Wipe hard disks - SGI

This is a discussion on Wipe hard disks - SGI ; How can I wipe clean the system boot disk and other data disks from within IRIX? I want to know that the data has been removed, reformatted in some way. I wish to 'sanitize' prior to selling disks on ebay. ...

  1. Wipe hard disks

    How can I wipe clean the system boot disk and other data disks from
    within IRIX? I want to know that the data has been removed, reformatted
    in some way. I wish to 'sanitize' prior to selling disks on ebay. Do
    government people/security people do this?

    jw

  2. Re: Wipe hard disks

    "Tuesday_nITers" wrote in message
    news:1106867132.438301.226040@c13g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > How can I wipe clean the system boot disk and other data disks from
    > within IRIX? I want to know that the data has been removed, reformatted
    > in some way. I wish to 'sanitize' prior to selling disks on ebay. Do
    > government people/security people do this?

    The government security people have, in the past, approved using the fx
    program doing a few complete disk write-tests as a way of "erasing"
    classified contents up to some level. This is an issue in constant flux and
    varies from security office to security office and nothing I say can
    possibly be authoritative but it has, in the past sufficed for some disks in
    some classified programs. YMMV

    Norm

  3. Re: Wipe hard disks

    "Tuesday_nITers" wrote in message
    news:1106867132.438301.226040@c13g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > How can I wipe clean the system boot disk and other data disks from
    > within IRIX? I want to know that the data has been removed, reformatted
    > in some way. I wish to 'sanitize' prior to selling disks on ebay. Do
    > government people/security people do this?
    >
    > jw

    Somehow I doubt that "the government people/security" sell their old disks
    on ebay.

    The MOD used to "wipe disks" by running a tank over them )

  4. Re: Wipe hard disks

    In article <1106867132.438301.226040@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    Tuesday_nITers wrote:
    >How can I wipe clean the system boot disk and other data disks from
    >within IRIX? I want to know that the data has been removed, reformatted
    >in some way. I wish to 'sanitize' prior to selling disks on ebay. Do
    >government people/security people do this?

    Use dd to write zeros over the entire device.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    "I should have known something was up. She had all her teeth."
    Potential juror re: being arrested for solicting an undercover officer.

  5. Re: Wipe hard disks

    Le Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:11:04 +0000, Buzz Lightbeer a écrit*:

    > The MOD used to "wipe disks" by running a tank over them )

    And the french nuclear abency used the electromagnet from an old
    cyclotron. It even could bend the platters sometimes

    --
    Ce qu'il y a d'enivrant dans le mauvais goût c'est le plaisir
    aristocratique de déplaire.

  6. Re: Wipe hard disks

    my boss suggested using our 1 tesla magnet to destroy data but to be
    honest a hammer and hacksaw does a better job and it doesn't rip your arm
    off in the process.

    You might also try a nuclear weapon but again I'd opt for a hacksaw and
    just cut the disk in half accross the platters when disposing of it. If
    the disk is still useful and the company didn't want it I'd take it home
    and use it. That way it's in safe hands and isn't being trashed (wasted).

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    GNU Humour 'Technical Thug'

    http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/know.your.sysadmin.html

    ooooo ooo o8o
    `888' `8' `"'
    888 8 ooo. .oo. oooo oooo ooo
    888 8 `888P"Y88b `888 `88b..8P'
    888 8 888 888 888 Y888'
    `88. .8' 888 888 888 .o8"'88b
    `YbodP' o888o o888o o888o o88' 888o http://www.unix.org/

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Le Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:11:04 +0000, Buzz Lightbeer a écrit*:
    >

    > > The MOD used to "wipe disks" by running a tank over them )

    > And the french nuclear abency used the electromagnet from an old
    > cyclotron. It even could bend the platters sometimes
    >
    > --
    > Ce qu'il y a d'enivrant dans le mauvais goût c'est le plaisir
    > aristocratique de déplaire.
    > C. Baudelaire.

  7. Re: Wipe hard disks

    DSS used to let us use fx to write all 1's, then all 0's and then
    random
    1's and 0's and would let us certify then santitized.
    Now using tracked vehicles (tanks) is more fun.

  8. Re: Wipe hard disks

    mike_sutton_nospam@yahoo.com wrote:
    > DSS used to let us use fx to write all 1's, then all 0's and then
    > random
    > 1's and 0's and would let us certify then santitized.
    > Now using tracked vehicles (tanks) is more fun.

    Thanks - I think I will use 'fx' and perform Mike's recommendation.
    Thanks for all the input.

    jw

  9. Re: Wipe hard disks

    [snip]

    Thermite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite)

    --
    dlacroix@acm.vt.edu

  10. Re: Wipe hard disks

    >You might also try a nuclear weapon but again I'd opt for a hacksaw and
    >just cut the disk in half accross the platters when disposing of it. If
    >the disk is still useful and the company didn't want it I'd take it home
    >and use it. That way it's in safe hands and isn't being trashed (wasted).

    >Khalid Schofield

    Nuclear hand grenade it is then... how fast can you run?

    )

    --
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other
    bastard die for his." - General George S. Patton

+ Reply to Thread