IRIX install error - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX install error - SGI ; Hi, I just recently purchased an old O2 200mhz system. It came with a 9gb IBM hard drive, and I am trying to install IRIX 6.5.22. I can get into sash off the cd, but when I go to fx ...

  1. IRIX install error

    Hi, I just recently purchased an old O2 200mhz system. It came with a 9gb
    IBM hard drive, and I am trying to install IRIX 6.5.22. I can get into sash
    off the cd, but when I go to fx I get:

    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    fx: Warning: Failed to open scsi(0)disk(1)part(10)

    Any idea's? Hard drive bad?

    Seth

  2. Re: IRIX install error

    Seth Reid wrote:
    > Hi, I just recently purchased an old O2 200mhz system. It came with a 9gb
    > IBM hard drive, and I am trying to install IRIX 6.5.22. I can get into sash
    > off the cd, but when I go to fx I get:

    [.....]
    > fx: Warning: Failed to open scsi(0)disk(1)part(10)

    > Any idea's? Hard drive bad?

    First check cable, connectors and terminator. I think a loose terminator.

    Toni

  3. Re: IRIX install error

    I opened up the case and I don't see a terminator anywhere, and the only
    cable is the one on the cdrom. It works fine. Out of the two hard drive
    spots, I have one open. Should there be a terminator in there? I Have used a
    couple of O2's, but I have never seen this. The drive os on a sled you plug
    in.

    Seth

    "Toni Grass" wrote in message
    > Seth Reid wrote:
    >> Hi, I just recently purchased an old O2 200mhz system. It came with a 9gb
    >> IBM hard drive, and I am trying to install IRIX 6.5.22. I can get into
    >> sash
    >> off the cd, but when I go to fx I get:

    > [.....]
    >> fx: Warning: Failed to open scsi(0)disk(1)part(10)

    >> Any idea's? Hard drive bad?

    > First check cable, connectors and terminator. I think a loose terminator.
    >
    > Toni

  4. Re: IRIX install error

    Seth Reid wrote:
    > I opened up the case and I don't see a terminator anywhere, and the only
    > cable is the one on the cdrom. It works fine. Out of the two hard drive
    > spots, I have one open. Should there be a terminator in there? I Have used a
    > couple of O2's, but I have never seen this. The drive os on a sled you plug
    > in.

    Every SCSI bus needs to be terminated. Sorry I have no O2, if the
    drive is mounted on a sled the terminator is located on the SCSI
    backplane. But the error message could be also because of a broken pin
    in the connector of the sled or SCSI backplane. For me the error does
    not sound like a dying HD

    Toni

  5. Re: IRIX install error

    Seth Reid wrote:
    > I opened up the case and I don't see a terminator anywhere, and the only
    > cable is the one on the cdrom. It works fine. Out of the two hard drive
    > spots, I have one open. Should there be a terminator in there? I Have used a
    > couple of O2's, but I have never seen this. The drive os on a sled you plug
    > in.
    >
    > Seth

    Do not rely on the lever alone - press cartridge into slot manually!

    Since the mechanisme is made of thin plastic parts it is likely that
    the cartridge has not reached the deep end of the slot and some pins
    do not connect properly. This often happens with the CPU-I/O module.

    The error message you got indeed looks like a broken connection.

    Walther

  6. Re: IRIX install error

    I've read up on stuff. The sled in the o2 is just a guide, so there is no
    way the sled is messed up. I read up on the hard drive thinking there might
    be some jumper setting that might help out. The drive doesn't have to be
    terminated. I assume the scsi backplane does it, or the drive itself
    automatically does it.

    I have pushed the cartridge in as far as I can. Any other ideas or maybe
    something that might clear it up for me more?

    If I go into load the OS through the Maintenance Menu, it gives me a similar
    error:

    bootfile not set, using default.
    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) Unexpected bus Free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) Unexpected bus Free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) Unexpected bus Free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) Unexpected bus Free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) Unexpected bus Free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
    cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
    Unable to open "scsi()disk(1)rdisk()partition(8)": IO error

    what bothers me now is why ther scsi doesn't read a 0 there.

    Seth

    "Walther Mathieu" wrote in message
    > Seth Reid wrote:
    >> I opened up the case and I don't see a terminator anywhere, and the only
    >> cable is the one on the cdrom. It works fine. Out of the two hard drive
    >> spots, I have one open. Should there be a terminator in there? I Have
    >> used a couple of O2's, but I have never seen this. The drive os on a sled
    >> you plug in.
    >>
    >> Seth

    > Do not rely on the lever alone - press cartridge into slot manually!
    >
    > Since the mechanisme is made of thin plastic parts it is likely that
    > the cartridge has not reached the deep end of the slot and some pins
    > do not connect properly. This often happens with the CPU-I/O module.
    >
    > The error message you got indeed looks like a broken connection.
    >
    > Walther

+ Reply to Thread