Putting DNS names in NIS tables. - SGI

This is a discussion on Putting DNS names in NIS tables. - SGI ; Do most of you Unix admins put your DNS names in your NIS host tables? Just wondering, I've heard differing options like you don't need it with resolv.conf or you do if you turn the switch on in /var/yp/Makefile, etc. ...

  1. Putting DNS names in NIS tables.

    Do most of you Unix admins put your DNS names in your NIS host tables?
    Just wondering, I've heard differing options like you don't need it
    with resolv.conf or you do if you turn the switch on in
    /var/yp/Makefile, etc.

    Anyway an example would be:

    # NIS Hosts with DNS names also

    123.4.5.6 fred fred.flintstone.org
    123.4.5.7 wilma wilma.flintstone.org

    What do you do?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Putting DNS names in NIS tables.

    When I was running NIS, long long ago, we explicitly did not keep NIS
    host tables.

    Our /etc/hosts file kept the hosts we needed to maintain access to
    despite DNS failures - NFS servers, NIS servers, and so on, and that
    was it. We didn't want to move that into NIS, because we needed the
    NIS entries before NIS was up, so we'd be splitting our local entries
    into multiple places.. it just seemed like unnecessary work.

    *rereads article*

    Hm. Are you talking about FQDNs, rather than just shortnames? whoof.
    No matter what, if I were using NIS for host name service, I'd put any
    hostname I'd be likely to refer to the server with into NIS, to avoid
    the risk of having one name resolved by one service, and another by the
    other. Consistency of behavior and all that.

  3. Re: Putting DNS names in NIS tables.

    In article <1116942220.307681.265600@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Do most of you Unix admins put your DNS names in your NIS host tables?
    >Just wondering, I've heard differing options like you don't need it
    >with resolv.conf or you do if you turn the switch on in
    >/var/yp/Makefile, etc.
    >
    >Anyway an example would be:
    >
    ># NIS Hosts with DNS names also
    >
    >123.4.5.6 fred fred.flintstone.org
    >123.4.5.7 wilma wilma.flintstone.org
    >
    >What do you do?
    >
    >Thanks

    The main reason for wanting to have host names that are available by dns
    appear in NIS is if you have machines that do not understand dns. For
    example, our old SunOS 4.1.* (Solaris 1.*) machines do not know how to
    use dns (mostly, there are some parts that do). If you need just a few
    names to appear in NIS, you can enter them in the hosts file on your NIS
    master. If you want everything to be available, you would edit the NIS
    make file (/var/yp/Makefile) and place the line 'B=-b' in it near the top.
    There is a comment showing you where. This does not actually load the
    host names into the NIS hosts map. Instead, it causes any query for a name
    not already in the map to cause a dns query to happen and then the result
    is returned as though the name were in the map. If you put the 'B=-b'
    line in your make file, then the only entries that you would need in the
    NIS master's hosts file would be those not in dns or those that you might
    need if dns is down.
    --
    Tom Schulz
    schulz@adi.com

  4. Re: Putting DNS names in NIS tables.

    george.e.sullivan@saic.com wrote:

    > Do most of you Unix admins put your DNS names in your NIS host tables?
    > Just wondering, I've heard differing options like you don't need it
    > with resolv.conf or you do if you turn the switch on in
    > /var/yp/Makefile, etc.
    >
    > Anyway an example would be:
    >
    > # NIS Hosts with DNS names also
    > 123.4.5.6 fred fred.flintstone.org
    > 123.4.5.7 wilma wilma.flintstone.org
    >
    > What do you do?

    Reasons I can think of that someone would want to do this:

    1) DNS is too slow. Actual fix is to correct your broken
    DNS config. Any correct DNS config is at least as fast
    as NIS.

    2) DNS goes down too often. Irrational fear.

    I only put hosts in /etc/hosts that need to be there
    without DNS running.

    In the past I have build NIS tables with all local
    hosts, but the only reason I did that was to build my local
    DNS tables from it.

  5. Re: Putting DNS names in NIS tables.

    Thanks to all who have given input to this. I will keep my DNS healthy
    and my host lite.

  6. Re: Putting DNS names in NIS tables.

    check my short story out..

    http://nova.powix.org/~seeweed/web/motgate.com/
    I tend to put a + for my domain name, since I usually run older BSD-based
    SunOS (4.1.3U1) so my stuff looks like this. (btw, I like the bsd-based
    Operating System using Disk Suite 1.0 so I can have larger that 2.1 Gig )

    /etc/domainname
    +OPENSUNOS.COM

    /var/yp/Makefile.yp
    has
    b=-b

    and walla..
    wrote in message
    news:1116942220.307681.265600@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Do most of you Unix admins put your DNS names in your NIS host tables?
    > Just wondering, I've heard differing options like you don't need it
    > with resolv.conf or you do if you turn the switch on in
    > /var/yp/Makefile, etc.
    >
    > Anyway an example would be:
    >
    > # NIS Hosts with DNS names also
    >
    > 123.4.5.6 fred fred.flintstone.org