configuring sendmail to recieve mail - SGI

This is a discussion on configuring sendmail to recieve mail - SGI ; Hi, I've installed irix 6.5.18F and want to configure sendmail so it will recieve mail. I've punched port 25 through my firewall and all should be working but it's not. I can send mail from my indy to my work ...

  1. configuring sendmail to recieve mail

    Hi,
    I've installed irix 6.5.18F and want to configure sendmail so it will
    recieve mail. I've punched port 25 through my firewall and all should be
    working but it's not.

    I can send mail from my indy to my work account but it won't recieve it
    Any idea what I need to configure?

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    GNU Humour 'Technical Thug'

    http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/know.your.sysadmin.html

    ooooo ooo o8o
    `888' `8' `"'
    888 8 ooo. .oo. oooo oooo ooo
    888 8 `888P"Y88b `888 `88b..8P'
    888 8 888 888 888 Y888'
    `88. .8' 888 888 888 .o8"'88b
    `YbodP' o888o o888o o888o o88' 888o http://www.unix.org/

  2. Re: configuring sendmail to recieve mail

    Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've installed irix 6.5.18F and want to configure sendmail so it will
    > recieve mail. I've punched port 25 through my firewall and all should be
    > working but it's not.
    >
    > I can send mail from my indy to my work account but it won't recieve it
    > Any idea what I need to configure?

    Read about this in the book before, check your maillog see if it says
    reject=550 and relay denied, if so, you need to configure sendmail from
    /etc/mail/access and another file in /etc/mail to allow relay for this
    host, I stopped reading when I see the word "relay"...

    S.Chang

  3. Re: configuring sendmail to recieve mail

    Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've installed irix 6.5.18F and want to configure sendmail so it will
    > recieve mail. I've punched port 25 through my firewall and all should be
    > working but it's not.
    >
    > I can send mail from my indy to my work account but it won't recieve it
    > Any idea what I need to configure?

    DNS? Is there a route defined for mail through to your host?

    Does the email bounce, or just disappear?

    Can you send mail to your indy from your other local machines?

    The sendmail book is rather large, but very good. And it has a nice bat
    on the front. Do you have access to a copy?

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  4. Re: configuring sendmail to recieve mail

    ok I'll give it a shot

    many thanks for info I'm going to look at the files now.

    *********************

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, S.Chang wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I've installed irix 6.5.18F and want to configure sendmail so it will
    > > recieve mail. I've punched port 25 through my firewall and all should be
    > > working but it's not.
    > >
    > > I can send mail from my indy to my work account but it won't recieve it
    > > Any idea what I need to configure?
    > >

    > Read about this in the book before, check your maillog see if it says
    > reject=550 and relay denied, if so, you need to configure sendmail from
    > /etc/mail/access and another file in /etc/mail to allow relay for this
    > host, I stopped reading when I see the word "relay"...
    >
    > S.Chang

  5. Re: configuring sendmail to recieve mail

    oops

    this is the second time where common sence has evaided me.

    I've configured it all fine. I've just not updated the dns to point to the
    ip of the mail server. Yet again my unix skils are fine, my brain and
    memory is failing.

    I'm 23years old and I've the memory of a geriatric.

    *********************

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Tristram Scott wrote:

    > Khalid Schofield wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I've installed irix 6.5.18F and want to configure sendmail so it will
    > > recieve mail. I've punched port 25 through my firewall and all should be
    > > working but it's not.
    > >
    > > I can send mail from my indy to my work account but it won't recieve it
    > > Any idea what I need to configure?
    > >

    > DNS? Is there a route defined for mail through to your host?
    >
    > Does the email bounce, or just disappear?
    >
    > Can you send mail to your indy from your other local machines?
    >
    > The sendmail book is rather large, but very good. And it has a nice bat
    > on the front. Do you have access to a copy?
    >
    > --
    > Dr Tristram J. Scott
    > Energy Consultant

+ Reply to Thread