I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on" - SGI

This is a discussion on I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on" - SGI ; I have this I2 that I've been trying to get to work. The console has been configured (by the previous owner) to tty1. I have not been given the serial cable. I got a Solid Impact gfx board in the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    I have this I2 that I've been trying to get to work. The console has been
    configured (by the previous owner) to tty1. I have not been given the serial
    cable.

    I got a Solid Impact gfx board in the machine, and I bought a 13W3
    (supposedly for SGI) to HD15 converter. However, when I hooked up a PC
    bucket monitor (Compaq MV740), I get no signal.

    The I2 plays its tune, the LED blinks green, then amber, than green again,
    indicating that the HW passed the tests.

    Q1: is there anything I can do to reset the PROM settings to default, so
    that once again I can input commands from the keyboard, or possibly even get
    video on screen?

    Q2: what is the default refresh rate and the resolution of the Solid Impact
    board? I couldn't find this info on techbpubs. Perhaps my monitor can't sync
    up with the gfx board?

    Q3: if there is no other recourse but for me to get a serial cable, does
    anybody know what the SGI P/N for a mini DIN <---> DB9 is, and where I could
    obtain it (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

  2. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    UNIX admin wrote:

    > I have this I2 that I've been trying to get to work. The console has been
    > configured (by the previous owner) to tty1. I have not been given the serial
    > cable.
    >
    > I got a Solid Impact gfx board in the machine, and I bought a 13W3
    > (supposedly for SGI) to HD15 converter. However, when I hooked up a PC
    > bucket monitor (Compaq MV740), I get no signal.
    >
    > The I2 plays its tune, the LED blinks green, then amber, than green again,
    > indicating that the HW passed the tests.
    >
    > Q1: is there anything I can do to reset the PROM settings to default, so
    > that once again I can input commands from the keyboard, or possibly even get
    > video on screen?

    you should be able to use the nvram command to reset the 'console' prom env,
    assuming you can get to irix, and telnet in or something. i think at some point
    i had actually taken a disk from an indy and plugged it into an indigo2 and it
    worked. that's 'think' not 'know'.

    > Q2: what is the default refresh rate and the resolution of the Solid Impact
    > board? I couldn't find this info on techbpubs. Perhaps my monitor can't sync
    > up with the gfx board?

    usually it's 1280x1024 by 60hz.

    > Q3: if there is no other recourse but for me to get a serial cable, does
    > anybody know what the SGI P/N for a mini DIN <---> DB9 is, and where I could
    > obtain it (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

    can you use a mini DIN to mini DIN? like got an indy there?

  3. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:40:02 +0200, "UNIX admin"
    wrote:

    >I have this I2 that I've been trying to get to work. The console has been
    >configured (by the previous owner) to tty1. I have not been given the serial
    >cable.

    A Mac modem cable works fine. You may need a null modem, and maybe a
    25-to-9 adapter of the correct sexual orientations, but the Mac modem
    cable does the important Mini-DUN-9-to-DB-9 conversion.

    Whatever you use as a serial console should be set up to 9600 BPS, 8
    Data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit ("9600,8,n,1"), and with NO
    handshaking.

    Once you connect that way, you can log in and set anything you need to
    set.

    -Shel

  4. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    On 2004-08-29 06:40:02 +1000, "UNIX admin" said:

    > I got a Solid Impact gfx board in the machine, and I bought a 13W3
    > (supposedly for SGI) to HD15 converter. However, when I hooked up a PC
    > bucket monitor (Compaq MV740), I get no signal.

    Just remember, MGRAS graphics generally likes the monitor to be able to
    sync on green. If the Compaq doesn't do that then you're on a hiding
    to nowhere.

    High-end Sony Trinitrons (and older Apple monitors that use Trinitron
    tubes) will usually sync on green.

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams
    ATMOS Software Productions Pty Ltd

  5. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:16:12 -0700, Sheldon T. Hall
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:40:02 +0200, "UNIX admin"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have this I2 that I've been trying to get to work. The console has been
    >>configured (by the previous owner) to tty1. I have not been given the serial
    >>cable.

    >A Mac modem cable works fine. You may need a null modem, and maybe a
    >25-to-9 adapter of the correct sexual orientations, but the Mac modem
    >cable does the important Mini-DUN-9-to-DB-9 conversion.
    >
    >Whatever you use as a serial console should be set up to 9600 BPS, 8
    >Data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit ("9600,8,n,1"), and with NO
    >handshaking.
    >
    >Once you connect that way, you can log in and set anything you need to
    >set.

    .... unless the previous owner did something daft like set the serial
    port to something other than 9600,8,n,1, of course. If he did, you'll
    have to guess the new speed, though the 8,n,1 part is unlikely to
    change.

    -Shel

  6. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    > you should be able to use the nvram command to reset the 'console' prom
    env,
    > assuming you can get to irix, and telnet in or something. i think at some

    point
    > i had actually taken a disk from an indy and plugged it into an indigo2

    and it
    > worked. that's 'think' not 'know'.

    This machine has no IRIX yet.

    I tried inputting commands with the keyboard "blind", but it didn't do squat
    for my case.

    > can you use a mini DIN to mini DIN? like got an indy there?

    No. All my SGIs are thousands of kilometers away from me. This was supposed
    to be the first piece of SGI equipment on site, used as a control center to
    a horde of servers.

  7. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    > Just remember, MGRAS graphics generally likes the monitor to be able to
    > sync on green. If the Compaq doesn't do that then you're on a hiding
    > to nowhere.

    I thought the 13W3 <---> HD15 adapter is supposed to take care of that?
    This is just a vanilla PC bucket monitor; ultimately, I'd like to be able to
    get a modern PC bucket flat panel display, but I don't know what to pick
    that'll work with the I2?

    > High-end Sony Trinitrons (and older Apple monitors that use Trinitron
    > tubes) will usually sync on green.

    Those are hard to find here.

  8. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    Le Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:42:20 +0200, UNIX admin a écrit*:

    > I thought the 13W3 <---> HD15 adapter is supposed to take care of that?

    No luck. It would require some electronics inside... However most 13W3 to
    hd15 adapters are for Suns and don't work properly with SGIs. You may need
    to remove the small pins to get it to work.

    --
    Si ça a l'air facile, c'est difficile. Si ça a l'air difficile, c'est
    carrément impossible. Si ça a l'air impossible, c'est un compilateur

  9. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:40:02 +0200, UNIX admin wrote:
    > Q2: what is the default refresh rate and the resolution of the Solid Impact
    > board? I couldn't find this info on techbpubs. Perhaps my monitor can't sync
    > up with the gfx board?

    1280*1024 at ~72 Hz I think or something close to that.

    > Q3: if there is no other recourse but for me to get a serial cable, does
    > anybody know what the SGI P/N for a mini DIN <---> DB9 is, and where I could
    > obtain it (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

    I use a Macintosh modem cable plus nullmodem cable/adaptor from
    Reichelt (www.reichelt.de). It has got MiniDIN on one side and
    IIRC DB25 male on the other (i.e. the large serial cable plug).

    Gerhard

  10. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    On 2004-08-29 17:42:20 +1000, "UNIX admin" said:

    > I thought the 13W3 <---> HD15 adapter is supposed to take care of that?
    > This is just a vanilla PC bucket monitor; ultimately, I'd like to be able to
    > get a modern PC bucket flat panel display, but I don't know what to pick
    > that'll work with the I2?

    No such luck, I'm afraid. Trust me in this area: sync on green, or no
    dice. Basically, it's not the cabling that determines sync, it's what
    the monitor is built to support.

    I've been here before, a number of times. I can tell you what ~won't~ work:

    - Many Apple ColorSync monitors (perversely enough)
    - Apple Studio Displays of the weird blue or graphite frogleg format
    ~that use DiamondTron tubes from Mitsubishi~

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams
    ATMOS Software Productions Pty Ltd
    pipeline-at-atmos-dot-com-dot-au

  11. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    In article <4131ab61$0$22817$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    Dafydd Williams wrote:
    > On 2004-08-29 17:42:20 +1000, "UNIX admin" said:
    >
    >> I thought the 13W3 <---> HD15 adapter is supposed to take care of that?
    >> This is just a vanilla PC bucket monitor; ultimately, I'd like to be able to
    >> get a modern PC bucket flat panel display, but I don't know what to pick
    >> that'll work with the I2?

    > No such luck, I'm afraid. Trust me in this area: sync on green, or no
    > dice. Basically, it's not the cabling that determines sync, it's what
    > the monitor is built to support.
    >
    > I've been here before, a number of times. I can tell you what ~won't~ work:
    >
    > - Many Apple ColorSync monitors (perversely enough)
    > - Apple Studio Displays of the weird blue or graphite frogleg format
    > ~that use DiamondTron tubes from Mitsubishi~

    I've also found the following (surprisingly long) list of sync-on-green
    and non-sync-on-green monitors helpful:

    http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php

    --
    My real email address is ``nilssipocde''

  12. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    "UNIX admin" writes:
    > Q3: if there is no other recourse but for me to get a serial cable, does
    > anybody know what the SGI P/N for a mini DIN <---> DB9 is, and where I could
    > obtain it (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

    You could build such a cable yourself. All parts can be had easily from
    any electronics store.

    Ralf Beyer once (IIRC quite more than once) posted an excellent guide to
    making these cables:

    From: Ralf Beyer
    Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.hardware
    Subject: Re: Indigo2 Won't Boot
    Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:48:21 GMT
    Sender: news@arl.army.mil (The News System )

    chyu22@my-deja.com schrieb:

    > If possible, can you tell me how to
    > "start 'ide' from a PC connected to
    > serial port #1"? Where can I find
    > related information? Where can I get
    > the serial cable for Indigo2.
    >
    > Thank you again.
    >
    > Ching-Hsing Yu

    You need a null-modem cable with a DB-9 female connector at the PC end
    and a DIN-8 connector male at the Indigo2 end.

    A null-modem cable with 2 DB-9 female connectors can be obtained from
    electronic stores that sell it in Germany for about 3 US$.

    You need then a DB-9 female to DIN-8 male adapter for the Indigo2 end
    that also exists but which is much more difficult to spot.

    However, you can also build the null-modem cable yourself:

    The DIN-8 serial female port connectors on the Indigo, Indy,
    Indigo2, Challenge S, Challenge M, Power Challenge M, and the
    MENET 4-Enet, 6-serial board (XT-FE-4TX-6A) have the following
    pin assignments:

    ---------
    / 8 7 6 \
    ( 5 4 3 )
    \ 2 1 /
    ---------

    _4D Compatible Pin Assignments (RS-232)
    Pin | Name | Description
    _______|_________|_______________________
    1 | DTR | Data Terminal Ready
    2 | CTS | Clear To Send
    3 | TD | Transmit Data
    4 | SG | Signal Ground
    5 | RD | Receive Data
    6 | RTS | Request To Send
    7 | DCD | Data Carrier Detect
    8 | SG | Signal Ground

    The IBM(R) PC/AT(tm)-like DB-9 male connector pin assignments are:

    -------------------
    \ 1 2 3 4 5 /
    \ 6 7 8 9 /
    ---------------

    Pin | Name | Description
    ____|______|____________________
    1 | DCD | Data Carrier Detect
    2 | RD | Receive Data
    3 | TD | Transmit Data
    4 | DTR | Data Terminal Ready
    5 | GND | Signal Ground
    6 | - | reserved
    7 | RTS | Request To Send
    8 | CTS | Clear To Send
    9 | - | reserved

    For a PC-to-PC serial connection use the schemes (A) and (B).

    For a PC-to-Indigo/Indy/Indigo2/Challenge S/Challenge M/Power
    Challenge M connection use the schemes (A) and (C).

    DB-9 female DB-9 female DIN-8 male
    (A) (B) (C)
    ---------------------------------------
    1 DCD 4 DTR 1 DTR
    2 RD 3 TD 3 TD
    3 TD 2 RD 5 RD
    4 DTR 1 DCD 7 DCD
    5 GND 5 GND 4 SG
    6 - 6 -
    7 RTS 8 CTS 2 CTS
    8 CTS 7 RTS 6 RTS
    9 - 9 -

    Connect the PC or notebook as a terminal to the Indigo2 serial port #1,
    disconnect the Indigo2 keyboard, and set the terminal parameters to
    9600 baud, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, protocol Xon/Xoff, and
    the terminal emulation to DEC vt-100.

    Power-up the Indigo2.

    On the terminal select "Enter Command Monitor" and execute 'ide fe'.

    Regards
    Ralf Beyer

    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  13. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    Thomas Jahns wrote:
    > "UNIX admin" writes:
    >
    >>Q3: if there is no other recourse but for me to get a serial cable, does
    >>anybody know what the SGI P/N for a mini DIN <---> DB9 is, and where I could
    >>obtain it (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

    > You could build such a cable yourself. All parts can be had easily from
    > any electronics store.

    Yes I could, if I could only locate:

    - a mini DIN connector, which is hard to find
    - a cable that has eight wires (possibly even harder to find)
    - a soldering iron

    With the parts and the soldering iron (I don't have one here), it is
    likely that the cost would be as much or more than a premade serial cable.

  14. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    In article <4132487b$0$23693$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
    UNIX admin wrote:

    : - a cable that has eight wires (possibly even harder to find)

    I fear the state of your computer room if you can't find an ethernet cable.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  15. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    > : - a cable that has eight wires (possibly even harder to find)
    >
    > I fear the state of your computer room if you can't find an ethernet cable.

    DUH, why didn't I think of that!

    I suppose I could borrow a soldering iron.

    Now I only have to figure out where to locate the mini DIN8.

  16. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    UNIX admin wrote:
    [ resurrecting Indigo2 ]

    >I got a Solid Impact gfx board in the machine, and I bought a 13W3
    >(supposedly for SGI) to HD15 converter. However, when I hooked up a PC
    >bucket monitor (Compaq MV740), I get no signal.

    The most often quoted solution is to destroy the sync pins in the
    (expensive!) convertor. My favourite solution is to use a monitor
    that can handle 5-poled BNC input (R, G, B, Hsync, Vsync), use a 5
    poled BNC video cable and leave both sync inputs unconnected and
    set the monitor to accept sync on-green. The IIyama Vision Master
    Pro series work well with both SGI and Sun hardware.

    >Q3: if there is no other recourse but for me to get a serial cable,
    >does anybody know what the SGI P/N for a mini DIN <---> DB9 is,
    >and where I could obtain it (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

    The Sun DB 25/DIN 8 for their ancient lunchbox workstations series work
    well; they're rather ubiquitous and cheap (<= EUR 5 apiece).

    scs

  17. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    "S.C.Sprong" writes:

    >UNIX admin wrote:
    >[ resurrecting Indigo2 ]

    >>I got a Solid Impact gfx board in the machine, and I bought a 13W3
    >>(supposedly for SGI) to HD15 converter. However, when I hooked up a PC
    >>bucket monitor (Compaq MV740), I get no signal.

    >The most often quoted solution is to destroy the sync pins in the
    >(expensive!) convertor. My favourite solution is to use a monitor
    >that can handle 5-poled BNC input (R, G, B, Hsync, Vsync), use a 5
    >poled BNC video cable and leave both sync inputs unconnected and
    >set the monitor to accept sync on-green. The IIyama Vision Master
    >Pro series work well with both SGI and Sun hardware.

    Greg Douglas has made a number of posts on comp.sys.sgi.* about why this
    is so, the poster should search for it. The symmtoms exhibited are exactly
    the same as my monitor prior to the lopping off of ALL the small pins.

    >>does anybody know what the SGI P/N for a mini DIN <---> DB9 is,
    >>and where I could obtain it (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

    I paid $20.00 for a mac lc475, put zterm on it, and another $10.00 for a
    mac modem cable and voila! The only hassle I had was figuring out what
    speed the serial port works at which was 9600bps on my octane.

    Cheers
    barefoot

  18. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    barefoot wrote:

    > Greg Douglas has made a number of posts on comp.sys.sgi.* about why this
    > is so, the poster should search for it. The symmtoms exhibited are exactly
    > the same as my monitor prior to the lopping off of ALL the small pins.

    What do you mean, 'lopping off ALL the small pins'??? Are you referring
    to the 13W3 part of the 13W3 <---> HD15 connector, i.e. are you saying
    that if I cut those off on the converter, the PC bucket monitor will/MAY
    start working???

  19. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    In article <41345287$0$23690$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
    UNIX admin wrote:
    >barefoot wrote:

    >> Greg Douglas has made a number of posts on comp.sys.sgi.* about why this
    >> is so, the poster should search for it. The symmtoms exhibited are exactly
    >> the same as my monitor prior to the lopping off of ALL the small pins.

    >What do you mean, 'lopping off ALL the small pins'??? Are you referring
    >to the 13W3 part of the 13W3 <---> HD15 connector, i.e. are you saying
    >that if I cut those off on the converter, the PC bucket monitor will/MAY
    >start working???

    Yes, that's what he's saying--all you should need are the three coaxial
    "pins". Your monitor will stand a better chance of working, but it's
    not a guarantee.

    BTW, if you have a PC and connector that will fit its' serial port,
    you can fake the m-din connector with pieces of #20 or #22 copper wire
    soldered onto the cable from the DB9. Wrap them with any kind of tape
    that's non-conductive (i.e., Scotch tape) leaving about 3/8" (9mm)
    exposed and stick them into the correct sockets in the m-din on the
    back of the I2. Tie the cable to the back of the computer to keep it
    from falling out, and it should last until you get a real cable.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net

    Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

  20. Re: I2 with Solid Impact -- "main screen no turn on"

    Le Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:31:09 +0200, UNIX admin a écrit*:

    > the PC bucket monitor will/MAY
    > start working???

    Yep. Cut off all the small pins on the 13W3 side of the converter.

    --
    on passe la moitié de son temps à refaire ce que l'on n'a pas eu le
    temps de faire correctement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast