connect vt420 to O2 problem - SGI

This is a discussion on connect vt420 to O2 problem - SGI ; Hi, I have been trying to connect a vt420 to the serial port 1 and port 2 of a O2 IRIX 6.5 without success. There is simply no response from the O2 to the terminal. I modified the /etc/inittab as ...

  1. connect vt420 to O2 problem

    Hi,
    I have been trying to connect a vt420 to the serial port 1 and port 2
    of a O2 IRIX 6.5 without success. There is simply no response from
    the O2 to the terminal.
    I modified the /etc/inittab as well as using the Serial device mangaer
    to add the terminal for the 2 ports.
    The null modem cable is a 3 wired null modem cable:
    DB-9 DB-25
    2 3
    3 2
    7 7
    There is simply nothing displayed on the terminal.
    Any suggestion as to what could have gone wrong?
    Many thanks.

  2. Re: connect vt420 to O2 problem

    Hang Sit Chan writes:

    Have you unplugged the keyboard and mouse from the O2?
    Cheers
    barefoot

    >Hi,
    >I have been trying to connect a vt420 to the serial port 1 and port 2
    >of a O2 IRIX 6.5 without success. There is simply no response from
    >the O2 to the terminal.
    >I modified the /etc/inittab as well as using the Serial device mangaer
    >to add the terminal for the 2 ports.
    >The null modem cable is a 3 wired null modem cable:
    >DB-9 DB-25
    >2 3
    >3 2
    >7 7
    >There is simply nothing displayed on the terminal.
    >Any suggestion as to what could have gone wrong?
    >Many thanks.

  3. Re: connect vt420 to O2 problem

    No, the keyboard and mouse are in their own position.
    Are there any other pins required for the null modem cable?
    Cheers
    Chan

    barefoot wrote:
    > Hang Sit Chan writes:
    >
    > Have you unplugged the keyboard and mouse from the O2?
    > Cheers
    > barefoot
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>I have been trying to connect a vt420 to the serial port 1 and port 2
    >>of a O2 IRIX 6.5 without success. There is simply no response from
    >>the O2 to the terminal.
    >>I modified the /etc/inittab as well as using the Serial device mangaer
    >>to add the terminal for the 2 ports.
    >>The null modem cable is a 3 wired null modem cable:
    >>DB-9 DB-25
    >>2 3
    >>3 2
    >>7 7
    >>There is simply nothing displayed on the terminal.
    >>Any suggestion as to what could have gone wrong?
    >>Many thanks.

  4. Re: connect vt420 to O2 problem

    Hang Sit Chan writes:

    For serial console to work, the keyboard (and mouse?) has to be unplugged
    from your O2.

    Also read the Owner's guide to see what speed the serial port works at
    (9600bps for Octanes). All the info are on techpubs.sgi.com.

    Cheers
    barefoot

    >No, the keyboard and mouse are in their own position.
    >Are there any other pins required for the null modem cable?
    >Cheers
    >Chan

    >barefoot wrote:
    >> Hang Sit Chan writes:
    >>
    >> Have you unplugged the keyboard and mouse from the O2?
    >> Cheers
    >> barefoot
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>I have been trying to connect a vt420 to the serial port 1 and port 2
    >>>of a O2 IRIX 6.5 without success. There is simply no response from
    >>>the O2 to the terminal.
    >>>I modified the /etc/inittab as well as using the Serial device mangaer
    >>>to add the terminal for the 2 ports.
    >>>The null modem cable is a 3 wired null modem cable:
    >>>DB-9 DB-25
    >>>2 3
    >>>3 2
    >>>7 7
    >>>There is simply nothing displayed on the terminal.
    >>>Any suggestion as to what could have gone wrong?
    >>>Many thanks.

  5. Re: connect vt420 to O2 problem

    On 9/8/2004 11:12 PM, Hang Sit Chan wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have been trying to connect a vt420 to the serial port 1 and port 2
    > of a O2 IRIX 6.5 without success. There is simply no response from
    > the O2 to the terminal.
    > I modified the /etc/inittab as well as using the Serial device mangaer
    > to add the terminal for the 2 ports.
    > The null modem cable is a 3 wired null modem cable:
    > DB-9 DB-25
    > 2 3
    > 3 2
    > 7 7
    > There is simply nothing displayed on the terminal.
    > Any suggestion as to what could have gone wrong?
    > Many thanks.

    You need to set the NVRAM 'console' variable to 'd'. You can do this in
    the PROM command monitor using 'setenv console d' or you can do it from
    a root shell using 'nvram console d'. After you do this, all boot
    messages are sent to the serial console.

  6. Re: connect vt420 to O2 problem

    Hi,
    I have a VT100 running on my O2. The trick is to set the baud rate to
    9600bits/sec in /etc/inittab and restart the getty.

    I am using my promary console as graphics

    setenv console g
    in prom.

    The system boots and when it's booted it starts the getty, press enter a
    few times and hay presto. Working. Make sure you have the correct serial
    cable (null modem or streight RS232 cable not sure which I used to be
    honest, so try both).

    I've inserted into /etc/inittab at the end of the file

    #VT100 terminal khalid schofield
    S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

    which makes getty listern on /dev/ttyS1 (comm one).

    Just reboot and have a play with regular serial and cross over serials and
    you'll be working fine. You may want to change the 'vt100' to another
    terminal setting eg: vt220 or what ever works best with your terminal for
    defining it. You will get something with

    S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

    Also the DT9600 means the Dumb Terminal 9600Bits/sec

    It's almost for certain that your terminal is 9600 Bits/sec. You could try
    others from 300 Bits/sec to 9600 Bits/sec.

    But go for the serial cable first

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Michael Rice wrote:

    > On 9/8/2004 11:12 PM, Hang Sit Chan wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I have been trying to connect a vt420 to the serial port 1 and port 2
    > > of a O2 IRIX 6.5 without success. There is simply no response from
    > > the O2 to the terminal.
    > > I modified the /etc/inittab as well as using the Serial device mangaer
    > > to add the terminal for the 2 ports.
    > > The null modem cable is a 3 wired null modem cable:
    > > DB-9 DB-25
    > > 2 3
    > > 3 2
    > > 7 7
    > > There is simply nothing displayed on the terminal.
    > > Any suggestion as to what could have gone wrong?
    > > Many thanks.
    > >

    > You need to set the NVRAM 'console' variable to 'd'. You can do this in
    > the PROM command monitor using 'setenv console d' or you can do it from
    > a root shell using 'nvram console d'. After you do this, all boot
    > messages are sent to the serial console.

  7. Re: connect vt420 to O2 problem

    Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a VT100 running on my O2.

    are you serious? an original vt100? that would be hilarious.

    > The trick is to set the baud rate to
    > 9600bits/sec in /etc/inittab and restart the getty.
    >
    > I am using my promary console as graphics
    >
    > setenv console g
    > in prom.
    >
    > The system boots and when it's booted it starts the getty, press enter a
    > few times and hay presto. Working. Make sure you have the correct serial
    > cable (null modem or streight RS232 cable not sure which I used to be
    > honest, so try both).
    >
    > I've inserted into /etc/inittab at the end of the file
    >
    > #VT100 terminal khalid schofield
    > S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100
    >
    > which makes getty listern on /dev/ttyS1 (comm one).
    >
    > Just reboot and have a play with regular serial and cross over serials and
    > you'll be working fine. You may want to change the 'vt100' to another
    > terminal setting eg: vt220 or what ever works best with your terminal for
    > defining it. You will get something with
    >
    > S1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100
    >
    > Also the DT9600 means the Dumb Terminal 9600Bits/sec
    >
    > It's almost for certain that your terminal is 9600 Bits/sec. You could try
    > others from 300 Bits/sec to 9600 Bits/sec.
    >
    > But go for the serial cable first
    >
    > *********************
    > Khalid Schofield
    > System Administrator / EM Technician
    > Dept. Of Materials
    > University Of Oxford
    > Parks Road
    > Oxford
    > OX1 3PH
    >
    > Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > Tel: 01865 273785
    > Fax: 01865 283333
    > Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html
    >
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Michael Rice wrote:
    >
    > > On 9/8/2004 11:12 PM, Hang Sit Chan wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I have been trying to connect a vt420 to the serial port 1 and port 2
    > > > of a O2 IRIX 6.5 without success. There is simply no response from
    > > > the O2 to the terminal.
    > > > I modified the /etc/inittab as well as using the Serial device mangaer
    > > > to add the terminal for the 2 ports.
    > > > The null modem cable is a 3 wired null modem cable:
    > > > DB-9 DB-25
    > > > 2 3
    > > > 3 2
    > > > 7 7
    > > > There is simply nothing displayed on the terminal.
    > > > Any suggestion as to what could have gone wrong?
    > > > Many thanks.
    > > >

    > > You need to set the NVRAM 'console' variable to 'd'. You can do this in
    > > the PROM command monitor using 'setenv console d' or you can do it from
    > > a root shell using 'nvram console d'. After you do this, all boot
    > > messages are sent to the serial console.

  8. Re: connect vt420 to O2 problem

    In article <4144099C.1A2C49DE@mrnutty.com>,
    SkyWriter wrote:
    >Khalid Schofield wrote:

    >> Hi,
    >> I have a VT100 running on my O2.

    >are you serious? an original vt100? that would be hilarious.

    [ ... ]

    I have an ADM 5 in the back room. The tube is getting weak,
    but I think it still works.

    The ASR-33 os out in the garage.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

  9. Re: connect vt420 to O2 problem

    Gary Heston wrote:

    > In article <4144099C.1A2C49DE@mrnutty.com>,
    > SkyWriter wrote:
    > >Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > >> Hi,
    > >> I have a VT100 running on my O2.

    > >are you serious? an original vt100? that would be hilarious.

    > [ ... ]
    >
    > I have an ADM 5 in the back room. The tube is getting weak,
    > but I think it still works.
    >
    > The ASR-33 os out in the garage.

    yeah, i'm still never comfortable without that old hardcopy console....

    > Gary
    >
    > --
    > Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net
    >
    > Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

+ Reply to Thread