Fried cosmo2 card? - SGI

This is a discussion on Fried cosmo2 card? - SGI ; Hi, I think my cosmo2 card is fried. Everytime I lost videoout my screen flashes like mad and the whole computer locks up. I've done a complete reinstall of irix 6.5.18F and drivers but it's still doing it Does anyone ...

  1. Fried cosmo2 card?

    Hi,
    I think my cosmo2 card is fried. Everytime I lost videoout my screen
    flashes like mad and the whole computer locks up. I've done a complete
    reinstall of irix 6.5.18F and drivers but it's still doing it

    Does anyone have a cosmo2 board they could lend me to test in my Octane?
    Also any advice as where to go from here?

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

  2. MXE FIRED???? Re: Fried cosmo2 card?

    Hi,
    Octane diagnostics
    part number 030-1240-003 XIO slot 12 graphics board GLS783 Rev/D TMEZZ
    board has failed

    is this the texture memory? Bloody memorys constantly failing. This will
    be the seccond batch it's got through. My SE+Tram failed so I had to get
    an MXE board and 5 months later this MXE is fried. Is this normal? Have I
    got the right idea it being the tram board that's failed?

    *********************

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Khalid Schofield wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I think my cosmo2 card is fried. Everytime I lost videoout my screen
    > flashes like mad and the whole computer locks up. I've done a complete
    > reinstall of irix 6.5.18F and drivers but it's still doing it
    >
    > Does anyone have a cosmo2 board they could lend me to test in my Octane?
    > Also any advice as where to go from here?
    >
    > *********************
    > Khalid Schofield
    > System Administrator / EM Technician
    > Dept. Of Materials
    > University Of Oxford
    > Parks Road
    > Oxford
    > OX1 3PH
    >
    > Email: khalid.schofield@materials.ox.ac.uk
    > Tel: 01865 273785
    > Fax: 01865 283333
    > Web: http://www-em.materials.ox.ac.uk/peo...eld/index.html

  3. Re: MXE FIRED???? Re: Fried cosmo2 card?

    Le Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:51:19 +0100, Khalid Schofield a écrit*:

    > is this the texture memory? Bloody memorys constantly failing.

    Try to run any 3D stuff with texture (one of the IRIX demo will be enough)
    and without. If the non-textured demo works fine and the textured one
    crashes instantly, than the TRAM is dead.

    These TRAMS are really build for operating at 20°C, not more... I've
    burnt several of thems, always during summer...

    --
    Toutes les organisations ont leur règles, et les Femmes Algériennes
    doivent avoir aussi leurs règles.

  4. Re: MXE FIRED???? Re: Fried cosmo2 card?

    20Degrees! Wow it's about 35 Degrees in my bedroom when the Octanes
    running. Perhaps it requires air con

    I've not got the octane demo's installed as when I tried to install them
    it complains about not being compatable with my irix ver. eoe.se.base
    ver???

    *********************

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > Le Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:51:19 +0100, Khalid Schofield a écrit*:
    >

    > > is this the texture memory? Bloody memorys constantly failing.

    > Try to run any 3D stuff with texture (one of the IRIX demo will be enough)
    > and without. If the non-textured demo works fine and the textured one
    > crashes instantly, than the TRAM is dead.
    >
    > These TRAMS are really build for operating at 20°C, not more... I've
    > burnt several of thems, always during summer...
    >
    > --
    > Toutes les organisations ont leur règles, et les Femmes Algériennes
    > doivent avoir aussi leurs règles.
    > Kaid Ahmed.

  5. Re: MXE FIRED???? Re: Fried cosmo2 card?

    Le Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:59:09 +0100, Khalid Schofield a écrit*:

    > 20Degrees! Wow it's about 35 Degrees in my bedroom when the Octanes
    > running. Perhaps it requires air con

    Definetely. Actually running an MXI/E at 35°C is a sure way to burn the
    TRAMS! Don't even turn it on when tempreature is over 30°!

    --
    De longs désirs, une longue admiration sans espérance, voilà le moyen
    d'adorer les femmes, et de rendre l'amour une passion délicieuse!

  6. Re: MXE FIRED???? Re: Fried cosmo2 card?

    Khalid Schofield writes:

    >20Degrees! Wow it's about 35 Degrees in my bedroom when the Octanes
    >running. Perhaps it requires air con

    35 C inside! I'd get air-cond, you'll at least find the operator
    experience a bit more enjoyable. I see you've got the SGI bug though so
    that might explain things a bit (all this nice disk array and all and not
    even a $200 window rattler to keep you cool :-)).

    On a more related note, once you have reseat the tram and/or ran the
    diagnostic test on it and still no clear answer you might like to check if
    capacitor/s may have fallen off the tram module (happened to me), they are
    brick shapes about 5mm long, just get them soldered back on if you can
    figure out which ones goes where.

    Here's one I cooked up earlier:
    http://uqconnect.net/~zzppham/sgi/tram.jpg

    And a final note, my Octane trams run very hot (at a guess, eggs would fry
    on it), so my guess is if a tram module is damaged by heat, there would
    most likely be visual blemishes on the module.

    Cheers
    barefoot

  7. Re: MXE FIRED???? Re: Fried cosmo2 card?

    Le Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:31:40 +0000, barefoot a écrit*:

    > And a final note, my Octane trams run very hot (at a guess, eggs would fry
    > on it), so my guess is if a tram module is damaged by heat, there would
    > most likely be visual blemishes on the module.

    I burnt some, but I couuldn't see anything through the huge black heatsink

    --
    Mais monsieur, voudriez-vous que je me l'écorchasse?
    Barbey d'Aurevilly.

+ Reply to Thread