Slow xterm - SGI

This is a discussion on Slow xterm - SGI ; Hello, xterm takes about 5 sec. to open (uname -R -> 6.5.18m): timex says e.g.: real 5.42 user 0.03 sys 0.08 when I turn off network I get: real 0.12 user 0.01 sys 0.03 I have looked at the network ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Slow xterm

  1. Slow xterm

    Hello,
    xterm takes about 5 sec. to open (uname -R -> 6.5.18m):
    timex says e.g.:
    real 5.42
    user 0.03
    sys 0.08
    when I turn off network I get:
    real 0.12
    user 0.01
    sys 0.03
    I have looked at the network configuration and did not find any obvious
    fault. Any idea?
    Thanks
    Gotthelf

  2. Re: Slow xterm

    I'd double check that DNS is correctly configured, including the
    /etc/resolv.conf file.


  3. Re: Slow xterm

    "josehill@canada.com" wrote:
    >
    > I'd double check that DNS is correctly configured, including the
    > /etc/resolv.conf file.


    Thanks for your reply. I'm sure you are right. However, I've checked
    resolv.conf again. It looks fine.
    When I disable nsd then xterm opens normal.
    "netstat" responds very slowly. "netstat -nr" is fast. "netstat -r" is
    slow.
    There is a strange line in the output of "netstat -r":
    tellur.chemie. localhost UGHS 0 6
    lo0
    tellur is my host and chemie.uni-kl.de is my domain. The same command on
    a
    similar machine gives only the hostname without extension. I have
    checked
    all possible files I can think off where this wrong entry could reside
    to no
    avail. Any idea?
    Thanks
    Gotthelf

  4. Re: Slow xterm

    Dr. Gotthelf Wolmershäuser wrote:
    > "josehill@canada.com" wrote:
    > >
    > > I'd double check that DNS is correctly configured, including the
    > > /etc/resolv.conf file.


    > Thanks for your reply. I'm sure you are right. However, I've checked
    > resolv.conf again. It looks fine.
    > When I disable nsd then xterm opens normal.
    > "netstat" responds very slowly. "netstat -nr" is fast. "netstat -r" is
    > slow.


    Hm, this looks rather to be a name resolution problem. No firewall or
    similar filtering in between your host and the first name server? In
    this case a 'nslookup ' also should be slow.

    > There is a strange line in the output of "netstat -r":
    > tellur.chemie. localhost UGHS 0 6
    > lo0


    I have a similar line (but this is lo interface, that should not matter
    here)

    > tellur is my host and chemie.uni-kl.de is my domain. The same command on
    > a
    > similar machine gives only the hostname without extension.


    I am not sure but I think this depends on the line 'search' in
    /etc/resolv.conv

    > I have
    > checked
    > all possible files I can think off where this wrong entry could reside
    > to no avail. Any idea?


    sorry no other idea except: which shell does xterm use and is there
    some weird environment for this shell?

    Toni
    --
    I am root. If you see me laughing you better have a backup.

  5. Re: Slow xterm

    Toni Grass wrote:
    >
    > Dr. Gotthelf Wolmershäuser wrote:
    >
    > Hm, this looks rather to be a name resolution problem. No firewall or
    > similar filtering in between your host and the first name server? In
    > this case a 'nslookup ' also should be slow.


    No. Fast response.

    > > There is a strange line in the output of "netstat -r":
    > > tellur.chemie. localhost UGHS 0 6
    > > lo0

    >
    > I am not sure but I think this depends on the line 'search' in
    > /etc/resolv.conv


    I have resolved this by changing /etc/sys_id from tellur to the full
    name.
    However, the main problem remains unsolved.
    >
    > sorry no other idea except: which shell does xterm use and is there
    > some weird environment for this shell?


    tcsh as is used with other machines. I don't believe there is any
    connection.

    netstat -r is slow for 2 lines in the output:
    131.246.60 link#1 0xffffff00 UC 0 0
    ec0
    224 link#1 0xf0000000 UCS 0 0
    ec0

    I have a second machine with the same IRIX version with virtually the
    same configuration. I have compared all files and daemons that I can
    think off that deal with network. I don't find any difference. Strange!
    Anyway, thank you for your input
    Gotthelf

  6. Re: Slow xterm

    Dr. Gotthelf Wolmershäuser wrote:

    [....]
    > netstat -r is slow for 2 lines in the output:
    > 131.246.60 link#1 0xffffff00 UC 0 0
    > ec0
    > 224 link#1 0xf0000000 UCS 0 0
    > ec0


    Hm, rather the same here:
    192.168 link#1 0xffffff00 UC 0 0 ef0
    224 link#1 0xf0000000 UCS 0 0 ef0

    but without speed problem


    Toni

  7. Re: Slow xterm

    I'm not sure if this is relevant to the problem you are experiencing
    here, but sometimes every little helps...

    On some machines a slow telnet (as apposed to xterm) connection is
    usually nameing related.

    Things to look for re: network are nameserver search order, order in
    which names are checked (hosts files, nis, dns etc) and that there is
    both a forward and reverse dns entry.

    It might be worth hardcoding in a static IP address/dns in /etc/hosts
    to see if it makes any difference.

    Good luck.

    HTH,

    P.


+ Reply to Thread