250 Mhz R10000 (IP28) inside Indigo2!! - SGI

This is a discussion on 250 Mhz R10000 (IP28) inside Indigo2!! - SGI ; Hi, I found a really strange ebay item. IP28, with R10000 running at 250mhz. I thought it is still "impossible" after I talked to several newsgroupers in the past here. Take a look. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...55&fromMakeTra ck=true At first sight, I thought ...

  1. 250 Mhz R10000 (IP28) inside Indigo2!!

    Hi,

    I found a really strange ebay item. IP28, with R10000 running at 250mhz. I
    thought it is still "impossible" after I talked to several newsgroupers in the
    past here. Take a look.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...55&fromMakeTra
    ck=true

    At first sight, I thought he is wrong and it would be just r4400 at 250 mhz-
    and told him "impossible to have 250mhz r10000 in teal box indigo2; except 195
    mhz under SGI engineers."

    I talked to the owner who have no clue about the specs of this machine. I
    asked him to type "hinv" to give me the info.

    Hinv still listed it as:

    250mhz r10000, (IP28), Elan-GR3 gfx, no blue ribbon.

    He told me he re-checked the motherboard again, and told me it was his mistake,
    it is *NOT* 300 mhz r10000 but still 250, r10000, IP28 for sure. Strange!

    I pointed to him about three different Indigo2 descriptions or "class" to help
    him figure out, emailed to him see below.

    What you think? I think he has a modified/retro form of (C) and was put
    inside in (A); minus blue ribbon; therefore he has "NON-impact" of IP28 but....

    ......how the heck he got the 250 mhz R10000 inside indigo2 IP28 ?!?!

    Mike

    --
    A) When ones sees "non-Impact-ready" (no blue ribbon), it is just regular
    indigo2/teal box, r4400. Unchanged.

    B) When one sees "IMPACT-ready", the cover case of indigo2/teal box is
    converted to purple case with "Impact" label; still using r4400. Blue ribbon
    added for using IMPACT cards if desires, but can still use older grpahics card.
    (B) is called "upgrading graphics".

    C) When one sees "IMPACT", it is normally "pure" indigo2/ purple box, r10000;
    by manufacturer, by default. It has blue ribbon to use impact cards (using
    older graphics cards is possible but uncommon). Only 195mhz available in this
    config. Unchanged.

    Since you mentioned ELAN graphics, I immediately see your Indigo2/teal box is
    "non-Impact-ready" if you dont see blue ribbon. It just like a regular
    Indigo2 - usually IP22. See (A) above.

    BUT however, since you just mentioned "r10000 (IP28)" *AND* still using ELAN
    graphics which strikes me strangely, *AND* no blue ribbon (meaning can not use
    IMPACT cards), then your Indigo2/teal box is STILL "non-IMPACT-ready" category
    (A) under strange circumstances.

    Reason I find your indigo2 "strange" because normally r10000 is inside the
    PURPLE box - not teal box - and purple box uses IMPACT cards by default. see
    (C) above.

    Again, in your strange configuration, you do NOT have a blue ribbon in it;
    still using ELAN and yet using IP28/r10000 so you are probably in the
    retro/modified form of (C) inside of (A).

    For sure, not (B).

    If you are SURE that your indigo2 is using r10000 cpu, then your Indigo2 is
    probably a retro/modified form or "terribly downgraded" form of IMPACT (C) into
    "non-impact" no blue ribbon (A), but still have R10000/IP28 motherboard using
    older graphics.

    In other words....

    Somehow you (or someone) removed the blue ribbon, put the r10000/IP28
    motherboard (C) with older graphics and put it inside the TEAL BOX (A). A big
    mistake cosmetically.

    r10k IP28 motherboard/etc is not supposed to be inside the "teal box".
    r10k/IP28 is for purple box to distingish the difference and to be able to
    *USE* IMPACT graphics and yours does not (which is a waste or pointless).

    That would make sense....except for that darn R10000 *250 mhz*, on your IP28
    board. r4400 only uses 200/225/250/275 mhz for sure but never R10000 at
    250mhz!!!!!

    If hinv says "IP22 using r4400 250 mhz" (no ribbon), your indigo2 would still
    be in (A), nonimpact-ready. That would make sense for me.

    Again, in final conclusion....

    Under strange exceptions, ultra-rare, computer engineer probably borrowed or
    hacked the Octane's R10000 core processor or overclock the r10000 "195mhz" to
    "250mhz" or somehow. SGI engineers in the Internet/newsgroup I talked to says
    "Impossible - was never designed to do that or else motherboard would have
    fried".

    If you have strange-form of r10000 processor (IP28-modified), then your indigo2
    is still a modified form of (C) buried inside (A) category. In other words,
    your case goes like this, you had (C), then someone remove blue ribbon, so it
    is downgraded foolishly to (A), and yet still using r10000, IP28.

    Your indigo2 status: NO blue ribbon, NO purple box, and even using r10000/ip28
    (which is for purple box only) so it is still labeled as "Non-Impact" (A) with
    a strange R10000-modified concealed in a teal box (A-under special case). My
    theory.

  2. Re: 250 Mhz R10000 (IP28) inside Indigo2!!

    It might be an O/C 175 R10000 processor. I read somewhere that someone
    had done that, but not to a 195 R10000 but a 175 R10000. Don't know if
    it's true or not. Richard
    MStepansky wrote:
> [...]

    talked to says
    > "Impossible - was never designed to do that or else motherboard would

    have
    > fried".
    >
    > If you have strange-form of r10000 processor (IP28-modified), then

    your indigo2
    > is still a modified form of (C) buried inside (A) category. In other

    words,
    > your case goes like this, you had (C), then someone remove blue

    ribbon, so it
    > is downgraded foolishly to (A), and yet still using r10000, IP28.
    >
    > Your indigo2 status: NO blue ribbon, NO purple box, and even using

    r10000/ip28
    > (which is for purple box only) so it is still labeled as "Non-Impact"

    (A) with
    > a strange R10000-modified concealed in a teal box (A-under special

  3. Re: 250 Mhz R10000 (IP28) inside Indigo2!!

    I already posted in comp.sys.sgi.marketplace...

    aaron.tristin@comcast.net, hinv:

    hinv -mv
    FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
    CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.5
    1 250 MHZ IP28 Processor
    Main memory size: 128 Mbytes
    Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbyte
    Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
    Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
    Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
    Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
    Integral SCSI controller 1: Version WD33C93B, revision D
    On-board serial ports: 2
    On-board bi-directional parallel port
    Graphics board: Elan GR3
    Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
    Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 1.1.0
    EISA bus: adapter 0

    so is this really IP28 or IP22? for sure it is not an IMPACT because there is
    no blue ribbon inside he said.

    mike

+ Reply to Thread