DNS problem - SGI

This is a discussion on DNS problem - SGI ; dns problem i have 2 machines one desktop and one laptop in my house.desktop has two network cards.one connected to internet and other to my local 192.168.100.0 intranet(intranet of just 2 machines using a small hub hehehe).the laptop is also ...

  1. DNS problem

    dns problem
    i have 2 machines one desktop and one laptop in my house.desktop has
    two network cards.one connected to internet and other to my local
    192.168.100.0 intranet(intranet of just 2 machines using a small hub
    hehehe).the laptop is also connected to my 192 intranet.now i want to
    access internet from laptop.One solution that i did is to run a proxy
    server in desktop and in IE of laptop give the address of the
    proxy.this works fine when i use IE but this is useless in case i want
    to connect to a an outlook exchange server which has no setting for
    defining the proxy server(as in yahoo there is such a setting for
    proxy).Can we do the same in microsoft outlook.It works fine on
    desktop but if i wanna use it in laptop its a mess.the other solution
    which is as follows:
    1.Run a DNS server in desktop.Default settings.
    2.Give the address of this server in my network settings in laptop.
    3.Now when i tried to ping some site.it resolves IP address but it
    gives request timed out.this is applicable to all sites.
    check this output

    F:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping -t yahoogroups.com

    Pinging yahoogroups.com [66.218.71.198] with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 66.218.71.198:

    so can anyone guide me in solving this out.
    If there is someother way to resolve the same ,please guide me in
    that.

  2. Re: DNS problem

    Ruchin Kumar wrote:
    > dns problem
    > [...]

    Buy an SGI and install ipfilter.

    --
    Khamba Staring
    Disclaimer: my employer and I never agree.

  3. Re: DNS problem

    On 10 Sep 2004 23:38:36 -0700
    ruchintyagi@hotmail.com (Ruchin Kumar) wrote:

    > dns problem
    > i have 2 machines one desktop and one laptop in my house.desktop has
    > two network cards.one connected to internet and other to my local
    > 192.168.100.0 intranet(intranet of just 2 machines using a small hub
    > hehehe).the laptop is also connected to my 192 intranet.now i want to
    > access internet from laptop.One solution that i did is to run a proxy

    > so can anyone guide me in solving this out.
    > If there is someother way to resolve the same ,please guide me in
    > that.

    AFAIT, DNS is not your problem.
    You want to look into the area of
    NAT - Network Adress translation
    -- google it up for the desktop machine.
    There is a reason the 192.168.x.x networks are called private ones
    and usable for everybody :-)

    If neither of your computers is one of Silicon Graphics aka SGI, this is
    the wrong newsgroup.

    CU,
    Achim

  4. Re: DNS problem