Updating messed up my Irix 6.5 - SGI

This is a discussion on Updating messed up my Irix 6.5 - SGI ; I just updated my base 6.5 installation to the 6.5.22. After doing so, it boots up fine, and can log into a user account, but nothing works. The icon catalog won't come up, and none of the icons work at ...

  1. Updating messed up my Irix 6.5

    I just updated my base 6.5 installation to the 6.5.22. After doing so, it
    boots up fine, and can log into a user account, but nothing works. The icon
    catalog won't come up, and none of the icons work at all. Programs won't
    launch. Any ideas? This is an Octane with R10k-250 cpu.

    Matt

  2. Re: Updating messed up my Irix 6.5

    In article ,
    Matt Schafer wrote:
    >I just updated my base 6.5 installation to the 6.5.22. After doing so, it
    >boots up fine, and can log into a user account, but nothing works. The icon
    >catalog won't come up, and none of the icons work at all. Programs won't
    >launch. Any ideas? This is an Octane with R10k-250 cpu.

    If you can log into a user account then many things work.
    Do you get a window to type commands? A desktop?

    Can you compile and run a hello-world app?

    Does
    od -c /usr/bin/mv |head
    work?
    (first line of output would be like
    0000000 177 E L F 001 002 001 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0
    )

    If so then the basic IRIX runtime works.

    Maybe Xsgi is failing to come up, so no graphics apps work?

    David B. Anderson davea at sgi dot com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea
    [Not an X expert, just trying to help get to a more precise
    statement of what works and what does not.]

  3. Re: Updating messed up my Irix 6.5

    Somehow it fixed itself! I re-ran the install of the overlay and everything
    started working great.

    Matt

    "David Anderson" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Matt Schafer wrote:
    >>I just updated my base 6.5 installation to the 6.5.22. After doing so, it
    >>boots up fine, and can log into a user account, but nothing works. The
    >>icon
    >>catalog won't come up, and none of the icons work at all. Programs won't
    >>launch. Any ideas? This is an Octane with R10k-250 cpu.

    > If you can log into a user account then many things work.
    > Do you get a window to type commands? A desktop?
    >
    > Can you compile and run a hello-world app?
    >
    > Does
    > od -c /usr/bin/mv |head
    > work?
    > (first line of output would be like
    > 0000000 177 E L F 001 002 001 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0
    > )
    >
    > If so then the basic IRIX runtime works.
    >
    > Maybe Xsgi is failing to come up, so no graphics apps work?
    >
    > David B. Anderson davea at sgi dot com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea
    > [Not an X expert, just trying to help get to a more precise
    > statement of what works and what does not.]

+ Reply to Thread