O2 mouse problem - SGI

This is a discussion on O2 mouse problem - SGI ; Hi, I've got a problem with my O2 running 6.5.22m. When I simply logout it sometimes happens that the mouse cursor freezes. I get the usual login window, I can type my username and password and the normal desktop starts, ...

  1. O2 mouse problem

    Hi,

    I've got a problem with my O2 running 6.5.22m.
    When I simply logout it sometimes happens that the mouse
    cursor freezes. I get the usual login window, I can type
    my username and password and the normal desktop starts,
    but the mouse cursor is fixed in the middle of the screen.
    Not even /usr/gfx/stopgfx && /usr/gfx/startgfx will make
    the mouse become alive again. I have to reboot.
    All this only happens sometimes when I logout, not every
    time. You can imagine that running IRIX without a working
    mouse is not much fun.

    TIA
    Dennis

    --
    I'm trying to port NetBSD to my cup of tea, but it keeps kernel panicking
    on refill. This is odd, because I ported it to my toaster and my bookcase

  2. Re: O2 mouse problem

    Dennis Grevenstein writes:

    > I've got a problem with my O2 running 6.5.22m.
    > When I simply logout it sometimes happens that the mouse
    > cursor freezes. I get the usual login window, I can type
    > my username and password and the normal desktop starts,
    > but the mouse cursor is fixed in the middle of the screen.
    > Not even /usr/gfx/stopgfx && /usr/gfx/startgfx will make
    > the mouse become alive again. I have to reboot.
    > All this only happens sometimes when I logout, not every
    > time. You can imagine that running IRIX without a working
    > mouse is not much fun.

    Do you get any messages in the system log?

    We had an O2 that exhibited similar symptoms. The mobo had to
    be replaced because the mouse interface was somehow damaged.
    Fortunately it was under warranty...

  3. Re: O2 mouse problem

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:

    > Do you get any messages in the system log?

    No, there's nothing.

    > We had an O2 that exhibited similar symptoms. The mobo had to
    > be replaced because the mouse interface was somehow damaged.
    > Fortunately it was under warranty...

    That would be a very bad thing...

    I have changed the mouse now and I haven't had any problems
    since then. However, I can't imagine why this could have been
    the problem. The old mouse was okay.

    mfg
    Dennis

    --
    I'm trying to port NetBSD to my cup of tea, but it keeps kernel panicking
    on refill. This is odd, because I ported it to my toaster and my bookcase
    easily enough and it survives bread- and book-replacement fine.

  4. Re: O2 mouse problem

    Just replace the mouse.

    Dennis Grevenstein wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a problem with my O2 running 6.5.22m.
    > When I simply logout it sometimes happens that the mouse
    > cursor freezes. I get the usual login window, I can type
    > my username and password and the normal desktop starts,
    > but the mouse cursor is fixed in the middle of the screen.
    > Not even /usr/gfx/stopgfx && /usr/gfx/startgfx will make
    > the mouse become alive again. I have to reboot.
    > All this only happens sometimes when I logout, not every
    > time. You can imagine that running IRIX without a working
    > mouse is not much fun.
    >
    > TIA
    > Dennis

+ Reply to Thread