How do I format XFS on HD (IRIX 6.5)? - SGI

This is a discussion on How do I format XFS on HD (IRIX 6.5)? - SGI ; I lost instructions on how do I either: 1) format XFS on the primary HD (IBM Ultrastar DNES-309170, 9 GB) before I do a clean re install on inside my Indigo2/HighImpact/R10000. It is a 50 pin/scsi2. Do I have to ...

  1. How do I format XFS on HD (IRIX 6.5)?

    I lost instructions on how do I either:

    1) format XFS on the primary HD (IBM Ultrastar DNES-309170, 9 GB) before I do a
    clean re install on inside my Indigo2/HighImpact/R10000. It is a 50 pin/scsi2.

    Do I have to switch the jumper settings to SE from LVD?

    2) format XFS on the secondary HD (same drive).

    I need instructions on how to format properly in either primary HD (boot up
    drive of courese)....and later on secondary drive for 9 GB extra space.

    Someone told me last year "all you have to do is go into BIOS, and go to format
    drive, thats is" huh?
    I am not sure if primary scsi ID should be a 0 or 7 or 6? but my secondary
    data HD drive is a 4.

    Mike
    mstepansky@aol.com

  2. Re: How do I format XFS on HD (IRIX 6.5)?

    MStepansky wrote:
    > I lost instructions on how do I either:
    >
    > 1) format XFS on the primary HD (IBM Ultrastar DNES-309170, 9 GB) before I do a
    > clean re install on inside my Indigo2/HighImpact/R10000. It is a 50 pin/scsi2.
    >
    > Do I have to switch the jumper settings to SE from LVD?
    >
    > 2) format XFS on the secondary HD (same drive).
    >
    > I need instructions on how to format properly in either primary HD (boot up
    > drive of courese)....and later on secondary drive for 9 GB extra space.
    >
    > Someone told me last year "all you have to do is go into BIOS, and go to format
    > drive, thats is" huh?
    > I am not sure if primary scsi ID should be a 0 or 7 or 6? but my secondary
    > data HD drive is a 4.
    >
    > Mike
    > mstepansky@aol.com

    BIOS?!?!?!?
    Your best bet is to take a look at Ian Mapleson's website, especially
    his excellent document on how to install IRIX 6.5:
    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html

  3. Re: How do I format XFS on HD (IRIX 6.5)?

    :
    : 1) format XFS on the primary HD (IBM Ultrastar DNES-309170, 9 GB) before I do
    : a
    : clean re install on inside my Indigo2/HighImpact/R10000. It is a 50
    : pin/scsi2.

    Assuming this is a clean and blank disk, you'll want to slice it up with 'fx'.
    Google for instructions. You'll then want to "mkfs" it, either from a booted
    IRIX system or from the installer. Google is once again your friend.

    : Do I have to switch the jumper settings to SE from LVD?

    It should auto-detect, but the appropriate jumper setting would be SE.

    : 2) format XFS on the secondary HD (same drive).

    Same procedure.

    : I need instructions on how to format properly in either primary HD (boot up
    : drive of courese)....and later on secondary drive for 9 GB extra space.

    Google is your friend.

    : Someone told me last year "all you have to do is go into BIOS, and go to
    : format
    : drive, thats is" huh?
    : I am not sure if primary scsi ID should be a 0 or 7 or 6? but my secondary
    : data HD drive is a 4.

    Generally you want the system drive to be ID 1, then number up from there.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  4. Re: How do I format XFS on HD (IRIX 6.5)?

    Before I install IRIX 6.5 on the drive...

    I got a blank DNES-309170 9.1 GB drive from ebay as good working condition.

    DNES is supposedly "one step generation higher than DDRS-39130". The drive is
    a SE (meaning Singled-Ended drive).

    I want to give this hard drive an excercise using it as "secondary" drive
    *FIRST*, for testing. Not a boot up.

    The drive was used by somebody's PC or Mac; but I want to use it on the
    Indigo2/HighImpact top drive bay. I know how to put drive in sled.

    Also, I need help with the jumper settings seen on that drive. It says here
    on jumper labels:

    Reading from left to right: 12 [xxxxxxx*xxxx] 1

    Pin# Labels
    --------------------
    1 ID Bit 3 (Spare 50pin, for WIDE)
    2 ID Bit 2
    3 ID Bit 1
    4 ID Bit 0
    5 Enable Auto Spin (*only one jumper is still in pin#5 - left there by
    someone.)
    6 SCSI Terminator On (Do I have to put jumper in there or not?)
    7 Disable Unit Attn
    8 Ti Sync Nego.
    9 Auto Start Delay
    10 Delay Start 6/12
    11 Disable Parity
    12 LED Out

    Any missing jumper(s) should be there above?

    Pin# Labels
    --------------------
    ABCDEFG

    A to E = Reserved
    F = N C
    G = Term. Power On (*jumper is still in Pin #G by someone else.)

    As a test excercise, which jumper settings shown above should I use as a
    Secondary (data) drive?

    I assume there should be a jumper on ID Bit 3 (SCSI-ID #2) for secondary data
    drive, correct?

    I have no clues which jumper settings shown above should I use as a Primary
    (bootup) drive?

    I assume there should be a jumper on ID Bit 4 (SCSI-ID #1) for boot up
    disk/primary, correct?

    Thanks, for help.

    Mike

    Mike