read install CD on linux - SGI

This is a discussion on read install CD on linux - SGI ; hi i have some octane *without* any cdrom drive and i like to update my stations via a linux server my linux don't want to read the overlays cdroms ??? but it read well all others cdroms ??? after some ...

  1. read install CD on linux

    hi

    i have some octane *without* any cdrom drive and i like to update my
    stations via a linux server

    my linux don't want to read the overlays cdroms ??? but it read well all
    others cdroms ???

    after some tests about xfs filesystems i find THE information: the
    installation-cdroms are in "inst filesystem"

    hows can i read those cdroms on my linux ?

  2. Re: read install CD on linux

    "Patrick CAO HUU THIEN" schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:ctak24$2j5g$1@vishnu.jussieu.fr...
    > hi
    >
    > i have some octane *without* any cdrom drive and i like to update my
    > stations via a linux server
    >
    > my linux don't want to read the overlays cdroms ??? but it read well all
    > others cdroms ???
    >
    > after some tests about xfs filesystems i find THE information: the
    > installation-cdroms are in "inst filesystem"
    >
    > hows can i read those cdroms on my linux ?

    recompile the kernel with EFS support.

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH Mobil: 0171/60 57 963
    D-97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  3. Re: read install CD on linux

    Patrick CAO HUU THIEN writes:

    > i have some octane *without* any cdrom drive and i like to update my
    > stations via a linux server
    >
    > my linux don't want to read the overlays cdroms ??? but it read well all
    > others cdroms ???

    You need EFS support in the kernel.

  4. Re: read install CD on linux

    Atro Tossavainen a écrit :
    > Patrick CAO HUU THIEN writes:
    >

    >>i have some octane *without* any cdrom drive and i like to update my
    >>stations via a linux server
    >>
    >>my linux don't want to read the overlays cdroms ??? but it read well all
    >>others cdroms ???

    > You need EFS support in the kernel.

    ok i'll try

    thanx

  5. Re: read install CD on linux

    Patrick CAO HUU THIEN writes:
    > Atro Tossavainen a écrit :
    > > Patrick CAO HUU THIEN writes:
    > >
    > >> i have some octane *without* any cdrom drive and i like to update
    > >> my stations via a linux server
    > >>
    > >> my linux don't want to read the overlays cdroms ??? but it read
    > >> well all others cdroms ???

    > > You need EFS support in the kernel.

    > ok i'll try

    And you will need to mount the EFS-CDROM with the loop-device like this:

    $ grep efs /etc/fstab
    /dev/sr0 /media/cd_efs efs ro,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,loop 0 0

    That's needed because EFS expects 512byte/block media. It also depends
    on the kernel version, older kernels had a block size conversion built
    into the EFS driver but it was removed because of the redundancy.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  6. Re: [resolved] read install CD on linux

    Thomas Jahns a écrit :

    > And you will need to mount the EFS-CDROM with the loop-device like this:
    >
    > $ grep efs /etc/fstab
    > /dev/sr0 /media/cd_efs efs ro,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,loop 0 0

    after hours of reading....
    .... it's working very well with my fedora core 3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667smp

    (music of victory)

    solution:
    - charge the efs kernel module
    # modprobe efs
    - verify the result
    # cat /proc/filesystem
    efs
    - mounting
    # mount /dev/hda4 /media/cdrom_efs -r -t efs -o loop,noauto
    # cd /media/cdrom_efs
    # ls
    (SGI install stuff)

    thanx a lot thomas

    --
    Patrick CAO HUU THIEN

  7. Re: read install CD on linux

    Thomas Jahns writes:

    > And you will need to mount the EFS-CDROM with the loop-device like this:
    >
    > $ grep efs /etc/fstab
    > /dev/sr0 /media/cd_efs efs ro,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,loop 0 0

    Only if your CD drive is SCSI (actual SCSI, FireWire or USB, or
    ide_scsi), in which case you're likely to hit a kernel panic anyway.

    I've tried this a number of times and _never, ever_ succeeded in
    mounting an EFS CD on anything else but a plain IDE drive without
    triggering a kernel panic. I've reported it on the LKML too.

    Does it work for you? What's the environment like? (We can take this
    to private e-mail if you feel comp.sys.sgi.* no longer is the appropriate
    forum for it.)