Running Linux on an Octane - SGI

This is a discussion on Running Linux on an Octane - SGI ; Does anyone have any experience with this, good and bad? I was considering trying a mandrake linux distro on my workstation, but wanted to get some opinions first. And please.. avoid asking the obvious question "why not just use the ...

  1. Running Linux on an Octane

    Does anyone have any experience with this, good and bad?

    I was considering trying a mandrake linux distro on my workstation, but
    wanted to get some opinions first.

    And please.. avoid asking the obvious question "why not just use the
    installed IRIX?"

    Regards,

    -Zack

  2. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    Le Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:06:22 -0800, idyll23 a écrit*:

    > Does anyone have any experience with this, good and bad?

    It simply doesn't run at all, period. You may run Linux on Indy, Indigo2
    and some other systems, with very limited functionality (no audio, no 3D,
    no ISDN, no video...).

    --
    De longs désirs, une longue admiration sans espérance, voilà le moyen
    d'adorer les femmes, et de rendre l'amour une passion délicieuse!

  3. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    Ah.

    Well that's just lovely news. I guess I will just load it up with Irix
    again unless someone else has a differing opinion.

    -Z

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    > Le Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:06:22 -0800, idyll23 a écrit :
    >

    > > Does anyone have any experience with this, good and bad?

    > It simply doesn't run at all, period. You may run Linux on Indy,

    Indigo2
    > and some other systems, with very limited functionality (no audio, no

    3D,
    > no ISDN, no video...).
    >
    > --
    > De longs désirs, une longue admiration sans espérance, voilà le

    moyen
    > d'adorer les femmes, et de rendre l'amour une passion délicieuse!
    > N. Rétif de la Bretonne.

  4. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    Irix is really your only option at this point. One comment about other
    machines is in order however.

    On Indy, a lot of things are now working, though not as well as they do
    with IRIX.

    idyll23 wrote:
    > Ah.
    >
    > Well that's just lovely news. I guess I will just load it up with Irix
    > again unless someone else has a differing opinion.
    >
    > -Z
    >
    > Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    >
    >>Le Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:06:22 -0800, idyll23 a écrit :
    >>

    >>>Does anyone have any experience with this, good and bad?

    >>It simply doesn't run at all, period. You may run Linux on Indy,

    > Indigo2
    >
    >>and some other systems, with very limited functionality (no audio, no

    > 3D,
    >
    >>no ISDN, no video...).
    >>
    >>--
    >>De longs désirs, une longue admiration sans espérance, voilà le

    > moyen
    >
    >>d'adorer les femmes, et de rendre l'amour une passion délicieuse!
    >>N. Rétif de la Bretonne.

  5. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    I'd stick with irix. Even if you could get it to boot you'd just end up
    with a crippled command line linux that's painful to use. Debian runs on
    the Indy so I'm told but I don't really see the point as it's more naff
    than what the indy runs by default lol.

    Though if you have a dec alpha go install BSD it's much nicer to work with
    than OSF. FreeBSD on my dec alpha 2100 5/300 system is nice and
    textmaze running on a terminal is fun too lol

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    GNU Humour 'Technical Thug'

    http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/know.your.sysadmin.html

    ooooo ooo o8o
    `888' `8' `"'
    888 8 ooo. .oo. oooo oooo ooo
    888 8 `888P"Y88b `888 `88b..8P'
    888 8 888 888 888 Y888'
    `88. .8' 888 888 888 .o8"'88b
    `YbodP' o888o o888o o888o o88' 888o http://www.unix.org/

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, idyll23 wrote:

    > Does anyone have any experience with this, good and bad?
    >
    > I was considering trying a mandrake linux distro on my workstation, but
    > wanted to get some opinions first.
    >
    > And please.. avoid asking the obvious question "why not just use the
    > installed IRIX?"
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -Zack

  6. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    "idyll23" writes:

    > I was considering trying a mandrake linux distro on my workstation, but
    > wanted to get some opinions first.

    Does Mandrake Linux support MIPS systems these days? I can only see
    Alpha, Itanium, PowerPC, SPARC, x86 and AMD64 listed on their hardware
    support pages.

    > And please.. avoid asking the obvious question "why not just use the
    > installed IRIX?"

    Why avoid it? It is very much a relevant question if you actually
    want to use the computer. If you're having a hard time finding uses
    (other than dreaming of a peecee OS on a workstation) for an Octane,
    send the machine to me...

  7. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    exactly the reason I asked you to avoid the question..
    smartassed remarks that do nothing more than consume bandwidth.

    please don't make this a pseudo-religious mac vs pc vs SGI discussion.
    All I want is facts and I am getting them.

  8. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    "idyll23" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1105985967.033675.156410@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Does anyone have any experience with this, good and bad?
    >
    > I was considering trying a mandrake linux distro on my workstation, but
    > wanted to get some opinions first.

    There is a Person who have portet the Linux kernel to boot on an r10k
    Octane. He have a page with Screenshots and offers also the patches which
    are needed to the the latest 2.6.10 Kernel to work. Google can help you to
    find out more.....

    regards
    Joerg

  9. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    "idyll23" writes:

    > exactly the reason I asked you to avoid the question..
    > smartassed remarks that do nothing more than consume bandwidth.

    Hey, you seem to have spare computing capacity of the kind I like
    lying around with no good use. What's so smart-assed about asking
    you to give it to somebody who will make good use of it...

    > please don't make this a pseudo-religious mac vs pc vs SGI discussion.

    It never was a religious issue. These are the facts:

    1. Currently the Linux implementations on MIPS-based SGI equipment
    don't make very good use of the machines' capabilities. If you
    want to use MIPS-based SGI hardware to its full potential, you
    need the native OS.

    2. If you want to experiment with Linux, you are best off with x86
    hardware.

    3. My personal likes or dislikes have nothing to do with this. I
    manage Linux on a large number of machines, most of them x86
    (desktops, rack servers between 1-8 CPUs, MOSIX clusters of
    several dozen nodes), but also on PowerPCs and Alphas. I have
    no interest in wasting any of our 40 SGI machines for Linux,
    though.

    4. Macs have nothing to do with this. I run YDL on Xserve and in the
    purpose I am using it for, I wouldn't dream of using OS X instead.

    5. The reverse DNS for NET-63-76-135-128-1 is horribly broken.

  10. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    idyll23 wrote:
    > smartassed remarks that do nothing more than consume bandwidth.

    Of course, searching groups.google would take more bandwidth at first, I'm
    sure you took notice of that and posted your redundant question here.

    However, since usenet is archived, in time posting redundant questions
    will take more bandwidth. Please be more foresighted when posting.

    Regards,

    --
    Khamba Staring
    Disclaimer: my employer and I never agree.

  11. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    HA!
    Thanks Khamba, I can always expect a nice helping of humility from
    usernet.

  12. Re: Running Linux on an Octane

    idyll23 wrote:
    > Does anyone have any experience with this, good and bad?
    >
    > I was considering trying a mandrake linux distro on my workstation, but
    > wanted to get some opinions first.
    >
    > And please.. avoid asking the obvious question "why not just use the
    > installed IRIX?"

    About the only Linux distros that you will find workable on SGI are Debian
    and Gentoo. Linux does currently run on the Octane and I believe framebuffer
    is also currently working. You should hop over to the main Linux/MIPS page
    at http://www.linux-mips.org/ and search through the mailing list archives.
    Also, if you use IRC at all, if you logon to 'irc.freenode.net' and joing
    the #gentoo-mips or #mipslinux channels, you will find the people working
    on the Octane Linux port. Good luck.

    -Steve

+ Reply to Thread