much memory is allocated for kernel heap ?

    --
    Herve Boulouis

  2. Re: High kernel heap usage

    On 2005-06-09, Herve Boulouis wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > as you cen see the kernel heap is 480 MB so I suspect something is very
    > wrong here. The CPUs are nearly always in 100% sxbrk state so the machine
    > is barely usable but I see nothing in the logs. This box runs named, ftp &
    > apache servers + some perl scripts run with mrtg. The load is quite light.

    I've finally chosen to reboot the box. I've since kept an eye on kernel
    heap usage and it's slowly but steadily increasing.

    Any thoughts on this ?

    --
    Herve Boulouis

  3. Re: High kernel heap usage

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:12:01 +0000 (UTC), Herve Boulouis
    wrote:

    > On 2005-06-09, Herve Boulouis
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> as you cen see the kernel heap is 480 MB so I suspect something is very
    >> wrong here. The CPUs are nearly always in 100% sxbrk state so the
    >> machine
    >> is barely usable but I see nothing in the logs. This box runs named,
    >> ftp &
    >> apache servers + some perl scripts run with mrtg. The load is quite
    >> light.

    > I've finally chosen to reboot the box. I've since kept an eye on kernel
    > heap usage and it's slowly but steadily increasing.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this ?

    Have you looked at which process is consuming the memory (e.g., using
    'top')?

  4. Re: High kernel heap usage

    On 2005-06-13, Michael Rice wrote:

    > Have you looked at which process is consuming the memory (e.g., using
    > 'top')?

    Yes, no process is larger than 6MB and I'm not sure if kernel heap can be
    associated with a particular process.

    --
    Herve Boulouis

+ Reply to Thread