How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts? - SGI

This is a discussion on How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts? - SGI ; I need to know how do I dump the installed ATM Forethoughts drivers, whatever, files, from my Indigo2 primary system drive....to my upcoming new primary system drive. Because I don't have the ATM Forethoughts CD install package. The ATMForethoughts files ...

  1. How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    I need to know how do I dump the installed ATM Forethoughts drivers, whatever,
    files, from my Indigo2 primary system drive....to my upcoming new primary
    system drive.

    Because I don't have the ATM Forethoughts CD install package. The
    ATMForethoughts files came with it when I got the system from ebay.

    Otherwise, if there is no such FibreOptic-to-Ethernet converter cable exists,
    then what's the point of keeping that ATM Forethoughts card in my system, if I
    can just do the Ethernet connection ( between SGIs and PCs) anyway?

    If this ATM forethoughts technology is dead - then I shall take it out and
    install the thicker 3-boardset MaxImpact card in it.

    mike

  2. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    In article <20050106134716.21876.00002521@mb-m14.aol.com>,
    MStepansky wrote:
    >Otherwise, if there is no such FibreOptic-to-Ethernet converter cable exists,
    >then what's the point of keeping that ATM Forethoughts card in my system, if I
    >can just do the Ethernet connection ( between SGIs and PCs) anyway?

    You'd need a lot more than a cable to convert from ATM to Ethernet. They
    use very different approaches.

    >If this ATM forethoughts technology is dead - then I shall take it out and
    >install the thicker 3-boardset MaxImpact card in it.

    That might be more useful to you. Somebody here on Usenet might want to
    buy the ATM board.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Research Associate, Ph.D. Candidate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  3. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    It might be a long shot, but take a look at the /usr/dist directory on
    your original primary system drive...Depending on how the software was
    originally installed, there may be copies of the original installation
    files in the /usr/dist directory. Look for files with "Fore" in their
    names.

  4. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    mstepansky@aol.com (MStepansky) writes:

    > I need to know how do I dump the installed ATM Forethoughts drivers, whatever,
    > files, from my Indigo2 primary system drive....to my upcoming new primary
    > system drive.
    >
    > Because I don't have the ATM Forethoughts CD install package. The
    > ATMForethoughts files came with it when I got the system from ebay.

    We have a ton of these. It used to be possible to get the drivers
    for free from Marconi's TACtics Online, http://tactics.marconi.com/.
    I just checked and it still is. You need to create a public account,
    then go to software downloads / UNIX adapters / IRIX / current, and
    there it is.

    > Otherwise, if there is no such FibreOptic-to-Ethernet converter cable exists,
    > then what's the point of keeping that ATM Forethoughts card in my system, if I
    > can just do the Ethernet connection ( between SGIs and PCs) anyway?

    It is not an Ethernet card.

    > If this ATM forethoughts technology is dead - then I shall take it out and
    > install the thicker 3-boardset MaxImpact card in it.

    It's not dead, but it's not Ethernet. If you can't figure out any good
    uses for it, and don't mind the postage, send it to me (at Institute of
    Biotechnology, PO Box 65, 00014 UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI, FINLAND). :-)

  5. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:

    > It's not dead, but it's not Ethernet. If you can't figure out any good
    > uses for it, and don't mind the postage, send it to me (at Institute of
    > Biotechnology, PO Box 65, 00014 UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI, FINLAND). :-)

    Aha, so there is someone with ATM in an SGI, other than me :-) I must
    confess I don't really use mine, though.

    --
    Pete Peter Turnbull
    Network Manager

  6. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    Pete Turnbull writes:

    > Aha, so there is someone with ATM in an SGI, other than me :-) I must
    > confess I don't really use mine, though.

    When I first started here, I discovered a large carton box full of
    FORE ATM stuff that had been bought way before at a very high price
    and never used since the people involved could apparently not figure
    it out. Oh well...

    It's still the only high-speed network we have for the Indigo2's
    since the 100Mbps Ethernet cards aren't really that cheap (nor
    available, either).

  7. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:
    > Pete Turnbull writes:

    >> Aha, so there is someone with ATM in an SGI, other than me :-) I must
    >> confess I don't really use mine, though.

    > When I first started here, I discovered a large carton box full of
    > FORE ATM stuff that had been bought way before at a very high price
    > and never used since the people involved could apparently not figure
    > it out. Oh well...

    Sounds familiar :-) I've never quite got all mine to work properly, but I
    do have a couple of ATM-to-Ether/FDDI bridges, and a sizeable ATM switch.

    > It's still the only high-speed network we have for the Indigo2's
    > since the 100Mbps Ethernet cards aren't really that cheap (nor
    > available, either).

    I use FDDI for that :-)

    --
    Pete Peter Turnbull
    Network Manager

  8. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    Pete Turnbull writes:

    > Sounds familiar :-) I've never quite got all mine to work properly, but I
    > do have a couple of ATM-to-Ether/FDDI bridges, and a sizeable ATM switch.

    We're running LAN emulation and there rarely are any problems at all.

    > I use FDDI for that :-)

    Haven't got the hardware

  9. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    >I use FDDI for that :-)

    SGI's FDDI implementation was the definition of "rock solid" in our
    hands -- great reliability, excellent performance. I was more than a
    little bummed when it was time to retire the FDDI net.

  10. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    >It's not dead, but it's not Ethernet. If you can't figure out any good uses

    for it, and don't mind the postage, send it to me (at Institute of
    Biotechnology, PO Box 65, 00014 UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI, FINLAND). :-)

    I want to sell the ATM-200 forethought card. I never use it and probably dont
    need it.

    As I post earlier, looking for a buyer (preferably in USA).

    Pls send me the offer/price in this card offline. mstepansky@aol.com.

    Anyone else to compete for pricings?

    mike

  11. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    mstepansky@aol.com (MStepansky) writes:

    > I have decide to use Ethernet (ec0) method instead of ATM-200 adapter, because
    > I dont have the appropriate cables.

    Not just cables, but the whole infrastructure (switches etc).

    > By the way, how fast is ATM-200? Give me the MB (Megabytes) or Mb (Megabit)
    > readings.
    >
    > I assume ATM-200 is about 200 megabits or about 20 MBytes a second, right?

    The 200 is just a FORE label for the card. It's 155 Mbit/s. In
    an Indigo2, using LAN Emulation, it does 8, 9 MB/s on a good day.
    I don't know if Classical IP would improve the figures, we've only
    ever used the LAN Emulation mode.

  12. Re: How do I dump/restore ATM Forethoughts?

    mstepansky@aol.com (MStepansky) writes:

    > As I post earlier, looking for a buyer (preferably in USA).
    >
    > Pls send me the offer/price in this card offline. mstepansky@aol.com.

    Good luck finding a buyer.